• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Eagle Scouts Returning Awards

Do you agree with their actions?

• Former Boy Scout (non-Eagle) - in support

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • Former Boy Scout (non-Eagle) - do not support

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Eagle Scout - I'm sending mine back

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Eagle Scout - I support them, but wont send mine back

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Eagle Scout - I do no support what they're doing

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • Former Girl Scout - support

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Former Girl Scout - do not support

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
If AWakeKnight's idea of a pussy is someone who doesn't know how to operate large machinery or fix a dishwasher, then I am a giant fucking pussy. I can't fix shit.

Whelp knight has had his annual complete meltdown.

Not sure if I find this or the "my brother is a fighter pilot" thread more entertaining.

Watch out his bro can send a heat seeking missile up your ass.

If AWakeKnight's idea of a pussy is someone who doesn't know how to operate large machinery or fix a dishwasher, then I am a giant fucking pussy. I can't fix shit.

womp womp me too

Awake sounds a lot like this guy:

986162.jpg

Holmes,

Your trolling game needs a ton of work. No more than 24 hours before you made this post you gave me posrep in another thread specifically for doing exactly what you said.

Sweet. Keep it up. I could say my idea of a pussy is someone who hasn't worked on a farm growing up. If ya haven't bailed 2,000 bails of hay before the time you're 13 you're a pussy. Everyone has their outliers, since I'm definitely a pussy under a good amount of that criteria. I haven't been around grass or a yard in like twelve years.

My post wasn't meant to be read with any malice, more like disbelief. Like, "damn, you went to an enormous amount of effort to produce something that was a 1/10 on the humor scale."

Some people find calling someone a pussy funny. I preferred saying the same thing but more subtly. Your method didn't get me defensive about how I was breastfed, which is inherently funny.

A pussy can't fix or repair his surroundings. He struggles to understand how common appliances and other simple structures such as furniture, chachkis, and rudimentary household machines function. He refuses to repair any of these things out of fear of causing further harm. He does not experiment with his surroundings.

Phan: How does this couch work?
Ph: I don't know. I'm still struggling with the tiny porcelain animals.
Palma: Which end of the light bulb do I screw in?

AWK: I KNEW IT. A BUNCH OF PUSSIES!

Reactions: ITK
so based on the poll so far, 67% of the general pit population supports the idea of sending back one's award and 50% of the Eagle population. I wonder what the break down would be if it were change to "would you support the formation of a group of Eagle Scouts who plan to retain their awards but are organizing to make a call for Scouting to be more inclusive by dropping the gay ban?"

i would think both percentages would jump.

Note: I didn't read about the last 60-70 posts once the thread devolved.

My husband is an Eagle Scout and our son will be in his first year of Webelos this year. We had long and difficult discussions over the last few weeks about whether we should allow our son to continue in Scouting. We are fortunate that our pack is extremely tolerant and this never ever comes up. I'm pretty sure that we have at least one boy in our pack with two moms. Yes, I'm sure it's sort of a DADT situation, but still, no one is kicking them out. That said, both my husband and I are extremely unhappy with BSA on this issue, although he does not intend to return his Eagle. We eventually decided that BSA would be better served by having more parents like us involved with the organization (if nothing else, to help "protect" our pack) and by eventually having inclusive young men (like I hope our son will be) as members.

Just saw Dented's post above...my husband would definitely join that group.

(realtalk) Boy Scouts were the kids who couldn't hit baseballs in my town. (realtalk)

I will chime in once more so that there aren't seemingly only anti- voices on this thread from the Eagle Scouts. Aside from all the mud-slinging, AWakeKnight has made a few salient points, though as I messaged him, I disagree wholeheartedly with his stance and message. To add on to my original post, I will put my letter here that I am sending this weekend as soon as my mom ships me my award from NC. Something addressed a few pages back was whether or not I would keep the spot on my resume, or continue to call myself an Eagle Scout after giving up the badge/certificate/card. Even though I am in the midst of a 9+ month fruitless job search where I know for certain every competitive edge is vital, I will be removing my Eagle Scout part from my resume. For those that want to be a part of a new campaign that would include Eagle Scouts for tolerance or something along those lines, I would gladly pledge my support, because I think it's an excellent plan. I want to be a part of anything that could restore a bit of face to the proud institution of BSA. Though I would never ask others to give in their badge, because I know exactly how much hard work, time, and patience went into earning it, I would ask those who have taken a stance against this issue to reconsider their support. Simply thinking this will be ineffective is no reason not to support equality, regardless of your feelings on marriage or even homosexuality. The simpler question is whether you would deny your fellow man the privilege of joining the institution you once were a part of. As I hope my letter communicated, I hope someday Eagle Scouts and Boy Scouts across the nation can come together to pressure the Executive Board into changing its stance.

To the BSA National Executive Board,

My name is Townie, and I’m 24 years old. I earned my Eagle Scout award in 2005. I was a Webelos, Cub Scout, Boy Scout, and then Eagle Scout, and am a Brotherhood member of the Order of the Arrow. For more than ten years growing up, I reaped the manifold benefits of membership in the venerable institution of the Boy Scouts of America. Being surrounded by my friends and their parents (some of whom were not heterosexual) while in Boy Scouts gave me a sense of belonging, purpose, and most importantly, community.

From Citizenship in the Community, to Citizenship in the Nation, and finally Citizenship in the World, I began to understand that beyond merit badges and camping trips, I was being shaped to enter the global community at large, and that in order to do so, I was meant to have respect for the natural and the human world, including ALL of its inhabitants. Many of my fellow Eagle Scouts have already expressed more eloquently and fully than I ever could the disappointment we feel about the BSA’s stance towards openly homosexual membership. I will only add this. I try to live my life by the tenets of the Boy Scout Law, to be trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent. Apropos this letter, I try my hardest to be friendly, courteous, and kind to everyone I encounter, no matter how similar or different they are to me.

Please find enclosed my Eagle Scout award.

I speak for many of my fellow Scouts when I say that I hope someday the organization will change its policy towards openly homosexual members. Until that day, consider the act of sending in my award. Receiving it was one of my proudest accomplishments, so I hope giving it back communicates the strength of my feelings to you.

Regards,

TownieDeac
Eagle Scout, Troop 911
Brotherhood of the Arrow, Wahissa Lodge

Wait, Knight is making fun of someone for spending a lot of time on an unfunny post, when he wrote that whole "pussy" post?

Townie, thanks for sharing your letter. It's extremely eloquent (not that I'd expect any less from you!). I'd love to think it will make someone at BSA HQ think twice, but unfortunately I think they are just too invested in this whole policy right now to consider the many ramifications of their stance.

Eagle Scouts deserve to do whatever they want with the fruits of their labor. Kudos to all, that's an incredible achievement that I feel doesn't get enough praise.

Right now people my grandfather's age still make up a majority of the leadership in the organization. I think once my father's generation takes over we will see a marked change in BSA policy. 50 years from now, when Townie and I step up to the leadership plate, we probably won't even have to deal with the issue.

Yes, and to be honest that was one of our deciding factors in choosing to keep our son involved in Cub Scouts. We want to make sure that the upcoming leadership isn't just made up of people who think this policy is the best.thing.ever for saving their precious boys from those nasty gay people.

I will chime in once more so that there aren't seemingly only anti- voices on this thread from the Eagle Scouts. Aside from all the mud-slinging, AWakeKnight has made a few salient points, though as I messaged him, I disagree wholeheartedly with his stance and message. To add on to my original post, I will put my letter here that I am sending this weekend as soon as my mom ships me my award from NC. Something addressed a few pages back was whether or not I would keep the spot on my resume, or continue to call myself an Eagle Scout after giving up the badge/certificate/card. Even though I am in the midst of a 9+ month fruitless job search where I know for certain every competitive edge is vital, I will be removing my Eagle Scout part from my resume. For those that want to be a part of a new campaign that would include Eagle Scouts for tolerance or something along those lines, I would gladly pledge my support, because I think it's an excellent plan. I want to be a part of anything that could restore a bit of face to the proud institution of BSA. Though I would never ask others to give in their badge, because I know exactly how much hard work, time, and patience went into earning it, I would ask those who have taken a stance against this issue to reconsider their support. Simply thinking this will be ineffective is no reason not to support equality, regardless of your feelings on marriage or even homosexuality. The simpler question is whether you would deny your fellow man the privilege of joining the institution you once were a part of. As I hope my letter communicated, I hope someday Eagle Scouts and Boy Scouts across the nation can come together to pressure the Executive Board into changing its stance.

To the BSA National Executive Board,

My name is Townie, and I’m 24 years old. I earned my Eagle Scout award in 2005. I was a Webelos, Cub Scout, Boy Scout, and then Eagle Scout, and am a Brotherhood member of the Order of the Arrow. For more than ten years growing up, I reaped the manifold benefits of membership in the venerable institution of the Boy Scouts of America. Being surrounded by my friends and their parents (some of whom were not heterosexual) while in Boy Scouts gave me a sense of belonging, purpose, and most importantly, community.

From Citizenship in the Community, to Citizenship in the Nation, and finally Citizenship in the World, I began to understand that beyond merit badges and camping trips, I was being shaped to enter the global community at large, and that in order to do so, I was meant to have respect for the natural and the human world, including ALL of its inhabitants. Many of my fellow Eagle Scouts have already expressed more eloquently and fully than I ever could the disappointment we feel about the BSA’s stance towards openly homosexual membership. I will only add this. I try to live my life by the tenets of the Boy Scout Law, to be trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent. Apropos this letter, I try my hardest to be friendly, courteous, and kind to everyone I encounter, no matter how similar or different they are to me.

Please find enclosed my Eagle Scout award.

I speak for many of my fellow Scouts when I say that I hope someday the organization will change its policy towards openly homosexual members. Until that day, consider the act of sending in my award. Receiving it was one of my proudest accomplishments, so I hope giving it back communicates the strength of my feelings to you.

Regards,

TownieDeac
Eagle Scout, Troop 911
Brotherhood of the Arrow, Wahissa Lodge

So do you remove it from your resume?

Back