• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Two Nights in Austin - What to do?

leftcoastdeac

Robert O'Kelley
Reaction score
I've got two nights in Austin next week (business trip). What are your must-see's / must-do's / must-eat's?

I prefer rock, blues, and jazz for live music (no dance clubs).

Night 1) Go to a Texas Longhorns football game
Night 2) Go see Austin City Limits live

See what's playing at either Antones or the Continental Club. Take a stroll around Town Lake. Take a dip in Barton Springs, a natural cold spring that stays 68 degrees year round. Incredibly refreshing in the summer heat.

Sullivan's or Eddie V's for steak. Trudy's or Polvos for Tex-Mex. Homeslice or Backspace for pizza.

New bar area in town is Rainey Street, some good spots up there. If you're here on Wednesday we play pub trivia on 6th street at 8:00. Pm me if you want to grab a beer.

See what's playing at either Antones or the Continental Club. Take a stroll around Town Lake. Take a dip in Barton Springs, a natural cold spring that stays 68 degrees year round. Incredibly refreshing in the summer heat.

Sullivan's or Eddie V's for steak. Trudy's or Polvos for Tex-Mex. Homeslice or Backspace for pizza.

New bar area in town is Rainey Street, some good spots up there. If you're here on Wednesday we play pub trivia on 6th street at 8:00. Pm me if you want to grab a beer.

glad an Austinite says Trudy's for Tex-Mex has always been my favorite.

I second Rainey Street. Several good bars there (most by the same ownership, interestingly), and a new one just opened up in the last couple weeks. It's mostly a 25-35 crowd around there, but sometimes I'll see groups of 40+ folks hanging out too. Great little outdoor bars that everyone can be comfortable at. Lustre Pearl is a favorite (fantastic tacos in back), and Clive is a little farther down the street but also a great little bar with lots of outdoor seating. Lustre Pearl and Clive are, in theory, "brother" and "sister" bars. You'll definitely get that feel if you go to both.

I like Town Lake as well. You can rent bikes nearby at a number of places, then bike around the lake and stop whenever you see something cool. Add Barton Springs into the loop too and take a dip. Or, if you have time, you can make it 25 miles west of the city and go to a real kickass springs - Hamilton Pool.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-2742124-seattle_symphony_austin-i

I've only lived in Austin about 10 weeks, but that's the stuff I've done and enjoyed. I don't get a chance to eat out much, but I did get Franklin's BBQ while I was here and it was top notch. You have to get there early and wait in line, though.

two chicks at the same time...

...which is possible there after you take them to Trudy's

Trudy's will always hold a special place in my heart. Love the food and the margaritas. Most people say Gueros or Chuy's, but I've been to both and Trudy's still tops them. Glad I'm not alone on this one.

I saw Shakey Graves (from Friday Night Lights) on Wednesday night at 'The Parish'. It was a pretty cool place.

Trudy's will always hold a special place in my heart. Love the food and the margaritas. Most people say Gueros or Chuy's, but I've been to both and Trudy's still tops them. Glad I'm not alone on this one.

Never been to Trudy's, but I know it's a favorite of people in my office.

I do think Chuy's is waayyy overrated.

I went to some place on Oltorf that has a kickass avacado margarita. May have been Guero's? I can't remember though.

Torchy's Tacos is a must. Outside of that everyone else is throwing out good ideas. Hit up Barton Springs, West 6th Street and Rainey Street. Also if you wanna go to a random bar that's really fun, go to Kung Fu. Its a bar with a bunch of old school arcade games, human size jinga, and ski ball. Its fun as hell.

Surf the internet. Fastest broadband in the lower 48. You'll be amazed.

I've got two nights in Austin next week (business trip). What are your must-see's / must-do's / must-eat's?

I prefer rock, blues, and jazz for live music (no dance clubs).

Hey hit me up on Facebook. My wife lived there for 8 years until last fall.

Back