• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HP's UNC-Cheat Thread - UNC comes out on top, NCAA penalized by UNC

The bombshell continues to remain who other than the athletic department were putting their idiot kids through fake classes at UNC. Some pretty powerful North Carolina people I would imagine to get invited into discreet academic fraud.

I see the teacher in this case left UNC to teach at a Community College in Virginia. I guess she was looking for an Institution with even a modicum of academic rigor and integrity. Something is better than nothing, I guess. . .

More plagiarism at UNC-Cheat

Highsmith got info from an 11-yr old's work.

My favorite part of this article?

"She did not realize that the blog for the class had been exposed on UNC-CH’s website, where a fan of rival N.C. State University found it, and contacted the N&O. The day after the N&O interviewed her, password protection was added to the site."

PACK PRIDE STRIKES AGAIN!

Can we change the thread title to "Potential Cock Tease?"

I'm always expecting something great, but I'm afraid of no payout.

I'm just sad that UNC spent all that money on the Martin team. They could have saved a lot of money and just let PackPride do it. They'd have taken a week and UNC would be in ashes, but it would have gotten done, at least.

The bombshell was that Highsmith was caught plagiarizing an assignment and received a 0? That's it? When do we get to the parking ticket part of the investigation?

I think the story is that yet again, a supposed "legitimate" investigation missed easily obtainable information that was found by fans through basic searches on the internet. What in the world is actually going on during these searches? Paper Air Plane building challenges?

I think the story is that yet again, a supposed "legitimate" investigation missed easily obtainable information that was found by fans through basic searches on the internet. What in the world is actually going on during these searches? Paper Air Plane building challenges?

Yes this.

Sounds about right.

But Highsmith was already caught and punished. The investigations should be looking for new, previously unknown and unpunished cases of cheating. This is a non-story, especially since it doesn't necessarily point to a bigger apparatus of cheating. Dan Kane might was well just start writing a story per day on each time a UNC player has been arrested or given citations since 1995.

It would be hilarious to know how many hours have been collectively spent by PP looking for dirt though. Hopefully some of the smart ones are figuring ways to get class credit for time spent.

Getting a zero does not equal punishment. Everyone here that went to college knows how serious allegations of plagiarism and the consequences are.

Getting a zero does not equal punishment. Everyone here that went to college knows how serious allegations of plagiarism and the consequences are.

"everyone here that went to college?"

I went to college. At Wake. lol

My point is, the NCAA should be focusing on bigger things going on at UNC (that we already know is happening). I don't think they are interested in getting into evaluating if punishments already handed down for plagiarism are justified or not. This is small potatoes.

Last edited:

Agreed. A 0 isn't punishment for cheating. In the end, it doesn't matter what the grades are when it's clear from the records previously found that Peppers was playing football and basketball despite having a GPA below the minimum allowed for eligibility.

"everyone here that went to college?"

I went to college. At Wake. lol

My point is, the NCAA should be focusing on bigger things going on at UNC (that we already know is happening). I don't think they are interested in getting into evaluating if punishments already handed down for plagiarism are justified or not. This is small potatoes.

1) I didn't say you didn't go to college. I'm saying anyone who went knows how serious plagiarism is in academics.
2) There was no punishment to evaluate. He wasn't punished by anyone. A zero for the assignment is not a punishment...it's letting him off the hook.

There was no punishment to evaluate. He wasn't punished by anyone. A zero for the assignment is not a punishment...it's letting him off the hook.

i agree with this.

i think if you got caught, and didn't play sports :), you were expelled or suspended for a semester. i sort of remember a guy at Wake that this happened to and they kicked him out of school for a semester. his dad was a deep pocket, that may be why he got back in...but i could be off about that.

How about the fact that a University that screams "FERPA!" any chance it gets -- even when it clearly does not apply -- has now posted two things on the internet readily accessible by fans of a rival school. We get it UNC. . .you obviously care about the privacy of your students.

Back