• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Employers in U.S. Added Fewer Jobs Than Forecast in April

People leaving the workforce in April - 550,000. New jobs - 115,000. Yay!!

how many of those were boomers retiring???

My bad you have never had an interest in telling the entire story.

Month to month job figures are extremely volatile, not the best representation of the job market.

ELC- April 2012 has many boomers retiring. That was the date I quoted.

Because it is convenient.

We have the lowest percentage of people in the workforce in the last 30 years. That is not good. I don't think there's much more to say. It sucks.

dude...

smaller government payroll....check

unemployment bennies end for those out of work, and they go live with relatives or whatever but they are off the dole, resulting in the 'fewer people in the workforce' stat....check

tax cuts still in place...check

You got everything you have wanted. those are the goals of conservatives. This is the conservative agenda.

You think there are employers out there with open positions for all these people, but they just refuse to work or file for unemployment so they can go live off their family? What in the world are you talking about? Its up to the private sector to carry the recovery, and it is slower than your little heart desired, so your response is "it sucks."

strong position there chief

Last edited:
Bake, that's just the conservative mantra. They get what they want then bitch at the government when it fails. They pride themselves on being job creators then blame government when they don't create jobs. They control the resources and then complain about the economy.

Those of us paying attention have been told that this will continue to happen for the foreseeable future. And Caturday is right; month to month non-farm payroll job reports are volatile and not really an indicator of anything...

In my opinion, ISM data is far superior to whatever U-3 comes out with

dude...

smaller government payroll....check

unemployment bennies end for those out of work, and they go live with relatives or whatever but they are off the dole, resulting in the 'fewer people in the workforce' stat....check

tax cuts still in place...check

You got everything you have wanted. those are the goals of conservatives. This is the conservative agenda.

You think there are employers out there with open positions for all these people, but they just refuse to work or file for unemployment so they can go live off their family? What in the world are you talking about? Its up to the private sector to carry the recovery, and it is slower than your little heart desired, so your response is "it sucks."

strong position there chief

I have no idea what you are talking about because my entire point is the jobs picture SUCKS. Yet many people here (apparently you not among them) are trying to pretend the picture doesn't suck. It sucks. And at some point in time they have to stop pretending it doesn't suck.

The rest of your points are silly. And you know it.

We have 30 million Americans out of work. The fact we've lost 500K government jobs since Obama took office isn't surprising. Local and state governments have been hurt by the recession. Shocker. Those 500K jobs lost represent something like 3% of government workers and less than 1/2 of 1% of the total workforce.

Raising tax revenues in a recession may be necessary to deal with our debt less we reach the point of no return on being able to service it and maintain some semblance of a government. It will do nothing to solve chronic unemployment. 500K government jobs lost out of 30 MM Americans out of work. You are right. The private sector has to hire to pull us out of this mess. The environment that promotes hiring has to exist. And raising taxes on the private sector won't assist in that effort - never mind the fact we now have the highest corporate tax rate in the industrialized world.

People running out of unemployment benefits and still not having work - sucks. It also should not result in the calculation of the unemployment rate going down. So I agree with you. It sucks. And it shouldn't be slight of hand used to put lipstick on a pig.

We even have people here trying to point to baby boomers leaving the workforce as the reason why our percentage of Americans in the workforce is plummeting. Baby boomers, aged 48-66 represent 25.3% of our population. They are starting to die and leave the workforce (despite their overall anemic savings habits). Millenials aged 17-34 represent 25% of our population. They are still making their way INTO the workforce. As one group has started to leave another group has been entering and still will be for several years to come. So while that is a nice storyline, it doesn't explain why the picture sucks.

It sucks because many people have just given up looking for work.

So what are your ideas for getting the private sector to hire since we both agree they will be the ones to lead us out of this mess.

I am trying to figure out how some of you are trying to pin this on a group of people that essentially have no power and have not had any for 3 1/2 years.

I am trying to figure out how some of you are trying to pin this on a group of people that essentially have no power and have not had any for 3 1/2 years.

Does anybody think the economy would be much different if the Pubs were in power? We didn't just go through a normal economic downturn in 2008 We fell off a cliff.

We would likely be dealing with harsher austerity measures which would be supressing the economy more.

Last edited:
Does anybody think the economy would be much different if the Pubs were in power? We didn't just go through a normal economic downturn in 2008 We fell off a cliff.

We would likely be dealing with harsher austerity measures which would be supressing the economy more.

I certainly don't. There is very little difference between Republicans and Democrats apart from rhetoric. THat was my point...it is funny to see the party in power trying to blame this on the policies of the party that is not in power.

Despite differences, I think we all agree the jobs, unemployment, and underemployment situation is really bad and without improvement our country is in a big big mess. This makes me wonder why in the world we won't take advantage of the opportunities offered in the energy sector as by opening up more oil and gas, and pursuing LEGITIMATE green opportunities (not Solyndra for example), most people say we can add $1 trillion to our economy and growth very quickly along with good paying jobs. It seems ripe with opportunities that we should be aggressively pursuing.

Sports, the GOP is more about beating Obama than helping the country. The CBO said Obama's jobs bill would have cut 1% off of unemployment this year and would have added over 2% to the GDP.

The GOP has spit in the face of the unemployed and of employers. They have put politics over country consistently for the past two years unlike either party has in the past seventy-five years (if not much longer).

Sports, the GOP is more about beating Obama than helping the country. The CBO said Obama's jobs bill would have cut 1% off of unemployment this year and would have added over 2% to the GDP.

The GOP has spit in the face of the unemployed and of employers. They have put politics over country consistently for the past two years unlike either party has in the past seventy-five years (if not much longer).

Disingenuous on so many levels don't know where to start, or just fire one zinger back...decisions decisions. I'll go with full counterattack.

First and foremost, it's convenient to forget that DEMOCRATS controlled the Presidency, the House, and the Senate for the first two years of the Obama presidency. Why the hell didn't he present his "jobs" bill then??? Oh wait, he DID. Then he called it a "stimulus" bill that's right almost forgot. Oh, but wait again, those jobs were "shovel ready" and GUARANTEED to keep the unemployment under 8 (read that EIGHT) percent IF we all joined together in BIPARTISAN love to vote for it.....and YES WE CAN and DID......ONLY to find out that unemployment not only exceeded 8% in early 2009 but it CONTINUES to be above 8% but by GOD if it hadn't been for the STIMULUS golly gee whizzakers we would have had over 10% unemployment!!!!! Oops, wait, we did. And still do if math was done right. And let's not forget all the HIGH PAYING quality jobs that Obama's created leading to rampant UNDEREMPLOYMENT....

so yeh, Obama's policies PROPOSED AND PASSED by the DEMOCRATS led to this unemployment mess and THEY have ownership of it now. Its the worst economy since the Depression and the Dems can't pass it off on anyone else. It's their bailiwick RJ so finally man up and accept it.

FOOTNOTE: The Dems STILL control the Presidency and the Senate and you think because the House has a slight Republican majority it's stopping everything? That's too much BS for a year much less one day. The least Reid could do is pass a damn budget. Oh yeh, he got the jobs bill to the floor in 48 hours so where the hell is the budget?

Back