• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

42 Years Ago Today

Nixon had nothing to do with the war in Vietnam that the students were protesting? Coulda fooled me, and I was in the army when all of that crap was going down.

"Nixon's government declared war on its own citizens, sending a military unit to kill unarmed students for exercising their First Amendment rights."

It's amazing how you delude yourself into thinking the things you do. Most of your claims have no basis in reality. Nixon sent the national guard to kill students? Give me a break. Just because you happened to be in the Army during Vietnam (if I recall correctly you didn't even go), that doesn't give you any special insight into what was going on, or any special moral authority to pontificate about the evils of the Nixon administration.

Nixon had nothing to do with the war in Vietnam that the students were protesting? Coulda fooled me, and I was in the army when all of that crap was going down.

Nixon did not send in the national guard to kill students, which is what you said he did. Did Nixon have to do with Vietnam? Of course. So did LBJ, Kennedy, and Eisenhower.

Nixon's government declared war on its own citizens, sending a military unit to kill unarmed students for exercising their First Amendment rights.

I was on active duty in the U.S. Army when that happened. Remember it well....and it is still as sickening today as it was then.

This was a terrible tragedy. But, of course, you cant help yourself from throwing in your over the top politicized opinions. Nixon didnt send the national guard in to kill unarmed students. By your own words, you ruin the very purpose of your post.

Nixon's name was on my draft order, resulting in my having to leave my job, my wife, and my 9-week old son for two years. That's reason enough for me. And believe me, that was as real as it gets.

Really? That's as real as it gets? How about the guy who has to leave his family, actually goes to Vietnam, gets his legs blown off, comes back to people accusing him of being a child murderer, is left by his wife, and can't get a job? No, I guess you're right. You had it rough.

I never said that I wasn't very lucky...nor claimed to be anything that I wasn't. I was very lucky. That doesn't change the fact that Nixon promised to end that war during his 1968 campaign.....and it was still going on six years later when he resigned. If he had ended that war like he promised he would do in 1968, more than 20,000 of those men whom you are talking about would not have been killed during those six years......and neither would have those four students at Kent State.

Nixon did end the war. By January 1973, the only remaining U.S. forces were military advisors. I presume that you are going to hold a grudge against Obama for leaving advisors in Iraq? Damn you Obama, and damn your War of Choice in Iraq!

So Richard Nixon was very involved in that tragedy, no matter who gave the decision to initiate it. Without Nixon's war, it would never have happened.

Only that's not what you said. At all. You said that Nixon ordered the National Guard to kill the students.

The irrational blame you assign to Nixon for the Vietnam War would be hilarious if it wasn't obvious that it was completely driven by your hate for Republicans. All this sanctimonious bullshit you spew is just hyper-partisanship blanketed in a bizarre martyr complex, justified by two years of military service that didn't see you leave the safety of the United States.

"Richard Nixon has never been one of my favorite people anyway. For years I've regarded his existence as a monument to all the rancid genes and broken chromosones that corrupt the possibilities of the American Dream; he was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena and the style of a poison toad. The Nixon I remembered was absolutely humorless; I couldn't imagine him laughing at anything except maybe a paraplegic who wanted to vote Democratic but couldn't quite reach the lever on the voting machine." ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Why aren't we blaming JFK and LBJ here? Nixon decelerated the war. Both JFK and LBJ accelerated it. They also backed some pretty fucked up regimes in S. Vietnam.

Nixon and Kissinger basically got the same deal in 1973 that they could've had in 1969. He tried to get a better deal by bombing them into submission, but didn't.

My father, who is hardly a bastion of liberalism, got into a bit of trouble back in the late 80s when he was in charge of showing Kissinger around town and took the time to tell him exactly what he thought of his Vietnam policy many years after the fact. Kissinger was furious and wanted him canned. The ambassador told him he'd look into it, but he and my dad just laughed it off with dad getting a "You know you really shouldn't do that" nod-nod-wink-wink.

Dad has also vowed to visit LBJ's grave before he dies just so he can piss on it.

Nixon and Kissinger basically got the same deal in 1973 that they could've had in 1969. He tried to get a better deal by bombing them into submission, but didn't.

My father, who is hardly a bastion of liberalism, got into a bit of trouble back in the late 80s when he was in charge of showing Kissinger around town and took the time to tell him exactly what he thought of his Vietnam policy many years after the fact. Kissinger was furious and wanted him canned. The ambassador told him he'd look into it, but he and my dad just laughed it off with dad getting a "You know you really shouldn't do that" nod-nod-wink-wink.

Dad has also vowed to visit LBJ's grave before he dies just so he can piss on it.

No, that's just completely false. In '69 Hanoi wanted a unilateral American withdrawal and the overthrow of Thieu before they would even begin ceasefire negotiations. In '73, we got a negotiated bilateral withdrawal, and Thieu remained in power.

No, that's just completely false. In '69 Hanoi wanted a unilateral American withdrawal and the overthrow of Thieu before they would even begin ceasefire negotiations. In '73, we got a negotiated bilateral withdrawal, and Thieu remained in power, and our POWs were returned.

Not going to pretend like I know the situation behind this seeing as I'm a youngin, but....

They were throwing rocks at the people with the guns after a weekend long riot and not dispersing when they were required to by law?

Bringing a rock to a gunfight? LOL crazy hippies.

Back