• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-2019 NHL Thread – Thunderstorm Warning

Still more questions than answers in P.K. Subban trade

The analytics don’t support the idea that Weber, who turns 31 on Aug. 14, can have the same influence on the game as 27-year-old Subban can.

A source told Sportsnet that Matt Pfeffer, who was hired as an analytics consultant at the beginning of the 2015-16 season, made an impassioned and elaborate presentation to management to dissuade them from following through on this trade.

Ignoring Pfeffer’s advice only served to reinforce the notion that Bergevin was following different criteria in his evaluation of both players, said the source, who also suggested Pfeffer’s vehemence on the matter might have ultimately cost him the job (he was told on Wednesday that his contract won’t be renewed). The Canadiens would not comment on why they aren’t renewing his contract, but they did say that they are looking into other analytics solutions.

The analytics guy argued so hard against trading PK that the Habs fired him.

Jamie Benn signs 8 year extension. Now need to lock up Seguin
de4ea87c1e1c22b689ccf797aaeb2ef4.jpg

Benn will be the last visorless player in the NHL (a la MacTavish). Ryan Getzlaf without the HOF dmen.

I know who's getting my vote in November:

tim-kaine-caps-game-hockey-607x343.jpg

MC Hammer write-in, obviously

I missed this between the SCF and Las Vegas expansion, but Florida retooled their logo and sweaters.

rsruy5hmvvwp1wpfexzf.jpg

Meh. Looks like an MLS logo, but I do like the incorporation of the Florida flag on the shoulder (and inconspicuously with the neck lace).

Also, I'm a little more disappointed simply because this is a [solid] point of reference:

Panthers-jerseys.jpg

Ranking every NHL team by prospect pipeline

Carolina ranked 5th

5. Carolina Hurricanes
Previous rank: 11

The Hurricanes graduated several quality defensemen like Jaccob Slavin, Brett Pesce and most notably Noah Hanifin, and still have a lot of good defenders left, particularly after drafting Jake Bean this summer. In general, their farm system is very strong, due to a mix of trades, high picks and solid late-round selections that have panned out.

Is insider worth the price of admission? I've considered it a couple times simply for fantasy football stuff.

Is insider worth the price of admission? I've considered it a couple times simply for fantasy football stuff.

I mainly have it for Keith Law and prospect stuff, but I end up using it for NHL prospect stuff and other articles. I would say just borderline worth it for my purposes, it would probably be one of the first things I'd get rid of if I had a drop in disposable income though.

Where were the Flyers?

Right behind Carolina, and sounding good.

6. Philadelphia Flyers
Previous rank: 10

It's hard to criticize the Flyers' system. Talented all-around centers? Check. Dynamic big defensemen? Check. Ridiculous goaltender depth? Check. Depth through their amateur and professional ranks? Check. Players with star upside? Check. They don't have an Auston Matthews-caliber player in the pipeline, but that player doesn't stay in your system longer than three months anyhow. Ron Hextall emphasizes patience in developing players, so I do expect this system to remain at a high level for another two seasons as the build continues.

THE 23 MINUTES THAT SHOOK THE HOCKEY WORLD

According to one source, this was it for Montreal. The potential moves were getting less and less appealing. Subban’s roster protection would kick in July 1, and if the Canadiens did not make this deal, there was nothing else to consider. This was their final non-No Trade Clause decision on the 2013 Norris Trophy Winner.

Desperation.

So the only acceptable option for this World Cup of Hockey thing is to cheer for Team North America, right? Look at this roster! Full of young, talented players that have not played in the NHL long enough to inspire hatred!

Forwards:

Sean Couturier, Philadelphia Flyers; Jonathan Drouin, Tampa Bay Lightning; Jack Eichel, Buffalo Sabres; Johnny Gaudreau, Calgary Flames; Dylan Larkin, Detroit Red Wings; Nathan MacKinnon, Colorado Avalanche; Auston Matthews, Zurich (SUI); Connor McDavid, Edmonton Oilers; J.T. Miller, New York Rangers; Sean Monahan, Calgary Flames; Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Edmonton Oilers; Brandon Saad, Columbus Blue Jackets; Mark Scheifele, Winnipeg Jets

Defense:

Aaron Ekblad, Florida Panthers; Shayne Gostisbehere, Philadelphia Flyers; Seth Jones, Columbus Blue Jackets; Ryan Murray, Columbus Blue Jackets; Colton Parayko, St. Louis Blues; Morgan Rielly, Toronto Maple Leafs; Jacob Trouba, Winnipeg Jets

Goalies:

John Gibson, Anaheim Ducks; Connor Hellebuyck, Winnipeg Jets; Matt Murray, Pittsburgh Penguins

So the only acceptable option for this World Cup of Hockey thing is to cheer for Team North America, right? Look at this roster! Full of young, talented players that have not played in the NHL long enough to inspire hatred!

That is a fantastic lineup. I usually pull for the Swedes, but this is a pretty fun roster.

There's something that just doesn't seem right about Couturier being on that NA team.

Back