• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HP's UNC-Cheat Thread - UNC comes out on top, NCAA penalized by UNC

I still say worse because there's more evidence it was accepted by the institution.

Ummm...
miami-pres-shalala-getting-a-check-from-shapiro.jpg

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/09/01/2571318/unc-professor-resigns.html

Not only did he hire a sports agent to teach a class...

Nyang'oro's handling of two football players who took his classes also drew attention. He missed a blatant case of plagiarism in a paper submitted by one football player, Michael McAdoo. His department allowed a highly prized recruit, Marvin Austin, as an incoming freshman, to take a 400 level class taught by Nyang'oro before Austin had taken introductory classes that included a remedial writing class. Austin received a B plus in the class.

UNC AFAM Dept Chair Resigns

I wasn't aware that professors at public universities made that much.

The more information that comes out about UNC the more they look like amateur hour.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/09/01/2571318/unc-professor-resigns.html

Not only did he hire a sports agent to teach a class...

Nyang'oro's handling of two football players who took his classes also drew attention. He missed a blatant case of plagiarism in a paper submitted by one football player, Michael McAdoo. His department allowed a highly prized recruit, Marvin Austin, as an incoming freshman, to take a 400 level class taught by Nyang'oro before Austin had taken introductory classes that included a remedial writing class. Austin received a B plus in the class.

And other UNC professors are condoning plagiarism:

James Peacock, a UNC-CH anthropology professor and former faculty chairman, called Nyang'oro "one of the finest human beings and teachers and administrators whom I have ever known. Period. I don't really know anything about the situation with the plagiarism and all the rest, but whatever he have done in that area, and I don't know anything about it, should be balanced (with) his superb contributions in so many other ways."

So much for that holier-than-thou academic snobbishness, Tarholes. The Carolina Way is being exposed for the sham it is.

The more information that comes out about UNC the more they look like amateur hour.

Actually, one might question how many actual amateurs remain on the football team...our basketball, for that matter, as there is a long list of basketball stars who have partaken of the Swahili grade boost.

I wasn't aware that professors at public universities made that much.

Department chair.

Typical professors make less than half of that, but only put in 8 months of work. Good gig if you can land it.

8 months of work? Where do you get your info?

It is really a joke. At Wake my grades got deflated and the classes were already difficult. At UNC, you don't have to do anything to get a 3.5 but show up and half pay attention. That should separate the two schools in the academic community, unfortunately it does not.

UNC Fundraising Scandal?

Didn't see another thread about it and thought it was interesting:

"Matt Kupec, a star quarterback for UNC-Chapel Hill who later returned to become its chief fundraiser, resigned Sunday after an internal investigation showed he and university fundraiser Tami Hansbrough appear to have taken personal trips at the university’s expense, Chancellor Holden Thorp said Monday."

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/09/11/2332702/top-unc-fundraiser-resigns-amid.html#storylink=cpy

Damn it, didn't scroll far enough down. Sorry for the HAAS. Mods can remove.

Effective at the end of the 2012-2013 school year. I guess they'll try to get any other prongs of the scandals outed before next May so the next guy can start with a clean slate.

I'm not 100% on the timing of everything, but didn't most of the scandal stuff happen under Moeser, and Thorp came in and did a decent job of reporting stuff and fixing it?

Maybe, until he found a way to hire Tami Hansbrough. At some point there are just too many bad things that have happened with your name attached to them. Also, there are still a bunch of people who think the Butch firing was the wrong move, though I question how much clout they have.

Back