• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HP's UNC-Cheat Thread - UNC comes out on top, NCAA penalized by UNC

You don't find it odd that the professor of the course met with an Academic Advisor prior to teaching the course, that athletes were clearly steered to the course by the Academic Support STaff, that the course turned out to be an easy A in a course previously not subject to clustering and where the "easy A" aspect of the course didn't exist prior to and apparently vanished thereafter.

None of that sounds like academic shenanigans to you?

A little historical side note from a News & Record blog inspired by these recent revelations.

http://www.news-record.com/blog/56101/entry/154096
When I attended UNC in the early 1980s, one of the classes I took, Geology 10, was well-known as a GPA booster. Every college has courses that are easier than others, and Geology 10 was one of the "slides" at UNC. Everyone in Chapel Hill knew Geology 10, indeed, as "Rocks for Jocks."

When I took the class, the enrollment included a number of football players, most of whom sat near the back of the room. The enrollment also included several friends from my residence hall (yes, we "clustered," too).

Tests -- at least until the final exam, as I recall -- were multiple-choice.

And the answer patterns? Always A-B-C-D.

Recently, I found a 2009 Daily Tar Heel story, an obituary for my class' professor, Dr. Roy Ingram. Ingram, who served his country during World War II, appeared to love the subject matter, his alma mater and its basketball team.

Ingram's death preceded news breaking about UNC's academic scandal. But knowing what we know now, I had to raise my eyebrows about these two paragraphs, including a quote by his colleague John Dennison regarding Michael Jordan:

Roy Ingram, an avid Carolina basketball fan, played an important role in basketball players' educations, Dennison said.

"Michael went to summer school for geology and Roy Ingram was his professor. He gave Michael Jordan his grade in geology."

Last edited:
So, yesterday I looked at the link to the old SI article where Hansbrough was talking about his Swahili class. He also happened to mention a class he was taking on naval weapons systems. I then forgot about it.

Walking into the office this morning, a UNC fan/lawyer tells me "they've got hoops. Some naval warfare class."

I barely stifled a grin.

Last edited:
PrimalScream, a PackPride poster who has been out ahead of some of these revelations posted this teaser earlier this morning:

or between Walden (academic advisor) and Lubitz's ("professor" of Naval course) wife, who from what I was told may have been a tutor for the Athletics at the time.

Hilarious if true.

Eh, not really seeing the big deal of this naval weapons class. Moreover, why wouldn't a coach bring an academic adviser along with the rest of his coaching/administrative staff if he thought they were doing a good job? Seems like it's being shoehorned in to "fit the narrative."

(Yikes, Racer is about to accuse me of sanctioning academic fraud...)

Eh, not really seeing the big deal of this naval weapons class. Moreover, why wouldn't a coach bring an academic adviser along with the rest of his coaching/administrative staff if he thought they were doing a good job? Seems like it's being shoehorned in to "fit the narrative."

By itself, I would agree. But as part of a larger picture that's coming in to focus, it is just further evidence of a more systemic problem.

Because an "academic advisor" advances the basketball program how?

PrimalScream, a PackPride poster who has been out ahead of some of these revelations posted this teaser earlier this morning:

Hilarious if true.

Primal "theorizes":

Another Hypothetical situation. Wayne Walden knows the academic situation of his players and what they need to stay eligible. In talking to one of the tutors in the athletic support center he finds out that her husband just happens to be a commisioned Naval Officer who is working on his MBA at the kenan flagler school and knows people in high places. So in looking through the course catalogue it appears that a class offered in the spring maybe able to be used to keep his BB players afloat and a plan comes together to teach this class. Now to make it legal of course they use the regular student enrolled loophole and viola instant A's and B's for GPA inflation. Now all they have to do is take the infamous AFAM classes in the summer and they are good to go for the fall semester porbably not having to take any classes at all or maybe just one class.

Because an "academic advisor" advances the basketball program how?

I don't want to get into an argument over this, but wouldn't the obvious answer be that he was academically advising them (ostensibly keeping them eligible and on track, legally)?

An academic adviser should be Independent of the basketball team. If his loyalty is to the coach and not to the education of the player his goal will be to keep the player eligible not to further his education.

An academic adviser should be Independent of the basketball team. If his loyalty is to the coach and not to the education of the player his goal will be to keep the player eligible not to further his education.

bingo. +1

I don't want to get into an argument over this, but wouldn't the obvious answer be that he was academically advising them (ostensibly keeping them eligible and on track, legally)?

Wouldn't that be presumed at every University? Why would you need to bring your own guy with you? Maybe because your guy has an incredible track record for keeping your players eligible (wink) (wink).

Yeah, you'd think a new coach would need to hire an academic advisor who was familiar with UNC's academic offerings, not those of Kansas.

Eh, not really seeing the big deal of this naval weapons class.

You really don't see a problem with a single semester professor (has never taught this class before or after this) working directly with an athletic academic adviser to fill a class with 30 athletes, and then rewriting the class syllabus to make the class simple to pass, resulting in a much higher average GPA than the class has had before or since? Really?

That doesn't even touch on the idea of bringing a "career" academic adviser with you from one school to the next. Who stays as an academic adviser to college athletes for 21+ years? That's not a career. That's a stepping stone job.

Moreover, why wouldn't a coach bring an academic adviser along with the rest of his coaching/administrative staff if he thought they were doing a good job? Seems like it's being shoehorned in to "fit the narrative."

Tom Penders, former coach of Texas, has been tweeting this morning that it's strange and absurd for a coach to bring his "academic adviser" with him to a new job.

Last edited:
I see Wes Miller's name is being tossed around over on Packpride as involved or knowing what was up.

I think he's only guilty of hanging with Hansblo and the rest of the cheater clowns, but IIRC, he's a pretty smart guy.

I hate that he's even being mentioned with all of this, but when you lay down with dogs, you get fleas.

I see Wes Miller's name is being tossed around over on Packpride as involved or knowing what was up.

I think he's only guilty of hanging with Hansblo and the rest of the cheater clowns, but IIRC, he's a pretty smart guy.

I hate that he's even being mentioned with all of this, but when you lay down with dogs, you get fleas.

I think the gist of the Miller involvement from PP (at least the part I read early on) was that now that he's a coach he wouldn't risk any issues with the NCAA to save UNC given how successful he's been early on. Thus the NCAA should get him to spill the beans. Most of the chatter early on at least went more towards Miller was the only one smart enough to actually get good grades on those teams since I believe he was a Morehead Scholar and obviously a really bright guy.

I would love to see Miller spill the beans. If the NCAA is serious, he's the only person they can really turn the screws on since he's coaching. Everyone else is fired, "retired" or has "graduated".

Back