• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our Next BB Coach or #MannUp + other coach talk

Neither of these guys are young, but both around 50.

Randy Bennett - No idea if he wants to leave St. Mary's as he has been successful there for years.

Dave Paulsen- He took over Bucknell in 08-09 going 7-23. Second year 14-17 & then the 3rd year 25-9. 4th year 25 wins again & this year he is 11-1. At least he has shown he can turn a program around.

Whomever we pick has to have major sizzle. We have no time to let someone "grow into the job".

Please list 5 names (not including Shaka/Stevens) that you would consider "sizzle".

My Top 3 are Stevens, Shaka and Alford. If we put up enough money and power we should be able to get one of them. If we do something like $26-28M over eight years one of them will say yes.

If we "settle" , we will be in trouble for 2-4 years.

I don't see how Alford has sizzle.

I'm negrepping everyone that mentions Stevens as a serious option, fwiw.

My Top 3 are Stevens, Shaka and Alford. If we put up enough money and power we should be able to get one of them. If we do something like $26-28M over eight years one of them will say yes.

If we "settle" , we will be in trouble for 2-4 years.

Stevens and Shaka in particular would be great if we could get one of them, but there were rumors that Stevens and Alford turned us down the last time. Can't hurt offering them again, but I doubt they change their minds.

How about getting Bob Knight out of retirement for one last run? He could be a nice bridge builder to the next viable young star.

Last edited:
Stevens and Shaka in particular would be great if we could get one of them, but there were rumors that Stevens and Alford turned us down the last time. Can't hurt offering them again, but I doubt they change their minds.

They each turned us down wanting to see what happened with Crean at IU. That was their dream job. Had Crean not turned it around that season one of them would be at IU right now.

This is completely different.

What may make it harder for Stevens this time is if Butler joins the basketball only Big East teams in a new league. A league of the Big East schools, Butler, Xavier, Cinci, St. Joe's, LaSalle and a couple of others could get a huge TV deal. They would have Philly, NYC, DC, OH, In, and IL for TV.

I don't think we have to worry about Butler and the Big East. All of that (joining the Big East, new TV deal) should take place after we've hired a new coach in the spring. Like I said can't hurt to make a few calls, but I think we're going farther down our list for a new coach.

Whomever we pick has to have major sizzle. We have no time to let someone "grow into the job".

Just a thought: But does it really matter if it is an exciting pick nationally? The Wake fan base will be absolutely pumped for the next coach, assuming its not [Redacted]-Lite. That'll buy the guy plenty of time to get things running right.

Just a thought: But does it really matter if it is an exciting pick nationally? The Wake fan base will be absolutely pumped for the next coach, assuming its not [Redacted]-Lite. That'll buy the guy plenty of time to get things running right.

There are a couple of forces at work here though... people will be happy we have a new coach, but people will also be ready to pounce on the new guy because of the ill will Wellman has built up in the Bz hire and subsequent defense of the hire.

I don't expect a prolonged honeymoon. The new coach will have to be much better at handling the fans and the media than Bz to trump skepticism and re-inspire the fan base.

This is all assuming a non big name hire... it's unlikely IMO we get someone everybody immediately knows well and is pumped about (Shaka).

The person has to be immediately able to walk into recruits' homes and have recognition.

That is about as bad at the guy that keeps insisting on Bruce Pearl

You guys do realize Stevens is from IN, went to De Pauw, his wife is from IN, and he is a basketball god there now? Do you see what I'm sayin? There is no way we had any chance w him (then or now)

Back