• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The REAL Greatest Guitarists of All Time

Love Dire Straits. Certainly one of my top 10 bands. Side one of Making Movies is the fo shizzle.

Hendrix is #1. By far.

I have Page at #2. EVH #3.

Clapton doesn't even make my list. After Cream, he really did little to impress me. Even the greatness of Layla is due to Duane Allman and not EC.

But best guitarist is really subjective (duh). There are so many incredibly skilled guitarists out there who can shred better than Hendrix or Page, but shredding isn't what it was all about. If it was, Eddie Van Halen would be tops.

Oh, and the new VH made me go back and revisit the VH catalog with Roth. I was never a fan of EVH's style, but the guy was fucking amazing and pretty much set the bar for everything that came after him. An entire generation grew up trying to learn his tricks. And when you listen to him now, it's not just his lead playing that impresses, but his rhythm playing style that incorporates so many cool flashes. Awesome player and I'm glad they put out something new for a new generation.

Hendrix is #1. By far.

Clapton doesn't even make my list. After Cream, he really did little to impress me. Even the greatness of Layla is due to Duane Allman and not EC.

But best guitarist is really subjective (duh). There are so many incredibly skilled guitarists out there who can shred better than Hendrix or Page, but shredding isn't what it was all about. If it was, Eddie Van Halen would be tops.

Oh, and the new VH made me go back and revisit the VH catalog with Roth. I was never a fan of EVH's style, but the guy was fucking amazing and pretty much set the bar for everything that came after him. An entire generation grew up trying to learn his tricks. And when you listen to him now, it's not just his lead playing that impresses, but his rhythm playing style that incorporates so many cool flashes. Awesome player and I'm glad they put out something new for a new generation.

He was great once upon a time:

Hendrix is #1. By far.

And the cocaine

derek+and+the+dominos.jpg

That's is the smallest group of pupil sizes I have ever seen.

That's is the smallest group of pupil sizes I have ever seen.

It would have been fun to hang out in Florida for the layla sessions, though I'd have preferred sunny southern france for the exile sessions

Hendrix is #1. By far.

Clapton never plays a "wrong" note, and I love the way he builds his solos. Page makes my head hurt some of the time.

My favorite current rock guy is Frusciante.

hendrix is #1. he played a different instrument than anyone before or after. anyone who says otherwise is not allowed to participate in the discussion.

after that the debate begins.

I think Page is overrated too. He is a great guitarist, but not #2 or #3.

hendrix is #1. he played a different instrument than anyone before or after. anyone who says otherwise is not allowed to participate in the discussion.

after that the debate begins.

i wouldn't call a lefty guitar a "different instrument"

jk, it goes Hendrix

everyone else

clapton on hendrix (paraphrased) - "you told me he was good, but you didn't tell me he was that fucking good"

My #1 all time is SRV, but Tom Morello, Jack White and Neil Young are my living favorites.

Of course it's a joke. I still think he is greatly under appreciated as a guitar player, but nowhere near the best in the world.

Yup, everyone knows that Mark Tremonti is your favorite.

I love Robertson, but he's not very versatile, and he almost always played with the same tone.

Obviously Trucks is a beast, but another guy who's very technically great is Jake Cinninger from Umphrey's McGee.

My #1 all time is SRV, but Tom Morello, Jack White and Neil Young are my living favorites.

I underrate Jack White, I'll admit it, but it's a shame he just now got his first #1 record. His stuff with the White stripes makes this look like child's play, and I like the new album.

I love Robertson, but he's not very versatile, and he almost always played with the same tone.

Obviously Trucks is a beast, but another guy who's very technically great is Jake Cinninger from Umphrey's McGee.

Derek Trucks is the best guitar player I've ever seen.

Here are some others I've seen:

Eric Clapton (past his prime, but also a lifetime of practice)
Buddy Guy
Warren Haynes
Trey Anastasio (flame away, he's technically brilliant, if a poor songwriter)
Jimmy Page (w/Allison Krauss, it was a weird show, and he played acoustic the whole night)
Nels Cline
Jonny Greenwood
Brock Butler (look up Sundog by Perpetual Groove)
Keith Richards
Robert Randolph
Jake Cinninger (apetit mentioned, he's insanely good)
J Masics
Buckethead (some have speculated it's Eddy Van Halen)

So many more. Derek Trucks is a good.

lol I had no idea who Tremonti was and had to Google him. Not a big Creed fan.

I've seen

BB King
Eric Clapton
Jimmy Page
Keith Richards
Buddy Guy
Jerry Garcia
Carlos Santana
Warren Haynes
Lee Ranadlo
Thurston Moore
Derek Trucks