• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The REAL Greatest Guitarists of All Time

Prince not even being mentioned in this thread is a joke.

My favorites have been listed already, so I'll throw the Edge into the conversation.

I think you have to separate guitarists by genre. If not, give me Ben Monder or Kurt Rosenwinkel any day of the week.

Derek Trucks is the best guitar player I've ever seen.

Here are some others I've seen:

Eric Clapton (past his prime, but also a lifetime of practice)
Buddy Guy
Warren Haynes
Trey Anastasio (flame away, he's technically brilliant, if a poor songwriter)
Jimmy Page (w/Allison Krauss, it was a weird show, and he played acoustic the whole night)
Nels Cline
Jonny Greenwood
Brock Butler (look up Sundog by Perpetual Groove)
Keith Richards
Robert Randolph
Jake Cinninger (apetit mentioned, he's insanely good)
J Masics
Buckethead (some have speculated it's Eddy Van Halen)

So many more. Derek Trucks is a good.

Trucks is amazing...anybody who can play for the Allman Bros as a teenager has gotta be something special.

lol I had no idea who Tremonti was and had to Google him. Not a big Creed fan.

When Creed dumped Scott Stapp, they hired Myles Kennedy and formed Alter Bridge. Totally different than Creed. I dare say it's actually good.

oh brother. he's good, don't get me wrong, but that's like saying LD Williams is the best dunker of all time /thread

you're clearly (homoerotically) biased.

When I read 27's post, I assumed he was being sarcastic. Mayer is a good guitar player, but belongs nowhere near the top 10.

I think he was 13. He sat in with the Allmans on Statesboro blues that night.

It depends on what you are looking for. George Harrison and Jerry Garcia were unbelievable guitarists, they just weren't shredders. Pos rep to the Vernon Reid reference. Prince as well. EVH will always be a bad ass. Agree also that as far as shredding, the list begins and ends with Hendrix.

It depends on what you are looking for. George Harrison and Jerry Garcia were unbelievable guitarists, they just weren't shredders. Pos rep to the Vernon Reid reference. Prince as well. EVH will always be a bad ass. Agree also that as far as shredding, the list begins and ends with Hendrix.

Hendrix was in no way a shredder. That style of playing wasn't even invented when he died. I really don't like that style anyway.

I agree about Garcia, but not Harrison, who doesn't belong in the same category as the guys on this thread.

A couple of blues guys I like are Joe Bonamassa and Robben Ford.

yeah, hendrix wasn't a shredder. he was an alien. not really playing the guitar, more like the guitar was part of his soul.

to expand, jimi hendrix could not read or write music. yeah, he just played

Back