• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HP's UNC-Cheat Thread - UNC comes out on top, NCAA penalized by UNC

I would love to see Miller spill the beans. If the NCAA is serious, he's the only person they can really turn the screws on since he's coaching. Everyone else is fired, "retired" or has "graduated".

Wouldn't Bobby Frasor be in a similar situation as Director of Basketball Ops at UAB? And he DID speak to Dan Kane, and pretty frankly. I wonder if there's more he told Kane that is being saved for a future article...

I would love to see Miller spill the beans. If the NCAA is serious, he's the only person they can really turn the screws on since he's coaching. Everyone else is fired, "retired" or has "graduated".

True. Didn't think about it that way.

IF the NCAA investigates...do you think they will? I am not convinced anything will happen.

Wouldn't Bobby Frasor be in a similar situation as Director of Basketball Ops at UAB? And he DID speak to Dan Kane, and pretty frankly. I wonder if there's more he told Kane that is being saved for a future article...

Good point. He was the ONLY person Kane spoke to that actually spoke back to him. He seems ready to talk.

True. Didn't think about it that way.

IF the NCAA investigates...do you think they will? I am not convinced anything will happen.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that this is going to happen the more that I read. The NCAA is very good at handing out basic fines under-the-radar and choosing not to acknowledge high profile cases in the mainstream media. That hasn't happened here. They're really feeling the heat with this one and have spoken on this case a few times throughout its development. I think the question here concerns when the hammer drops. Not, if it does.

Precedent exists for Wes Miller to be more concerned about telling the truth than anyone. Remember that former Baylor assistant who blew the whistle on Dave Bliss? He's a part time D3 assistant coach or something now. He's been blacklisted to the point where he can't make a living from coaching.

Precedent exists for Wes Miller to be more concerned about telling the truth than anyone. Remember that former Baylor assistant who blew the whistle on Dave Bliss? He's a part time D3 assistant coach or something now. He's been blacklisted to the point where he can't make a living from coaching.

At the same time, I assume the NCAA can put a show-cause order on you and prevent you from coaching at all. I don't know if they can do that to a coach for things that happened as a player or not. Regardless, they could definitely keep a close eye on everything he does as a coach.

At the same time, I assume the NCAA can put a show-cause order on you and prevent you from coaching at all. I don't know if they can do that to a coach for things that happened as a player or not.

But the premise is Wes Miller did nothing wrong except be a Tarheel. Sadly, the NCAA can't punish someone for that. I assume he can just not answer questions, which would be the smartest thing to do if he wants to remain in coaching. Telling the truth is a losing proposition for a non-implicated coach. Just ask Coach K.

For those not familiar with that reference: "Many coaches, including Hall of Famers Jim Boeheim and Mike Krzyzewski, have said that Rouse had crossed the line. “If one of my assistants would tape every one of my conversations with me not knowing it, there’s no way he would be on my staff,” "

Last edited:
Anyone UNC blacklists should be on our short list.

In this case, it would actually fit our "culture change," as opposed to the genius we have now.

Last edited:
Well, that's the other thing. UNC is almost certainly Miller's dream job. Would he do something to jeopardize that?

Depends on how short the short list is. I'd put him on the medium list.

Depends on how short the short list is. I'd put him on the medium list.

By the time that [Redacted] gets done with our program, we'll see who we can get. Considering how little interest there was from our top elite targets after Dino, I can only imagine that the bar will go down a few notches.

He should probably be on our post-Bzz shortlist anyway...

Agreed, along with Kelsey. Short dark-haired guys. We could throw in Archie Miller (I'm joking) and a few others just for fun.

By the time that [Redacted] gets done with our program, we'll see who we can get. Considering how little interest there was from our top elite targets after Dino, I can only imagine that the bar will go down a few notches.

That could have had a little something to do with how poorly the Dino situation was handled in light of his relationship to Skip. Money could have also been an issue (shouldn't be as much of one with the new TV deal). Our top targets also had their eyes on a particular job that now appears to be locked down for the foreseeable future (Indiana).

I don't think Wellman's original shortlist was very good/realistic in the first place (since the names we have consistently heard were Stevens, Alford, and Tubby).

I said the list wasn't good, not that the coaches on it weren't good.

Back