• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

We did have three friends end up in a new Montessori that is opening this fall, and they've been bitching about the agreement they've been asked to sign (less than 2 hours of TV a week, no logos, patterns, or designs on clothes, etc).

Ours is definitely not that kind of school, as we don't have any rules like that. They're pretty adamant about not packing cookies or candy in the Kids' lunches, but that's about it. Overambitious Teacher Appreciation Week notwithstanding, we've been very happy with the school and Kids seem to be doing very well. Boy is big into science and vehicles and general building of shit, so the ability to explore has been right up his alley. Not particularly worried about transition to elementary school, and that's still 1.5 years away for Boy.

Yeah it's more of a concern here cause once you're in a school you're pretty much there through elementary or more. Montessori type preschool then going to a regular school sounds pretty good.

So, basically, the manager/owner is passing off her own employee retention costs directly to the parents in addition to whatever "tuition" you pay.

Based on the amount of hassle I would probably just put $100-200 in a card and write, "Thanks for the effort. Figured this was better than a crappy handmade card."

So, basically, the manager/owner is passing off her own employee retention costs directly to the parents in addition to whatever "tuition" you pay.

Based on the amount of hassle I would probably just put $100-200 in a card and write, "Thanks for the effort. Figured this was better than a crappy handmade card."

Don't forget to tip your preschool teacher.

I was mistaken - Teacher Appreciation Week was the work of a parent, not the school owner. A cool parent actually, one of Wife's friends, so I've instructed Wife to ask her what the fuck.

I was mistaken - Teacher Appreciation Week was the work of a parent, not the school owner. A cool parent actually, one of Wife's friends, so I've instructed Wife to ask her what the fuck.

Wifes friend needs to CHILL

Somewhat embarrassing when your kid's teacher has to say something about "negative language." Not crazy - just a 3.5 year old saying "shut your mouth," but not something she picked up from us (we might say shut up when she's not around, but not "shut your mouth"), likely from another kid, but still embarrassing as they likely assume they get it from home.

man y'all white peep and your kids. So nervous. Come check out how they roll in Mexico. It's chill. They love the kids, teach em stuff, bilingual, good food, and nobody asks if the parents smuggling dope, people, legit, or whatevs. It's great. Have to bring your own diapers and wipes though. And fundraiser bbq couple times a year.

This was ours:

1.) On Monday, each child bring in a favorite book to donate in the teachers name. A poster outside each class for families to sign for the teachers.
2.) On Tuesday, each child bring in a flower stem and homemade card for their teachers and staff.
3.) On Wednesday, the school provides breakfast (biscuits).
4.) On Thursday, the school presents gift cards and goodies to our teachers and staff.
5.) On Friday, the school provides a catered lunch for the teachers and has parents cover the classrooms while they eat. They also get t-shirts.

6.) On Saturday night, bojanglefunk rips his pants and underwear off together
"TA DAAAAAAAAA! MY PENIS!"

We brought in 2 dozen donuts on Tuesday, cards for each of our kids' actual teachers and an overall card for the whole staff. I am also buying colored sharpies because the Parent Involvement Committee had a signup, but I might buy a bubble machine instead because that is also on the sheet and seems like more fun. But buying school supplies seems so lame when it's supposed to be for the teachers. We're getting E's teacher a prenatal massage for graduation to say thanks.

Not to #humblebrag, but since we're talking about school contributions ...
My kid's school has their annual fundraiser going on through Monday. The kid in the school who raises the most gets some special shit (principal for a day, etc.), and the class that raises the most gets some other shit as well. My kid's class is currently in 5th place out of about 25 classes. Our kid has gotten some donations from relatives, but I have held back donating directly yet.
So, on one hand my extremely competitive nature wants me to Price is Right this motherfucker by waiting to the absolute last minute and then contributing $10 higher than the greater of whatever it takes him to win the highest individual or his class to win the highest class. On the other hand, I don't want to him to be "that kid", I don't want him to think that he is going to win every time, and I don't want the school asking me for money in the future. But, the donation is ultimately for a good a good cause and the whole school benefits. So do I gun for the prize or just give a more standard donation?

Not to #humblebrag, but since we're talking about school contributions ...
My kid's school has their annual fundraiser going on through Monday. The kid in the school who raises the most gets some special shit (principal for a day, etc.), and the class that raises the most gets some other shit as well. My kid's class is currently in 5th place out of about 25 classes. Our kid has gotten some donations from relatives, but I have held back donating directly yet.
So, on one hand my extremely competitive nature wants me to Price is Right this motherfucker by waiting to the absolute last minute and then contributing $10 higher than the greater of whatever it takes him to win the highest individual or his class to win the highest class. On the other hand, I don't want to him to be "that kid", I don't want him to think that he is going to win every time, and I don't want the school asking me for money in the future. But, the donation is ultimately for a good a good cause and the whole school benefits. So do I gun for the prize or just give a more standard donation?

this should answer your question for you.
give a normal amount, and if it's really that important, donate outside of the competition if you want to give more. why make your kid the "winner" when it doesn't sound like he's super gung-ho about gunning for the prize? if he was STOKED about it and working really hard to get donations so he could win, that would be one thing... but your approach totally sounds like "that guy" and 'that guy' is a total douche.

Oh he is definitely gung-ho about it. He has been asking me every day for weeks to donate, and he asked his grandparents, aunt, etc. (he is only 6 so not exactly a wide network of potential donors for him to tap into). I just don't know if I want him to win.

You should donate to a different kid in the class, teach him a life lesson about betrayal and losing don't want to raise no millennial pussy.

Donors? Tell your kid to get a job and quit looking for handouts.

Back