• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HP's UNC-Cheat Thread - UNC comes out on top, NCAA penalized by UNC

Here is the latest article on the UNCheat scandal. It shows a concerted effort by many people to keep the athletes eligible and that they couldn't handle college classes.

I find it VERY hard to believe that this is limited to the football team as this article makes it seem. UNC-ch is built on basketball and basketball is built on allowing the best players in the world to play for UNC-ch. When you have a coach as bad as Roy Williams it is incumbent that he gets the best talent to roll the ball out to. If they went to these measures to protect the football team I can't imagine what they did for their bread and butter.

Round and Round we go, where it stops? Nobody knows.

“People were just rude,” Read wrote about a SWAH 112 study session. That class was held in the first summer session of 2010, and was not a no-show class. “...people farting, watching videos on their computers, talking back, complaining, rapping, not paying attention.”

lolz

God this is great. The gift that keeps on giving. Between the rampant grade inflation and this scandal does any "higher learning" actually go on over there?

Edit: Just noticed it was Kane, should have known though. He's having an absolute field day with this. Glad he has enough balls to actually touch the subject unlike 95% of journalist in NC.

Last edited:
Other news outlets locally are having nothing to do with it. The N&O is really stepping outside the box on this.

God this is great. The gift that keeps on giving. Between the rampant grade inflation and this scandal does any "higher learning" actually go on over there?

Edit: Just noticed it was Kane, should have known though. He's having an absolute field day with this. Glad he has enough balls to actually touch the subject unlike 95% of journalist in NC.

Dan Kane & Andrew Curliss (who wrote much of the stuff on the Easley scandal) coauthored the latest article, and had 2 other researchers working with them. This just keeps getting bigger & better.

To quote the most popular employer of UNC graduates:

logo.jpg

Let's call it "higher yearning" -- borrowing a term from the unforgettable Dr. David Smiley.

I need to add to the temporary highjack of this thread to further praise Dr. Smiley.

Man, I loved Dr. Smiley. I didn't appreciate how great he was when I was a stupid 19 year old sophomore taking classes from him. At first, I thought it was peculiar that he would stand outside the classroom after each class and shake hands with EVERY student as they left the classroom. After awhile, I thought it was pretty cool. In retrospect, that was the kind of gesture that made Wake Forest so special.

I can remember dozens of times walking around on the quad, hearing the bushes rustle, and thinking that it was a squirrel rummaging around for an acorn or something. Soon, Dr. Smiley, all 5'2" of him, would emerge from the bushes, wearing his signature cape and beret, with a handful of trash in his hand that he had gone underbrush to pick up. Again, as a 19-20 year old student, I thought this behavior from an elderly history professor was silly and amusing. As a 42-year old proud alumni of MSD, I realize that it was just an example of how much he loved our school.

The rumor was that he was a landing craft coxswain on D-Day. Does anyone know if that is true?

What a great man and pillar of our alma mater. RIP, Dr. Smiley. You were something special.

Ok, back to schadenfreude for UNC-CHeat.

In the long run, it’s far better for the university to be open with records (not to the point of breaking laws that legitimately protect students’ privacy) and to acknowledge problems. And within this painful process, there must be a dialogue as to whether the embarrassment that has been brought about by the single-minded desire of boosters and some alumni to play “big time” sports has been worth it.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/10/01/2383965/hard-evidence.html#storylink=cpy

i.e. We've got more and we can do this the easy way or the hard way, your choice.

Again, there is NO WAY that this is as limited to the football team as they make it appear. Something like 7 guys (1/3 of the team) of the 05 championship team majored in AA studies. It just does not make any sense to me that they would preform this gigantic academic fraud on the 2nd biggest sport on campus but not the biggest. Just because there are way more football players involved I would bet the % of players is just as high on the basketball team.

Last edited:
No question the basketball team is involved. It has probably been mentioned here before, but I distinctly remember in Hansbrough's last season when TV announcers would fall all over themselves talking about how Hansbrough was taking Swahili like he was some kind of Renaissance Man or something.

Last edited:
Again, there is NO WAY that this is as limited to the football team as they make it appear. Something like 7 guys (1/3 of the team) of the 05 championship team majored in AA studies. It just does not make any sense to me that they would preform this gigantic academic fraud on the 2nd biggest sport on campus but not the biggest. Just because there are way more football players involved I would bet the % of players is just as high on the basketball team.

Peppers alone means the bball team is involved. But yes, it's been documented that quite a few bball players were involved in the same classes and used the same tutors. Hell, Hansblow has been quoted in articles talking about his African studies classes. And there was an article somewhere about a military vet going back to school where he's quoted as saying something like 4 of the starting 5 of the 2009 NC team were in a African studies class with him.

Normally I'm not big on conspiracy theories and such, but let's say this was Southern Miss or Iowa State, etc., is there any doubt the NCAA will have already laid the hammer down or given indication it was coming?

Back