• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HP's UNC-Cheat Thread - UNC comes out on top, NCAA penalized by UNC

You will be disappointed. His players migrated away from those classes. Plenty of bad things to say about UNC's AFAM department, but Roy will have no problem demonstrating that he steered his players elsewhere (all of which happened before any investigative steps).

Roy's dog and pony show to discredit McCant's claim he made the Dean's list without attending class or completing any course work suggest otherwise.

Roy's dog and pony show to discredit McCant's claim he made the Dean's list without attending class or completing any course work suggest otherwise.

Yeah, but you know that Rashad McCants doesn't even agree with Rashad McCants, right? He's certifiable. Hell, he may be right, but nobody will give serious to credence to what he says now, given that this is what Rashad McCants said then:

"To get up, go to school, get in here, lift weights and play basketball. That's my 9 to 5," McCants said. "As my uncle said, I'm in jail right now. You're not allowed to do certain things. You're not allowed to say certain things, but once you get out of jail, you're free. (I'm) in my sentence and I'm doing my time."

Yeah, but you know that Rashad McCants doesn't even agree with Rashad McCants, right? He's certifiable. Hell, he may be right, but nobody will give serious to credence to what he says now, given that this is what Rashad McCants said then:

"To get up, go to school, get in here, lift weights and play basketball. That's my 9 to 5," McCants said. "As my uncle said, I'm in jail right now. You're not allowed to do certain things. You're not allowed to say certain things, but once you get out of jail, you're free. (I'm) in my sentence and I'm doing my time."

As your post shows, it's easy and automatic to discredit McCants. Nevertheless, subsequent investigation has shown his claims have a high probability of truth and that the players supporting Roy benefitted in the same manner.

You will be disappointed. His players migrated away from those classes. Plenty of bad things to say about UNC's AFAM department, but Roy will have no problem demonstrating that he steered his players elsewhere (all of which happened before any investigative steps).

Why would Roy have felt the need to steer his players elsewhere?

Because the AFAM Department was shady. The abhorrent facts speak for themselves.

So, if he knew that wouldn't he be obligated to report it to the NCAA or at least his AD or UNC Compliance department?

Lack of institutional control directly involving Williams, no?

Last edited:

I don't think that is correct.

So, if he knew that wouldn't he be obligated to report it to the NCAA or at least his AD or UNC Compliance department?

Exactly. The department was so "shady" he allegedly told his players not to take classes in that department, but didn't say anything else? Just kept telling players not to take those classes, for years, with no follow up? Sounds really unlikely, and almost unbelievable!

How many basketball players took those classes?

And, Roy could not prevent it? Really?

Roy brought his own academic advisor from Kansas. Through that advisor he exercised much more control than he would have anyone think. But, he used a surrogate so as to keep his own hands clean. I think if all the facts are made public Roy will not look so innocent as you believe.

You guys aren't following the story. Greg Sankey has taken the case over. UNC is going to get hammered. The real question is who will win the lawsuit. There is absolutely no doubt that the SEC NCAA has decided to punish UNC, and changed the charges a third time to conform to the punishment they seek.

I hope you are right.

If this is truly the defense UNC should get hammered.

"Yes judge, I know we stole 1 million dollars 15 years ago, but as you can clearly see, as time went on we stole less and less each year. For example 7 years ago we only stole $250,000! And once it became clear we were going to be caught we stopped stealing altogether. I rest my case."

I hope you are right.

I say again, the real question is who will win the lawsuit. How sad will you guys be if UNC gets all of its titles back and an eight digit judgment against the NCAA? For your own mental health, I would create emotional space for that possibility.

Assuming the NCAA hammers UNC, if UNC sues the NCAA, what's to keep them from kicking UNC out of the NCAA altogether? Even if UNC wins the lawsuit, which they won't, they're AD would be reduced to rubble in the interim. It would take the a decade or more to come back from that.

Assuming the NCAA hammers UNC, if UNC sues the NCAA, what's to keep them from kicking UNC out of the NCAA altogether? Even if UNC wins the lawsuit, which they won't, they're AD would be reduced to rubble in the interim. It would take the a decade or more to come back from that.

They've been under a seven year continuous investigation. How'd they do this year?

If their AD was reduced to rubble, then they would have to rely on their academic reputation to survive.

I would love to see UNC sue the NCAA to be honest. Would be a double loss which would be even more beautiful. The key is that NCAA doesn't chicken out and gives them a fair, maximum penalty.

I would love to see UNC sue the NCAA to be honest. Would be a double loss which would be even more beautiful. The key is that NCAA doesn't chicken out and gives them a fair, maximum penalty.

I hesitate to ask this, but can we have a real discussion about this?

Go to school doesn't mean go to class.

Back