• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our Next BB Coach or #MannUp + other coach talk

images

images

"Mike White is in his 2nd year as head coach at Louisiana Tech.."

He may turn out great, but that's not much experience. With the shape our program is in, this is probably a realistic choice of who we will end up hiring.

Heaven help us if we botch a third hire in a row.

Our next coach damn well better be Smart or Stevens!

Come on RW, make it happen!!

What do you guys think of Chris Holtmann?

Current Job Background:
  • Currently in his 3rd season at Gardner Webb
  • The year before he took the GWU job, GWU went 5-21 against D1 competition, and 5-13 in conference, ranking #331 in KenPom
  • That 2010 GWU team started 3 seniors
  • In Holtmann's first year, GWU improved to 9-21, KenPom #270
  • Now, in Holtmann's third year, GWU is 5-5 against a pretty tough non-con schedule, and is ranked #145 in KenPom (preseason #240)
  • According to KenPom, GWU is projected to go 20-10 (12-4) and win the Big South
  • This year's GWU team starts 4 non-seniors
  • This year's GWU team is ranked 50th nationally in defensive efficiency

Career Path:
  • Was an NAIA All-American at Taylor in the mid 90s, as a teammate of John Groce
  • Became Taylor's top assistant and recruiting coordinator...won b2b conference titles
  • Served as an assistant at GWU for 5 years...recruited a conference Freshman of the Year, a conference Defensive Player of the Year, and a conference Player of the Year
  • Was the first hire made by John Groce upon accepting the position of head coach at Ohio University
  • Spent 2 years as the lead assistant at Ohio, where he won a MAC title, and upset #3 seed Georgetown in the NCAAT
  • Ohio bio
  • GWU bio
  • Tempo Free History for Gardner Webb (note his defense this year)

I could keep going, but I think that's a decent start. In short: he's young (40 years old), and is consistently described as enthusiastic, energetic, etc. He's proven to be an awesome recruiter, in a number of different places. Has worked very closely with Groce. Has experience in the southeast, specifically North Carolina. Inherited one of the worst teams in the entire country, and has them in position to make the tournament in Year 3. If they live up to KenPom expectations this year, I would not expect him to be at GWU for very long.

ETA: Wanted to add one more thing. I realize that comparing potential hires to [Redacted] is dumb (b/c nearly everyone would look good), but still, this is incredible. All ranks are from KenPom (duh):

In the spring of 2010...
#58 Wake Forest hired Jeff [Redacted]
#331 Gardner Webb hired Chris Holtmann

2.5 years later...
Wake Forest is ranked #208
Gardner Webb is ranked #145

Last edited:
What do you guys think of Chris Holtmann?

Current Job Background:
  • Currently in his 3rd season at Gardner Webb
  • The year before he took the GWU job, GWU went 5-21 against D1 competition, and 5-13 in conference, ranking #331 in KenPom
  • That 2010 GWU team started 3 seniors
  • In Holtmann's first year, GWU improved to 9-21, KenPom #270
  • Now, in Holtmann's third year, GWU is 5-5 against a pretty tough non-con schedule, and is ranked #145 in KenPom (preseason #240)
  • According to KenPom, GWU is projected to go 20-10 (12-4) and win the Big South
  • This year's GWU team starts 4 non-seniors
  • This year's GWU team is ranked 50th nationally in defensive efficiency

Career Path:
  • Was an NAIA All-American at Taylor in the mid 90s, as a teammate of John Groce
  • Became Taylor's top assistant and recruiting coordinator...won b2b conference titles
  • Served as an assistant at GWU for 5 years...recruited a conference Freshman of the Year, a conference Defensive Player of the Year, and a conference Player of the Year
  • Was the first hire made by John Groce upon accepting the position of head coach at Ohio University
  • Spent 2 years as the lead assistant at Ohio, where he won a MAC title, and upset #3 seed Georgetown in the NCAAT
  • Ohio bio
  • GWU bio
  • Tempo Free History for Gardner Webb (note his defense this year)

I could keep going, but I think that's a decent start. In short: he's young (40 years old), and is consistently described as enthusiastic, energetic, etc. He's proven to be an awesome recruiter, in a number of different places. Has worked very closely with Groce. Has experience in the southeast, specifically North Carolina. Inherited one of the worst teams in the entire country, and has them in position to make the tournament in Year 3. If they live up to KenPom expectations this year, I would not expect him to be at GWU for very long.

ETA: Wanted to add one more thing. I realize that comparing potential hires to [Redacted] is dumb (b/c nearly everyone would look good), but still, this is incredible. All ranks are from KenPom (duh):

In the spring of 2010...
#58 Wake Forest hired Jeff [Redacted]
#331 Gardner Webb hired Chris Holtmann

2.5 years later...
Wake Forest is ranked #208
Gardner Webb is ranked #145

I'm totally down for the Groce tree.

Another guy to think about is Robert Morris' Andrew Toole. He is 33 years old and has done well there since he took over a couple of years ago for Mike Rice.

It's hard to tell whether or not it's more Mike Rice or Andrew Toole.

I like this thread. Good under-the-radar guys in White and Holtmann.

Mooney is a good coach, but personally would prefer a different offensive philosophy.

Mooney recently signed a 10 year extension, with an annual salary estimated to be about 700,000. Would not be an easy pull for us. I'm not saying Wake isn't a better job than Richmond, I just don't think its all that clear-cut right now. If we're going to spend well into the 7 figures to get someone, we need to get a Shaka, no-brainer type guy, imo.

We have to go balls to the walls and get a top name. We have to pay what it costs.

When we hired [Redacted] we could have hired one of these guys, but not now.

We've got to open the Brinks truck for Shaka, Stevens or Alford.

The package needs to be in the $21-30M range for 7-10 years.

We can't afford not to pay it.

Back