• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our Next BB Coach or #MannUp + other coach talk

I would like to hear Appetite's take on Dr. Brett Reed. Obviously has benefited from McCollum, but a pretty solid record at Lehigh and experience in this area, having held jobs at UNCG and High Point.

I wonder if Wellman even attends Villa 7. He clearly has no desire to go after young, up and coming assistant coaches.

I wonder how Shaka is getting along with his new AD? Seems as if there are storms brewing at VCU with the new guy in charge. Allegations that he fired the Women's volleyball coach, after a 25-6 season, because he is openly gay and married to his partner.

Before he was summoned to McLaughlin's office to be fired, Finley said he and the AD had never had a conversation. When they passed in the hallway, Finley said he would say hello, and McLaughlin never acknowledged him. The coach said at one athletic event, McLaughlin mingled with other coaches and donors, but McLaughlin walked away whenever he tried to join a conversation.

"We would take our team to watch men's soccer, women's soccer, field hockey and Ed would be down on the bench, he would be high-fiving the kids, interacting with them," Finley said. "He knew them by name. ... He didn't come to our games, he never introduced himself to our girls, didn't participate with us."

The most stinging blow on the day he was fired came when Finley received a call from some of his players, who he described as "distraught" after having met with McLaughlin to learn of his firing. When they told him McLaughlin said he wanted to hire someone "that will represent the university well," Finley said "that just stabbed me in the heart."

"When you've fought discrimination your whole life, you're used to code things like 'new direction,' 'we want someone to represent us well,'" Finley said. "In other words, I don't want a gay person representing me well."

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8695613/vcu-rams-volleyball-coach-james-finley-says-was-fired-gay

Last edited:
I know most want to get away from the Prosser tree - but Kelsey is the kind of guy that coaches with ENERGY - Wake needs that more than anything. There is this thing called leadership - and it is oozing out of Kelsey's pores. Instead of alienating former Deacs with the Culture BS.....you would have to think - a hire like Kelsey would bring them back in the fold as well.

I would like to hear Appetite's take on Dr. Brett Reed. Obviously has benefited from McCollum, but a pretty solid record at Lehigh and experience in this area, having held jobs at UNCG and High Point.

I looked at Reed and he seems pretty promising, but like you said, I'm concerned about how much he might be relying on McCollum. If you look at their team, I think it's fairly likely that they have a huge dropoff next season. I also prefer guys who have experience as assistants at big schools, particularly those who were top recruiters there. Recruiting is going to be a pretty big question mark with him.

Groce. Still a knife to the heart. I fell in love after his Bobcats pounded Georgetown in 2010. He was perfect, checking every possible box for a shot at a big job. A month later Wellman, hired Bzz. Man oh man, did he blow that one.

I looked at Reed and he seems pretty promising, but like you said, I'm concerned about how much he might be relying on McCollum. If you look at their team, I think it's fairly likely that they have a huge dropoff next season. I also prefer guys who have experience as assistants at big schools, particularly those who were top recruiters there. Recruiting is going to be a pretty big question mark with him.

My problem with Reed is that his team doesn't really play quality competition. This season Lehigh is 8-2 and both losses(Baylor & Pitt) were 20+ margins. His victories, other than Duke last season, are against scrub teams.

Put me on the Kelsey boat...if it's going to be anybody from the Prosser tree, let it be Kelsey.

We may have talked about this, but what do you think of my BOY TIM FULLER?!

sports_tim_fuller_mizzou_basketball.jpg

We may have talked about this, but what do you think of my BOY TIM FULLER?!

sports_tim_fuller_mizzou_basketball.jpg

I'd be down, although I think he's a bit more risky since he's never had a head gig. Obviously he's already an ace recruiter, though.

How about Archie Miller at Dayton? The Millers certainly seem to have coaching in their genes.

Archie isn't next level ready. Compare to Brownell at Clemson. Although I think Archie will be a better motivator and ultimately a better head coach. Clempsun will be looking to replace Brownell in a couple of years IMO.

I guess Bobby Lutz would work for us now?

Sleeper Coach Tracker: 10/18
-Chris Holtmann (#145 Gardner Webb): L 62-60 @ #115 ECU. GW missed a FT with 2 seconds left, which would have tied the game. Spread was ECU -6, so GW should move up a bit tomorrow.
-Andrew Toole (#111 Robert Morris): W 66-61 @ #219 La Lafayette. Spread was RM -3, so RM should move up a bit tomorrow.

-Michael White (#108 La Tech): Next game: 12/29 vs #83 Denver
-Ben Jacobson (#76 Northern Iowa): Next game: Tomorrow @ #21 UNLV.

Sleeper Coach Tracker: 10/20
-Ben Jacobson (#78 Northern Iowa): Dropped a few spots after losing @ #21 UNLV by 14 last night. Now 6-5 on the year, projected to go 16-14 (10-8), 4th in the MVC.

-Andrew Toole (#113 Robert Morris): Next game: Tonight at #79 Arkansas (-7)
-Chris Holtmann (#139 Gardner Webb): Next game: Sat. vs Spalding(?)
-Michael White (#108 La Tech): Next game: 12/29 vs #83 Denver (+2)

I'd seriously be excited about nearly any hire we make. It will automatically be an upgrade.

Back