• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our Next BB Coach or #MannUp + other coach talk

TBR, the problem with having a safety net is it lets you say,"Well I would never have gotten what I really wanted anyway."

The backups will always be there. We shouldn't even be thinking about them.

TBR, the problem with having a safety net is it lets you say,"Well I would never have gotten what I really wanted anyway."

The backups will always be there. We shouldn't even be thinking about them.

Why does it bother you what we think about? It doesn't actually matter, it's just a fun distraction from another bad season of basketball.

This will be for naught when our esteemed AD decides to bring back [Redacted] for a 4th season. Like RJ, I think if Wake doesn't win at least 18 games that Wellman should fire [Redacted] within 24 hours of the last game. Unfortunately, every day that passes my gut tells me that short of something in the way of a legal matter Jeff [Redacted] will be the WFU coach next season.

I think 15 wins is the more likely line in the sand. That way [Redacted] avoids a 6th straight losing season, and Wellman can claim improvement (however slight).

If we lose tomorrow it's going to be pretty damn tough to get to 15.

Even if we win tomorrow, it's going to take a miracle to get to 15 wins. Hell even getting to last year's 13 will take a multitude of things falling into place.

Why does it bother you what we think about? It doesn't actually matter, it's just a fun distraction from another bad season of basketball.

My main thing is not to have people get back into LOWF thinking. If we put our mind, money and efforts to it, there's no reason not to get a top coach.

Even if we win tomorrow, it's going to take a miracle to get to 15 wins. Hell even getting to last year's 13 will take a multitude of things falling into place.

I don't know about a miracle (Clemson won 16 games last year after going 8-6 out of conference), but it certainly isn't likely.

The ACC is much, much better at the bottom than it was last year.

The only games we have a realistic chance to win are:

BC (2)
GT (2)
UVA home -long shot
VT home -long shot

I'm just going to point out that the last time we entered into a coaching search with a longshot list of three, an arrogant attitude, and zero strategy outside of (we are wake forest...duh), we ended up with Jeff [Redacted]. Something tells me that repeating this particularly painful patch of history would be unwise. It's not LOWF; it's just thinking realistically...

The only games we have a realistic chance to win are:

BC (2)
GT (2)
UVA home -long shot
VT home -long shot

Top 5 games and their win percentages according to KenPom:

BC (H)- 58%
VT (H)- 53%
FSU (H)- 34%
BC (A)- 31%
GT (H)- 30%

KP projects us to go 10-20 (4-14). He gives us under a 5% chance to reach 15 wins.

I don't see going with a 48 yo whose only cup of coffee at high D1 school was as an assistant over twenty years ago.

He has a great chance of winning 25 games for the 3rd straight year in D1.

I'm just going to point out that the last time we entered into a coaching search with a longshot list of three, an arrogant attitude, and zero strategy outside of (we are wake forest...duh), we ended up with Jeff [Redacted]. Something tells me that repeating this particularly painful patch of history would be unwise. It's not LOWF; it's just thinking realistically...

When will you get the reality that two our top two coaches were waiting for their dream job that looked very much like it would open the next season?

Time after time after time, you neglect the 800 pound gorilla that existed when we fired Dino.

Are you part ostrich?

I don't get why Alford is this great home run hire. He's been coaching high D1 since '99 & still searching for tourney success.

Last edited:
Sleeper Coach Tracker: 1/4

-Michael White (#94 La Tech): W 81-72 vs #118 New Mexico St. Moved up to #94 in KenPom, 89 spots higher than last year. Now 2-0 in conference play, projected 23-8 (13-5), T1st in the WAC.
-Ben Jacobson (#107 Northern Iowa): Lost @ #20 Wichita St by 25, then lost vs #91 Indiana St, 65-61. Dropped from 76 to 107 in KenPom. Now projected 15-15 (8-10).
-Andrew Toole (#143 Robert Morris): L 84-77 vs #201 Bryant. Dropped 20 spots in KenPom. Now projected 20-11 (12-6), T1st in the Northeast
-Chris Holtmann (#153 Gardner Webb): Has not played a D1 opponent in weeks. Projected 19-11 (11-5), T2nd in the BSouth.

Groce and Illinois are up 53-29 on #8 Ohio State right now... the last guy rj was vehemently against.

Back