• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-2019 NHL Thread – Thunderstorm Warning

Phoenix needs to hit the floor.

The $7.5M they just used to pick up Datsyuk's contract will help with that. That also puts Detroit right there in the Stamkos talks as well. Honestly not sure which team would be a better situation for Stamkos this season. Detroit used to be the easy answer, but times have changed.

ERIC LINDROS TO THE HOF!!!

:circlejerk: :circlejerk: :circlejerk:

Also: Pat Quinn, Sergei Makarov, and Rogie Vachon.

Pretty weak class this time around. I don't think Lindros deserves to be in. He probably got a concussion reading the HOF induction letter. Quinn is a solid choice, but certainly not a star. Makarov was great, and a pivotal part of the Red Army teams, but didn't play in the NHL until he was over 30. He totally belongs, but it isn't a splashy name either. I assume Vachon got in because everyone who played for Montreal in the 60s is in the Hall of Fame. It was some kind of unfair advantage Montreal used to get, like having first choice at any players from Quebec, regardless of draft order.

Pretty weak class this time around. I don't think Lindros deserves to be in. He probably got a concussion reading the HOF induction letter. Quinn is a solid choice, but certainly not a star. Makarov was great, and a pivotal part of the Red Army teams, but didn't play in the NHL until he was over 30. He totally belongs, but it isn't a splashy name either. I assume Vachon got in because everyone who played for Montreal in the 60s is in the Hall of Fame. It was some kind of unfair advantage Montreal used to get, like having first choice at any players from Quebec, regardless of draft order.

This is pretty impressive though for Lindros:

Fourth-fastest player in NHL history to score 300 points (210 games) behind Wayne Gretzky (159), Mario Lemieux (186) and Peter Šťastný (186);
Fourth-fastest player in NHL history to score 400 points (277 games) behind Wayne Gretzky (197), Mario Lemieux (240) and Peter Šťastný (247);
Fifth-fastest player in NHL history to score 500 points (352 games) behind Wayne Gretzky (234), Mario Lemieux (287), Peter Šťastný (322) and Mike Bossy (349);
Sixth-fastest player in NHL history to score 600 points (429 games) behind Wayne Gretzky (273), Mario Lemieux (323), Peter Šťastný (394), Mike Bossy (400) and Jari Kurri (419).

Lindros's resume is similar to Bure's in a lot of ways, on and off the ice.

CBJ signs Seth Jones to a six year contract. Which is great, except that they are now right at the cap. Having David Clarkson and Scott Hartnell combine for $10 million in cap space is... not ideal.

DOWN GOES BROWN'S WEEKEND REVIEW: THE BIGGEST WINNERS, LOSERS, AND SURPRISES OF THE NHL DRAFT

5. Tyson Jost's grandpa—Jost went tenth overall to the Avalanche. It was a nice moment, given the often-difficult path he and his family had followed to get here. Then his grandfather reacted like this, and suddenly everyone's allergies were acting up:

WTF. Weber's contract still has ten years left. lol Habs, lol Canada.

All the things are happening!!!

Stamkos staying in Tampa Bay. Which is more funny if you think about it from the perspective of the fans of the teams that were waiting impatiently for July 1st in hopes that their team would sign him. (I SEE YOU TORONTO!!)

If you're Montreal why not just take the Hall trade instead? Instead you have a monstrous contract on what might be an already declining defenseman.

Trifecta of pissed off Canadian NHL fans. Toronto won't get Stamkos, Montreal loses its best player for an older & lesser dman on a huge contract, and Edmonton decided to go full Edmonton today.

Dreger: "Taylor Hall is a terrific player. So either we collectively as a hockey society overvalued him, or undervalued Adam Larsson."

Last edited:
WTF. Weber's contract still has ten years left. lol Habs, lol Canada.

All the things are happening!!!

Stamkos staying in Tampa Bay. Which is more funny if you think about it from the perspective of the fans of the teams that were waiting impatiently for July 1st in hopes that their team would sign him. (I SEE YOU TORONTO!!)

Actually, it is not all that funny. Vesey time now!!!

Trifecta of pissed off Canadian NHL fans. Toronto won't get Stamkos, Montreal loses its best player for an older & lesser dman on a huge contract, and Edmonton decided to go full Edmonton today.

Dreger: "Taylor Hall is a terrific player. So either we collectively as a hockey society overvalued him, or undervalued Adam Larsson."

Or, Chiarelli is a moron and people think correctly about Hall and Larsson.

A lot of NHL GMs are morons. Every team should always be calling other teams to see if the other team has a bad trade they want to make.

I'm still laughing, btw.

Montreal was so desperate to trade PK Subban before his no-trade clause kicked in on July 1st that they took on Shea Weber's contract, which requires an $8 million bonus on July 1st.

30 Thoughts: Why couldn’t Oilers and Canadiens make a deal?

As for Montreal, as a nightmare season wound down, one player said, “They think we’re soft, physically and mentally.”

“They” referred to coaches and management. Look who’s new in town: Andrew Shaw and Shea Weber, neither of whom is known for a sweet in-game disposition.

Yeah, sure, they were soft, that's why the Habs lost. Not because they built a mediocre team that was completely dependent on the play of their supserstar goalie, who got hurt.

A six year deal for Andrew Shaw, get rid of PK, add Shea Weber. Sheesh.

Edit: I'm confusing my Canadian teams that made a terrible trade yesterday - it's the Oilers that are signing Lucic.

Last edited:
James Wisniewski bought out by the Canes. He played all of 47 seconds as a Hurricane.

Just picked up this #RockTheRainbow shirt!

It's for a good cause, and I can keep my hockey wardrobe fresh.

Back