• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

42 Years Ago Today

Truly a disgusting act by a morally bankrupt president. I still can't believe someone as bright and honorable as Eisenhower was able to tolerate Nixon's presence.

Let's put blame where blame is due. Kent State falls on James A Rhodes, who was the Ohio governor at the time.

kent-four+dead.jpg

Last edited:
Just read the Wiki. Appears that the orders to fire on the students were unexplainable. They were dispersing and were at least 50 - 75 yards away from the Guard troops.

Not going to pretend like I know the situation behind this seeing as I'm a youngin, but....

They were throwing rocks at the people with the guns after a weekend long riot and not dispersing when they were required to by law?

^that's right. Are you implying they deserved to be killed for that? Arrested maybe. Two of them were kids going to class, not involved in the protest. And two were women. There is no reason I can think of for the National Guard to open fire into a crowded college campus whatsoever.

^that's right. Are you implying they deserved to be killed for that? Arrested maybe. Two of them were kids going to class, not involved in the protest. And two were women. There is no reason I can think of for the National Guard to open fire into a crowded college campus whatsoever.

Yeah you're definitely right. One of them probably just got trigger happy after getting hit in the head. Then the rest followed suit. Contagious shooting if you will.

I really can't blame this one on the governor that called them in, just the few natl guard members that started shooting

Of course, I'm not quite sure who's responsible for choosing rubber bullets.....

One of the survivors came and spoke at my high school. Really scary story AND it clearly turned him into a lifelong tin foil hat wearing conspiracy theorist.

In the weeks and months following this tragic event, the media honored the victims by airing pictures of them on the news. Unfortunately the only pictures they could get access to was their 5th grade school pictures.

Wake had demonstrations after that too. They were really a rather shallow affair. I was reading a really interesting book - Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man - and so I couldn't get into the student revolution. At one point, I took a break and walked over to Reynolda, where the big debate was whether or not the coeds should sign out from their dorms for the overnight occupation of the administration building. "Some revolutionaries we are!" I thought and went back to my reading. End result was that taking final exams was optional that year. And the war dragged on.

Wake had demonstrations after that too. They were really a rather shallow affair. I was reading a really interesting book - Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man - and so I couldn't get into the student revolution. At one point, I took a break and walked over to Reynolda, where the big debate was whether or not the coeds should sign out from their dorms for the overnight occupation of the administration building. "Some revolutionaries we are!" I thought and went back to my reading. End result was that taking final exams was optional that year. And the war dragged on.

This post is begging, pleading for a Harv/Marv sighting

Nixon had nothing to do with it. It was the National Guard, after all, a body controlled by the state governor. And within that NG unit, there were a few skittish types.

Back