Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SPIN's 100 Greatest Guitarists Of All Time

My Bloody Valentine is the worst band ever.

OMG, Vernon Reid of Living Colour is on that list. They stink.

I saw them open for the Stones in 91 and play Xmas jam a few years ago and they were terrible both times.
    Last edited by ChrisL68; 05-04-2012 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Medlin View Post
    My Bloody Valentine is the worst band ever.
    You spelled "Queen" wrong.

Its too bad too - the discussion of the best guitarists is always a good one. Instead of this hipster bullshit, we could be arguing Hendrix vs. Page vs. Clapton, etc.

I am not a big metal fan either, but Dave Mustaine blows away every metal guitarist on that list. The chord progressions that guy plays are just not natural.

Its funny because I saw a youtube with him and Dave Navarro (#80) showing him this chord progression that Mustaine invented, and Navarro was just shaking his head.
    Last edited by ChrisL68; 05-04-2012 at 11:29 AM.

Looks like SPIN made the all too common mistake of confusing "best" with "favorite."

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL68 View Post
    I am not a big metal fan either, but Dave Mustaine blows away every metal guitarist on that list. The chord progressions that guy plays are just not natural.

Its funny because I saw a youtube with him and Dave Navarro (#80) showing him this chord progression that Mustaine invented, and Navarro was just shaking his head.
    spider chord

I am going to assume that maybe 2 people ariound here have ever heard of John Fahey. He absolutely belongs on a top 10 list of greatest guitarists.

godeacs

Quote Originally Posted by Marquee Moon View Post
    I am going to assume that maybe 2 people ariound here have ever heard of John Fahey. He absolutely belongs on a top 10 list of greatest guitarists.
    Lesser-known but similar to Townes Van Zandt, especially in lifestyle. I don't know if I'd put him in top-10 but Fahey was great. His live stuff was always much better than studio.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Karma View Post
    Maybe he posted it to be mocked.
    No, he posted it because Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd were on it.

Quote Originally Posted by TR1982 View Post
    No, he posted it because Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd were on it.
    among others:

godeacs

Ira Kaplan of Yo La Tengo @ #97 is a flat out crime. The dude is seriously underrated and can flat out wail on a guitar.

Andy Gill belongs on the list (and is on it):

godeacs

A lot of my favorite artists on this list (glad to see Nels Cline get love, but I don't think they use the word "somnambulent" correctly), but there's no way they belong in a discussion of "greatest," especially the following:

Annie Clark (St. Vincent) - I am batshit crazy about St. Vincent, check out their version of Big Black at Bowery Ballroom (LOL at Steve Albini being ranked so highly and they specifically call out Kerosene, a great tune, but again, not so complex), but as awesome/sexy/punk as she is, she's nowhere near technically gifted enough to be here.
    Syd Barrett - great songwriter, at least in my opinion, but i don't even consider his guitar playing all that revolutionary. pretty standard psych/experimental stuff.
    PJ Harvey - utterly brilliant, maverick musician, but WTF? as it suggests, she's a minimalist. not a ton of impressive technical stuff going on, and her voice is the real instrument.

Then their #1 choice? They are clearly just vying for cred with this list, but they kinda disrespect a lot of the greatest, most influential guitarists by just handpicking some lo-fi and underground legends.

Bad list, but it's clear they weren't going for conventional. At least they had the sense to put Moore and Ranaldo as a tandem. Thurston gets the credit all too often, but I think Ranaldo is the better player (and it's his sig guitar that I have and not Thurston's). Same with Moon's favorite Television tandem.

Oh, and I love St. Vincent's stuff, but yeah, Townie, she's more of an effects player than a technically gifted player. I dig her style, though. There's a lot to be said about making the guitar a canvas rather than just an instrument.