• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The REAL Greatest Guitarists of All Time

PhilliesDeacs

Reaction score
I can't find Guitar World's top 100 list outside of book form. Perhaps someone owns a copy? Or is more adept at the interwebz to find it.

My Top 5
1. Page
2. Clapton
3. SRV
4. Hendrix
5. Buckingham

Discuss.

Certainly some might good ones there. So many over the last 50 years...What makes for "REAL" and "greatest"? I can't make a list as I have neither the time nor the inclination to sort out almost innumerable favorites, because that is what it would wind up being: favorites.

Rolling Stone just redid their list from a few years ago, and Duane Allman went from #2 to like #16 or something. WTF?

Will this list include classical and or flamenco guitarists? Most of those guys and gals are pretty bad-ass players, last time I checked.

I have a good friend whose knowledge of music old and new is so vast that he makes me look like boogity. His tastes are impeccable.

He rarely agrees with me. His nickname for me and my musical opinions is "Captain Hyperbole."

When I stated that the greatest known live guitar performance other than Jimi at Monterey are Television's "Little Johnny Jewel" (1978) and "Marquee Moon" (1978--Portland), he agreed.

Here is the Little Johnny Jewel performance.

Save yourself some time and skip ahead to the 7:30 minute mark.

Television is the greatest guitar band of all time.

That's a good jam. I don't know if it is the greatest jam of all time, but he is shredding.

That's a good jam. I don't know if it is the greatest jam of all time, but he is shredding.

you know, chris, in their day,Television was sometimes referred to as "The Grateful Dead of punk." Of course, it was not intended as a compliment.

Certainly some might good ones there. So many over the last 50 years...What makes for "REAL" and "greatest"? I can't make a list as I have neither the time nor the inclination to sort out almost innumerable favorites, because that is what it would wind up being: favorites.

I always thought of "greatest" as the guys who can not only shred, but WRITE great guitar parts. Melodies mixed with lyrical harmony, a rhythm section, etc. That's why the great rock guitarists were always more impressive to me than the classical guys or the kids on youtube.

I like Slash's guitar-playing better than Hendrix, but I think Hendrix is "greater" if that makes sense.

Shame on this thread for not mentioning Mark Knopfler.

John Mayer /endthread

oh brother. he's good, don't get me wrong, but that's like saying LD Williams is the best dunker of all time /thread

you're clearly (homoerotically) biased.

oh brother. he's good, don't get me wrong, but that's like saying LD Williams is the best dunker of all time /thread

you're clearly (homoerotically) biased.

gay_man_dwarf.jpg

Back