• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Falls to 92nd in Directors' Cup Standings

Our glory years for the Director's Cup were the 7 years from '01-'02 through '06-'07. During those years our average finish was 36th, we peaked at 23 in '06-'07 and never finished lower than 44th.

During those years, FH dominated, with 3 national champs, a runner-up and 2 other final 4s. That team accounted for 16.5% of our points by itself. The M and W golf teams were consistently strong, scoring every year and, together, accounting for almost 23% of our points. The M and W soccer teams were also very strong, scoring every year (except men in '01-'02) and throwing in a final 4 and a couple of elite 8s for the men. Together they accounted for over 16% of our points. Finally, the M&W tennis teams were also very consistent, scoring every year except the women missed one - and accounting for right at 16%.

So, FH, golf, soccer and tennis accounted for like 71% of our scoring.

W cc and M basketball both also did well during this period and the T&F and baseball teams were contributing occasional points.

The decline over the past 5 years can be traced to: both cc teams and baseball have disappeared and the t&f teams have practically disappeared. Both tennis teams have really dropped off. M basketball is in the crapper and it appears that FH is in decline.
Both golf teams scored last year but were down - if they drop out of scoring we are really in trouble going forward.

Off Topic. Sylvia Johnston, widow of Johnny Johnston who coached Arnie at Wake, passed yesterday.

Well, I guess my onslaught of information pretty much shut this thread down!

What's the deal with track and field? I don't know anything about it, but you guys are making it sound like we're fielding a club team.

Sounds like we may not have a full slate of scholarships allocated to it?

Also, I happen to know that athletes don't like the new coach (athletes brought in by what's-her-face admittedly, but they didn't like her either).

We were 23rd in 2007. Thanks Bzzz.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...p/auto_pdf/2011-12/misc_non_event/finalD1.pdf

http://www.statefansnation.com/index.php/archives/2012/08/01/directors-cup-final-standings-2012/

"In an interesting point, Wake Forest’s AD Ron Wellman has always seemed to be highly regarded and well respected for the work he has done in Winston-Salem. However, Wake Forest has fallen all the way to 92nd after being as high as 23rd back in 2007 and has fallen off 16, 21 and 18 spots in each of the last 3 years."

We can change it to #111 in the standings now.
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...pdf/2012-13/misc_non_event/apr25DIrelease.pdf

Eat it Georgia Tech. Sucks to be you at 121.

How do you guys expect us to compete without a women's bowling team?

We were 23rd in 2007. Thanks Bzzz.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...p/auto_pdf/2011-12/misc_non_event/finalD1.pdf

http://www.statefansnation.com/index.php/archives/2012/08/01/directors-cup-final-standings-2012/

But guys, we went to the Orange Bowl in 2007! Wellman and Grobe deserve lifetime contracts. Wellman should be able to hire his friends and fire successful coaches without any explanation.... leaving the rest of the basketball world wondering WTF he was thinking.

I don't think that anybody thinks this.

Given their age and current job performance, it certainly appears that some of Wake's leadership believe this.

92nd is definitely lower than is acceptable. That being said, it will always be difficult for Wake to maintain a position in the top 40 on this list. We can get there every once in a while when several teams have good years, but, we simply do not field teams in enough of the sports to be consistently high in this list - it is not reasonable to expect us to.

It should be no more difficult for Wake than for anyone else. Florida State only participates in one more sport than we do and they are consistently in the top ten nationally in the Director's Cup standings.

IIRC, you count your top 10 men's and top 10 women's sports out of the whole list - we barely field enough teams to count - so we have to count them all. We don't have swimming&diving(m&w), wrestling, lacrosse, softball, rowing, fencing, water polo, bowling, gymnastics (m&w), ice hockey (m&w)... etc. etc.

I posted about this in another thread. We are one of five ACC teams that field less than 20 teams. That is not a valid excuse.

Our focus needs to be on competing in the sports we field, if we do that we will naturally move up this list - but we will never be near the top. Anytime we finish in the top 30 is pretty much miraculous.

This is part of the problem. This is LOWF thinking. If other schools can do it, so can we. But you will never do it if you don't believe that you can. We need an AD who believes we can and works to help us overcome the issues standing in our way. We obviously do not have that leadership, at any level.

Last edited:
Ouch... Washington State at 213. They're last out of any major conference team by far.

A great reminder that things can... and probably will get much worse. Thanks Ron!

Director's Cup results part-way through the year don't mean that much - one run to a high NCAA finish in an obscure sport can push a school way up. Those results can serve to point out trends wrt specific teams and such, but, one school being ahead of another at some point during the season doesn't necessarily mean a lot.

Similarly, the final results for one year may not mean that much - surprisingly good or bad performances by a couple of teams can push a school way up or way down in the rankings. More important are sustained, multiple-year performances and trends. Unfortunately, for us, and for Wellman, that bodes especially poorly for us at the moment.

That is why I agree with folks that these standings give additional ammo against Mr. Wellman - my only point in the other thread was that the primary focus should be on basketball, then football - then Director's Cup...

Some results are curious to me, though - like our FH program. We were dominant on a national level for 8-10 years and now we can't even make the NCAA tourney (only 16 teams) for two years? We have the same coach, right? What happened? Did we lose funding, scholarships, assistant coaches? Did our coach lose her edge and should Wellman fire her? I don't know but if we can't fire a coach 6 years removed from winning an ACC title, it seems like it would be tough to fire a coach it is tough to fire a coach 8 years removed from 3 nattys in a row...

BTW, for those of you that want to get fired up about the fact that we are currently in 111th place in the standings as of Apr. 25 and who think my position that it is very difficult for us to consistently place high in these rankings is LOWF... I just went and looked at the current results - what they call the winter season includes 15 sports for which you can earn points. Of those 15, we field teams in 4. That's right, 4 out of 15 (M/W basketball and M/W T&F) - and we scored zero points...

The fall season includes 8 sports and we actually field teams in 7 of them. The problem is that only M/W soccer scored any points for us and they both got points for 17th place (so I guess that means they made the field of 32 and lost). M/W CC failed to score - and they used to get us points all the time, field hockey didn't score and they used to dominate, fb didn't score and vollyball didn't score (they never have). We don't field a water polo team.

As I have pointed out all along, all of our teams have to perform in order for us to do any good - and they are not right now.

Back