• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mens Basketball: Predict the # of ACC Wins

# of ACC Wins for the WF Mens Basketball Team in 2013

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vtwhat etc

Historically Competitive
Reaction score
With only 3 days until the ACC schedule gets going... I figured we should have one more thread of this sort.

Keep in mind... 18 conference games this year.

I'll go with 2...

I think we split with BC and Florida State. I was hesitant about maybe Virginia Tech, but since it's the last game of the season when we play them at home, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the team will have mailed it in far before that.

I said 3 because . . . whatever. Just a guess. I know we aren't good and we have little size, so we're going to get dominated on the boards most nights. That means plenty of second chance points for our opponents, and it forces us to shoot a high percentage to keep up. Bzzball at its best.

Virginia Tech, BC, and Wake are all bad.

Dude, Virginia Tech beat OSU. They were a 1 point loss away from starting the season 10 - 1. They've played like shit the last two games, but do you really think we can even come close to them? Someone fill me in if I'm mistaken.

5 and I think that is optimistic. Likely beat some of the other bottom teams and catch one decent team sleeping.

Dude, Virginia Tech beat OSU. They were a 1 point loss away from starting the season 10 - 1. They've played like shit the last two games, but do you really think we can even come close to them? Someone fill me in if I'm mistaken.

Yeah...Virginia Tech has one good player and it's Erick Green. They're not good at all. They did play well early on but they also played an easy schedule. They got blown out at home by Georgia Southern and then lost 88-52 to Colorado State and by roughly a billion to BYU (too lazy to look it up).

Wake Forest will win 6 or 7 ACC games (the ACC schedule has expanded to 18 games), and the athletic department will use the conference win total to claim "improvement" and that WF basketball is trending in the right direction. The truth is that the ACC is full of mediocre teams outside of Duke, State UNC and MD (yes, MD) that leaves 8 middling to bad teams. Arguing that 6 to 7 wins out of 18 against a mediocre slate is a sign of "improvement" will simply further confirm that: a) how far WF basketball has fallen under Bz; b) how average the ACC is as a conference.

WF basketball is marginally better than many on this Board believe, but that does nothing to change the fact that WF desperately needs a new basketball coach. If Wellman had made a competent hire when he canned Dino, WF would have been positioned to exploit a weak ACC. Instead, WF just contributes to it.

Don't have specific games in mind but just feel we'll win three. I have not paid attention to other ACC teams minus Duke this year so no clue how good the other teams are.

0 - that way there's no chance I'll be disappointed with this season

We're not winning a game on the road. That leaves home games against UVA, BC, NCSt, Duke, FSU, GT, Miami, MD, and VT. Of those, I'll say wins against BC, UVA, and VT, since we only have a real chance at a win in a handful of those nine.

Some of our road games will be in arenas nearly as empty as our own against teams as bad as we are. ACC road games are not exactly like a trip though hell anymore. We have a decent chance of picking up a road win if the team can hold together

I went with 5 wins.

I don't see anyway Wake beats Duke or Virginia. I would bet a lot of money we don't start 2-1.

I said 3 without giving it any real thought or analysis. That would have been a dreadful waste of time. Even more so than posting 35,000+ times on a message board.

I don't see anyway Wake beats Duke or Virginia. I would bet a lot of money we don't start 2-1.

Virginia lost to Delaware and Old Dominion. They are very capable of sucking horribly. ODU is 2-11 overall, last place in the Colonial, with their only other win over Morgan State.

They are not good, and it's at Wake. If there is no way we can win THAT game... God help us.

I went with 5 largely for the reasons stated by Pilchard. The ACC is really, really bad, and 18 games is A LOT of chances. As bad as we are, I can't see us legitimately finishing with a 3-15 or 4-14 conference record given how awful the entire bottom half of this conference is. Obviously, 5-13 or even 6-12 is still a pretty fucking awful record, but I think that's about what we'll get.

I think tonight will tell a lot.

If we were to pull out a W and then remain somewhat competitive against Duke in Cameron on Saturday (whether or not Duke's starters are on the floor after the sub-4 timeout in the 2nd half would be a decent indicator of this)... I think there's a good chance Bz could win these guys back.

If we see that CJ & Travis have already mailed it in the next two games... The three wins I predicted in the poll would probably be generous.

I thought about picking two, but ended up on three. There is enough talent to overcome our coaching that many times, I think.

Back