• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HP's UNC-Cheat Thread - UNC comes out on top, NCAA penalized by UNC

Racer, IDK if you've seen it yet but there is a post showing a huge correlation between APR awards for various UNC athletic programs that all stop at 2009/2010 when the heat started up about the football team and they stopped having 75% of the football/basketball teams in the swahilli classes. Basically UNC started getting everyone out of the Afro Studies program and probably has them stashed in another major with a few more "rogue" profs. Strange how they didn't know any of this was going on but had the knowledge to stop funneling players to that major before any of this academic scandal came up. The scandal was still in its Marvin Austin tweeting infancy back then.

Nice, after leading their readers along with football, football, football, allowing UNC fans to get comfortable, they finally dropped the basketball bomb. You know they have more they are sitting on too after reading that they have been trying to reach people for comment for over 2 months. Slow playing their hand.

With bball in the mix, UNC will be in all out attack mode now, like a wild animal backed into a corner. This is going to be GREAT!

Last edited:
Basketball "Blown out of the Water." So effing good.

As someone on Pack Pride posted, "You sunk my Flagship!"

But this class, which did meet, included a substantial portion of the basketball team. Frasor said that Wayne Walden, a former assistant director for academic support who handled the basketball team, had recommended the class.

Walden, who no longer works at UNC, could not be reached. He was brought to UNC from the University of Kansas shortly after men’s basketball coach Roy Williams was hired from there. Williams had described Walden as being an integral part of the basketball program.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/10/02/2386415/naval-weapons-systems-class-at.html#storylink=cpy

That's especially interesting...I bet we hear more about that guy.

Here's a video of Royboy speaking about Wayne: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgWekP3hZYo&feature=relmfu
"I would rather lose EVERY ASSISTANT COACH than lose Wayne Walden . . . For 21 years I've trusted one guy [Wayne Walden] with EVERYTHING ACADEMICALLY for EVERY PLAYER that I've ever coached . . . "

Also of interest...what if the AFAM and Naval classes are linked?

http://www.idb.org/about
The IDB fosters shoulder-to-shoulder partnerships among the Department of Defense, the Department of Homeland Security, other government agencies, and the private sector to achieve excellence and innovation through research and education.

The Institute for Defense and Business (IDB) is a nonprofit research and education institute formed in 1997 by the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and the state of North Carolina. An independent legal entity governed by a self-perpetuating Board of Directors, the IDB maintains a close affiliation with UNC-Chapel Hill and its Kenan-Flagler Business School, as well as the UNC system.

Who's on their Board of Directors?

http://www.idb.org/about/board-of-directors

1) The guy who is supposed to be "independently" investigating all of this is Chairman...
Dr. James G. Martin
(Chairman and Director)
- Former Governor of North Carolina and Former Member of the U.S.Congress

2) The most recent guy to lose his job...
Dr. Holden Thorp
(Director)
- Chancellor, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina

3) And, now the kicker...the guy who co-founded "Carolina for Kibera"...more about this below.
Mr. Rye Barcott
(Director)
- Co-Founder of Carolina for Kibera, Chapel Hill, North Carolina; TED Fellow; and Associate at Duke Energy, Charlotte, North Carolina

First, a little quote from My Rye Barcott...he's the one who tied the entire starting lineup of the NC bball team to Swahilli in the press:
http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/Charlotte-Marine-finds-peace-through-charity-in-Kenya-120271264.html
Barcott was nearing graduation at UNC Chapel Hill and committed to joining the Marines. But as he'd soon discover, something would happen on the way to war.

"I was fortunate enough to take Swahili classes with the starting lineup of the men's basketball team at UNC. That was quite an experience," he said.

And he was helped to get his little non-profit started by non other than professor Julius Nyang'oro himself, who became a member of his Board of Trustees. Remember who that non-profit's largest contributor was starting in 2006 after Butch was hired? NIKE. Wonder if any of that money ended up in Julius' and/or the players pockets? Surely that's too absurd...right? I'm being paranoid, right? This is all just a coincidence... The military connection to Swahili...the cheating in both programs...Nike $$...

Last edited:
Nothing to see hear Racer. . .this will all be over by Friday.

Military guy in the Kenan school teaching the one Naval class with so many bball players enrolled for one semester using a different syllabus than normal.
http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/10...ems-class-at.html#storylink=cpy#storylink=cpy
The professor for the class, Lt. Brian Lubitz, taught it only once, UNC records show. A former captain for the Naval Academy soccer team, he also was earning his MBA from UNC’s Kenan-Flagler Business School at the time. He now works in Philadelphia for the investment firm Goldman Sachs.

Wonder if he was also involved here?
http://www.idb.org/about
The Institute for Defense and Business (IDB) is a nonprofit research and education institute formed in 1997 by the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and the state of North Carolina. An independent legal entity governed by a self-perpetuating Board of Directors, the IDB maintains a close affiliation with UNC-Chapel Hill and its Kenan-Flagler Business School, as well as the UNC system.

Thorp said in an interview that the class looks like an example of clusteringfuck, in which students group around a particular class or major

Fixed it for Thorp.

Last edited:
There's got to be an explanation for all of this. I think I've got it! Pushing bball players towards Naval classes was in preparation for last year's Carrier Classic!

Last edited:
The question we all really want to know is if and when this is going to bring down the women's soccer team.

All this reminds me of a classic line from Watergate, "What did the NCAA and the UNC administration know, and when did they stop knowing it?"

LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

NC_NO.jpg

Sounds like they need a huge culture change. I have a good candidate I can recommend who can be there in about an hour and fifteen minutes.

So, is it just me, or does it not seem odd as hell that Roy would bring an ACADEMIC ADVISER with him from Kansas to UNC?

Looks like this guy had it figured out back in July:
http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php...in-african-and-afro-american-studies-in-2009/
That includes Sean May of the Sacramento Kings, the Bloomington prep star and son of former IU star Scott May. Sean May entered the NBA after three years in college, capped by an NCAA title in 2005. He graduated last summer.
May said he started as a double major with communications, but dropped it so he could graduate faster after leaving for the NBA. Afro-American and African studies, May said, offered “more independent electives, independent study. I could take a lot of classes during the season. Communications, I had to be there in the actual classroom. We just made sure all the classes I had to take, I could take during the summer.”

Interesting quote from May, especially since he didn’t graduate until 2009, years after leaving Chapel Hill. For the conspiracy theorists: it appears May changed his major after coach Matt Doherty was fired and Roy Williams arrived.

Walden was with Roy Williams at Kansas. He was the basketball team’s academic adviser for 15 years. Then, when Williams left for UNC in 2003, Walden went with him and filled the same role – academic support for men’s basketball, overseeing scheduling, registration, structured study halls, tutorial services, etc.

So in 2009, a year before the scandal went public, the academic adviser to the basketball team – a team which had a history of players who majored in African and Afro-American Studies – left UNC, as did a longtime administrator in that department. Since the departures of Walden and Crowder, records obtained by the News & Observer (click here for the UNC academic info PDF) show a dramatic drop in athletes majoring in African and Afro-American Studies. We specifically looked at the basketball team’s numbers in that major from when Roy Williams took over in 2003-2004, and here are the numbers we found (African & Afro-American majors/players who had chosen a major)

"So, is it just me, or does it not seem odd as hell that Roy would bring an ACADEMIC ADVISER with him from Kansas to UNC?"

No. You are definitely on to something, Racer. And others are obviously noting it as well. Apparently, Tom Penders tweeted some comments today suggesting that it was very, very curious for a Coach to bring an Academic Advisor with him when accepting a new gig.

I'd love to see what that dude got paid. He stayed in the same job as the academic adviser to a college basketball team for the better part of a career (21 years). Why would someone stay in that job for so long? It's a job that can be done by a recent college grad for $40K a year.

I have to wonder what's next. It all looks suspicious, but nothing about that class seems to be any kind of violation. So, that leads me to believe that story is only the cover sheet for what's coming next...

Back