• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HP's UNC-Cheat Thread - UNC comes out on top, NCAA penalized by UNC

On PTI today they were talking about Louisville and the year ban and Tony said it would be interesting for the Final Four to have Louisville and it's HOF coach, SMU and it's HOF coach, Syracuse and it's HOF coach and.... Wibon asked which team would be the fourth, they thought for a second and then Tony said "this is a cheap shot, but Kentucky since they're always on the edge of violations". UNC didn't even get a mention - the worst of all.

that is kind of cray but all sprots talk are idiots tho

On PTI today they were talking about Louisville and the year ban and Tony said it would be interesting for the Final Four to have Louisville and it's HOF coach, SMU and it's HOF coach, Syracuse and it's HOF coach and.... Wibon asked which team would be the fourth, they thought for a second and then Tony said "this is a cheap shot, but Kentucky since they're always on the edge of violations". UNC didn't even get a mention - the worst of all.

Why would it surprise you that ESPN on-air talent wouldn't mention UNC? #johnskipper

Why would it surprise you that ESPN on-air talent wouldn't mention UNC? #johnskipper

Game Day had a 10 minute discussion yesterday on Louisville and the NCAA investigation process generally including length of time to play out. Crew was at South Bend for the ND/UNC game. Not one mention of the still pending UNC investigation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/13/s...-as-it-struggles-with-a-scandals-fallout.html

But there is another, smaller group of faculty members, along with a large number of older alumni, people who were around during the Dean Smith era, who harbor a tremendous feeling of betrayal, a deep hurt that Smith’s Carolina Way devolved into a fraud. Let’s be honest: There are many big-time sports colleges where athletes are given a pass academically — and nobody cares. But Tar Heels fans always believed that North Carolina was better than that. Discovering that it wasn’t has hit them hard.

But there is another, smaller group of faculty members, along with a large number of older alumni, people who were around during the Dean Smith era, who harbor a tremendous feeling of betrayal, a deep hurt that Smith’s Carolina Way devolved into a fraud. Let’s be honest: There are many big-time sports colleges where athletes are given a pass academically — and nobody cares. But Tar Heels fans always believed that North Carolina was better than that. Discovering that it wasn’t has hit them hard.

I've not heard one UNC alum say they have been hurt/disappointed about the academic fraud in terms of the University's overall reputation (other than with recruits). Instead, they go with the "everybody does it" routine.

I've not heard one UNC alum say they have been hurt/disappointed about the academic fraud in terms of the University's overall reputation (other than with recruits). Instead, they go with the "everybody does it" routine.

i was gonna post this verbaitum

The truth is that there are many, many of these people. The reason you don't know them or hear from them is because they aren't sports fans and they are deeply ashamed. I can think of a dozen off the top of my head, and none of them could give two shits about sports. That's the difference, I think.

Or, the other very legitimate possibility is that the non-sports crowd doesn't actually know anything about it because the only people who seem to care are sports fans.

There’s light at the end of the tunnel, and according to compliance expert David Ridpath, it’s in the best interest of all parties get there as quickly as possible when UNC responds to the NCAA’s amended notice of allegations on Monday.

“I tend to think that North Carolina is going to acquiesce more in this response because they got a very, very good situation that happened with this revised notice of allegations,” he said. “If I was advising them, I would probably tell them, ‘You’ve got a pretty good situation. This is the worst academic fraud case that’s ever been documented in intercollegiate athletics and you’re likely not going to get cited with academic fraud, you’re likely not going to get cited with extra benefits for athletes, and football and (men’s) basketball are going to come out this relatively unscathed other than the institutional sanctions you’ve given yourself.’”

“In this case, clearly, this is a lack of institutional control. ... They’ll likely get that because of what they did was kind of pervasive, endemic, caused a competitive advantage and all these other things,” Ridpath said. “Obviously, North Carolina would be in a pretty bad position right now to say they didn’t have a lack of institutional control.”

That allegation is the most serious a program can face and often comes with serious penalties.

Jerry Gurney, a University of Oklahoma professor who holds a doctorate in higher education administration, expects UNC to face harsh penalties.

He predicts probation, a large fine and a vacation of victories across a number of sports, perhaps including men’s basketball, with show-cause orders also possible.

“I think this scandal goes far beyond the usual suspects in that it has lasted, the academic fraud ... such a long period of time and affected so many athletes,” Gurney said. “I don’t see how in the world the NCAA can get by with a light sanction on North Carolina.”

Back