• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Could Wake go to a Bowl with a 5-7 record?

LOL. Pity the poor bowl that gets the Deacs. Bowls don't even want us when we're GOOD. Imagine getting a 5-7 Wake team. I halfway expect the bowl would just be like, "fuck this" and cancel.

Seriously, has anyone noticed any bowl scouts at our games recently? I imagine you just look for the saddest, drunkest bastard in the entire stadium and that is probably him.

Just double-checked ESPN standings again and there are 63 teams (including UTSA, which I think makes a bowl only if there aren't 70 teams due to their schedule moving to D1) that are bowl eligible right now.

There are 14 teams that can still make a bowl (Wake, West Virginia, Baylor, Virginia Tech, UCONN, Pitt, Michigan State, Purdue, Marshall, Rice, Central Michigan, Missouri, Ole Miss, and Troy).

Of these teams UCONN and Pitt both have to win their next two (which is unlikely given their two schedules).

Wake is 2nd (behind Rice) on that list of teams in APR so we would be chosen behind Rice assuming that if there aren't 70 teams bowls must pick in APR order. So theoretically if there are 69 bowl eligible teams Wake Forest is eliminated.

Here are the remaining schedules of these 5 win teams (excluding Wake and Rice because it is irrelevant if either wins if I understand the scenario correctly):

West Virginia @ Iowa State (6-5)
Baylor vs. Texas Tech (7-4)
Michigan State @ Minnesota (6-5)
Virginia Tech vs. UVA (4-7)
Purdue vs. Indiana (4-7)

Marshall @ ECU (7-4)
Southern Methodist vs. Tulsa (9-2)
Central Michigan @ UMass (1-10)
Missouri @ Texas A&M (9-2)
Ole Miss vs. Mississippi State (8-3)
Troy @ MTSU (7-3)

UCONN (@ Louisville (9-1), vs. Cincy (7-3))
Pitt (vs. Rutgers (9-1), @ USF (3-7))

I bolded the 4/5 win teams above that are favorited in terms of record/likely to win to get bowl eligible. That would only make it 66 teams that are bowl eligible and Wake would easily get in. In fact, two more teams with 4/5 wins could win and Wake would still go (assuming once more that I understand how teams are selected).

So to finally answer the question...Wake has an above average chance of making a bowl based on what I typed above.

Ok...unless if I'm reading this updated article incorrectly (http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/11/bowl_teams_decided_by_academic.html) then it seems like Wake wouldn't get chosen because we'd be jumped over for other teams. Especially considering a team like Utah will probably get to 5-7 with a game against Colorado this weekend that would be more appealing than Wake Forest to choose:

With Miami, Ohio State, Penn State and North Carolina facing postseason bans, the NCAA created contingency plans to fill bowls if needed. Assuming Georgia Tech gets the waiver in advance and there aren't enough 6-6 teams, Wright thinks the deciding factor for choosing ineligible teams will go straight to the last tiebreaker: APR scores.

In that situation, the five 5-7 teams that have the highest APR scores will be put in a pool for bowls to select and negotiate over, Waters said. All bowl-eligible teams will have to be selected by a bowl first before moving on to the APR teams.

"Which means there's going to be a little bit of a bickering contest when you have two bowls and both want (a 5-7) Wake Forest (over a lower-profile bowl-eligible team)," Waters said. "It'll be, 'You take 'em (the lower-profile team). No, you take 'em."

No one will know who the 5-7 teams are until the season ends. As of now, the top four- or five-win bowl contenders based on APR scores are Rice, Wake Forest, Missouri, Virginia Tech and Utah. After that, the APR order is Baylor, Pitt, West Virginia and Marshall, followed by several others.

Odds are VPI will win this weekend over UVA, which could help us because they would likely be chosen over us if it comes down to it. I think we'd be above Rice, but certainly behind Missouri or Utah. Since there is room to spare I wouldn't mind seeing Mizzou upset A&M. Then maybe Colorado can upset Utah and give Wake an even better chance.

Confusing situation to say the least.

I guess I'm confused why Waters chose Wake Forest as the team that bowl executives are battling over. It would make sense that it would be Virginia Tech or Utah he would have used in that example.

Is it possible that if there are only 2 bowl spots then only Rice and Wake can be chosen, but whichever bowl gets the first choice can choose either team?

I guess I'm confused why Waters chose Wake Forest as the team that bowl executives are battling over. It would make sense that it would be Virginia Tech or Utah he would have used in that example.

Is it possible that if there are only 2 bowl spots then only Rice and Wake can be chosen, but whichever bowl gets the first choice can choose either team?

That is my understanding...the teams are chosen in order of their APR and you can't jump a team with a higher one...so if Rice gets to 6 wins and there are only 69 teams for the 70 slots available Wake is a lock...if there are only 68 teams for the 70 slots available then Rice and Wake are a lock.... In other words the only way Wake doesn't "qualify" is if 70 teams become eligible or if 69 are eligible and Rice is not one of them (in which case Rice goes over Wake)

Let's just upset Vandy and not have to worry about figuring it out...

West Virginia will get to bowl eligible. They play at Iowa State, but then Kansas at home on Dec. 1. They will win at least one of those games.

Can't wait to see that roll call thread.

Seriously. If you're paying your own way and traveling more than 100 miles to witness that bowl game, I think you need to take a long look in the mirror. There's no prize for being "Biggest Fan."

Wonder what Mark May would say about this? Seems like he always goes out of his way to throw some hate our way any chance he gets.

I don't know but anything he says would be fully justified (and I'd agree with!).......

Seriously. If you're paying your own way and traveling more than 100 miles to witness that bowl game, I think you need to take a long look in the mirror. There's no prize for being "Biggest Fan."

If they're in Nashville I might go and accidentally miss the game.

A bowl would be great for the obvious reasons, but also for force the lackers who didn't GAF against State and ND to practice and play in a crap bowl game against a crap team.

Back