• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UConn ranked #23

Deac83

Reaction score
UConn squeezed into the Top 25 with it's win over Mich St.

Short of winning (and I'm not sure that would be enough for some on here) what will it take for you to feel positive about the game after it's over?

Short of winning (and I'm not sure that would be enough for some on here) what will it take for you to feel positive about the game after it's over?

not wanting to kill myself? :jerkit:

All I expect is good offense, good defense, and good rebounding. Nothing ridiculous about any of that.

You found more positives than negatives in the Radford game... I think a more intriguing question would be for the boards to ask you what would it take for you to feel negative about the game after its over?

Its hard to really overstate just how bad Radford appears to be this year. If that game was indicative of the rest of the season, we're going to look back on Bz's first year as his honeymoon period.

All I expect is good offense, good defense, and good rebounding. Nothing ridiculous about any of that.

Serious question: could we do all of those things and not win? Even winning teams feel like they do those things poorly most of the time. To think that we could fulfill all those goals and still lose is crazy.

Serious question: could we do all of those things and not win? Even winning teams feel like they do those things poorly most of the time. To think that we could fulfill all those goals and still lose is crazy.

Fair point. My rebuttal is simple: Year 3, we should expect to win.

Perhaps a better way to put we should see distinct improvement relative to last year across those three categories. So far, rebounding is actually worse (which is fairly difficult to believe); offense is better (more on an individual basis than within the system though), and defense is pretty much the same.

So far, rebounding is actually worse (which is fairly difficult to believe).

Until you realize that the past two teams have been Jeff [Redacted]'s best finishing squads in Offensive OR% in his 7 years of head coaching.

It sounds like a compliment until I further clarify that those teams both finished 321st out of 345 teams. His AFA and Colorado squads ranked 330th, 332nd, 323rd, 342nd, and 341st respectively.

Defensive OR% isn't much better. His past 5 teams (from most to least recent) have been 220th, 283rd, 335th, 220th, and 158th.

Those stats are pretty damn absurd.

Let's hope the assistant coaches can pick up the obvious slack that is [Redacted] this year. In every season of every sport ever played there are surprise teams that sucked the year before but are good the follwing season. Please let that be one of those seasons.

Does anyone else think its sad that we're looking for positives "short of winning" to try to make ourselves feel good about our basketball team? That would have been laughable not that long ago. So sick of this....

The first two years of [Redacted] have, game after game, taken me back to my childhood. And by that I mean that watching our team is like playing an old school tough-as-nails Nintendo game where you die over and over again in the cheapest way possible, enraging you to the point where you throw the controller (it really was fortunate that the original Nintendo controllers were basically indestructible) straight into the TV set in sheer disbelief of what just occurred on the screen.

I don't need us to beat UConn or "keep it close" or put up 120 against Radford. I just want to watch our team play a brand of basketball that doesn't make me throw my much more fragile remote into my much more fragile flat screen and question whether I should legitimately start seeking out a new college team or just start doing meth before our games.

If we can at least start there - and I'll admit there were a few teasing moments when we looked like a team last year - then that's something. It's not about whether we lose by 10, 20, or 8 or if we backdoor cover or some random player catches fire and keeps us in it for a half.

I just want to see actual basketball. I want to see kids that know their assignments and execute at a higher level than my high school team did. I want to see a team where the sum is greater than its individual parts so I can believe we might be one stud player away from being an NCAA team again.

I would also like to wake up tomorrow with Rory's golf swing.

Still chuckling at people who thought UConn would be worse than us this year. They reload.

We hope to break the top 200.

Xavier is going to beat us also.

Last edited:
The first two years of [Redacted] have, game after game, taken me back to my childhood. And by that I mean that watching our team is like playing an old school tough-as-nails Nintendo game where you die over and over again in the cheapest way possible, enraging you to the point where you throw the controller (it really was fortunate that the original Nintendo controllers were basically indestructible) straight into the TV set in sheer disbelief of what just occurred on the screen.

I don't need us to beat UConn or "keep it close" or put up 120 against Radford. I just want to watch our team play a brand of basketball that doesn't make me throw my much more fragile remote into my much more fragile flat screen and question whether I should legitimately start seeking out a new college team or just start doing meth before our games.

If we can at least start there - and I'll admit there were a few teasing moments when we looked like a team last year - then that's something. It's not about whether we lose by 10, 20, or 8 or if we backdoor cover or some random player catches fire and keeps us in it for a half.

I just want to see actual basketball. I want to see kids that know their assignments and execute at a higher level than my high school team did. I want to see a team where the sum is greater than its individual parts so I can believe we might be one stud player away from being an NCAA team again.

I would also like to wake up tomorrow with Rory's golf swing.

It's true...those controllers were damn near indestructible.

What little bit I saw of the UConn-Mich State game, UConn looked very aggressive and I have serious doubts as to us being able to handle their pressure at all. If Buzz wants to start showing this year is going to be different, this would be a good game to start. There are no moral victories, but if we play them really tough and be in the game the closing minutes it would be a good showing.

You found more positives than negatives in the Radford game... I think a more intriguing question would be for the boards to ask you what would it take for you to feel negative about the game after its over?

Its hard to really overstate just how bad Radford appears to be this year. If that game was indicative of the rest of the season, we're going to look back on Bz's first year as his honeymoon period.

I guess most people want to keep their options open for negative post game commentary. Sure it stinks to be in the situation where winning this game is not a realistic expectation, but unless you are completely unrealistic, you have to deal with the expectations of the current team, not the team you want to have.

There a quite a few things that would make me feel negative about the game, but the easiest would be if we get down big early and are never in the game.

Still chuckling at people who thought UConn would be worse than us this year. They reload.

We hope to break the top 200.

Xavier is going to beat us also.

If Dino was coaching, then I would feel comfortable in this game. UConn got legit production from unexpected sources, but I don't expect these guys or MSU to play like they did last week for all season. That said, we have [Redacted], so hope has gone to die already.

If Dino was coaching and we had 3 NBA players on the roster, then I would feel comfortable in this regular season game. UConn got legit production from unexpected sources, but I don't expect these guys or MSU to play like they did last week for all season. That said, we have [Redacted], so hope has gone to die already.

fify.

So at #23, UConn ranks about 60 spots higher than any team we have beaten since Jeff [Redacted] arrived, correct?

Back