• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The #Buzzout #Wellmanout Billboard: Development Thread

RedSoxFaithful

a vicar in a tutu
Reaction score
MARCH 28 UPDATE:
Okay. Here's where we stand.

1.) We're at an overwhelming 93% of the original target. That's about $4400, in case anybody's wondering. I can't thank everybody enough for this; we now definitely have concrete options in terms of what we can afford, and that is a huge luxury for our campaign.

2.) In light of this week's news, the ad will absolutely, positively, unequivocally target Ron Wellman. It's a necessity at this point.

3.) We still have the Fairway options I posted in #353, but truthfully I'm of the opinion that most of those options suck.

4.) I called both CBS and Whiteheart this afternoon with specific billboards in mind; neither answered the phone. Whiteheart is apparently a Wake fan and anti-Bz, so he might be our best bet going forward. I'm going to try both CBS and Whiteheart again around 4:30.

5.) If anybody still has the ear of Katz, Brennan, et al, now would be a good time to let them know that we're moving forward with a billboard. We need the media to be ready for this in advance of the billboard actually going up. It's our best chance to control the story, to be frank. I tweeted at Katz, Brennan, Bomani, Drew Magary, and Chris Chase to let them know that we have officially gotten enough $$ for a board. Please follow suit with anybody you can think of; this is arguably more important for the cause than donations at this point.

Some information behind the project: We originally were quoted at $4700 for 4 weeks of a billboard on Business 40 in downtown W-S. I'm not sure if that quote would still stand, but we can safely set an estimate of $4500 for now and see where that lands later on. Obviously there would be some flexibility here in terms of location, but IIRC we agreed that Business 40 in downtown W-S would make the biggest impact for the buck.

In terms of design, obviously we'd all want VT to design the ad if he were up to it. If so, he'd have complete control over content.

Here's the link to the Crowdtilit. You can donate $1, $5, $10, $100, $500... whatever you feel comfortable contributing. But with such a big goal, we're going to need help.

Last edited:
I wanted the billboard to be hilarious, not just a stat, but I imagine I am in the minority.

I'm interested. Are we talking a dedicated, traditional billboard for this price or one of the digital billboards positioned directly in front of WFU Medical Center?
For $4500, I think we need to pinpoint an almost precise location given that this is significant change. Great idea but significant change.

A lot of people have said we should wait on a #buzzout billboard until it's officially announced [Redacted] is back for next season.

I disagree. The media (Collins, Glenn, et al) have already started saying it's a formality, and we're riding at a publicity high right now thanks to the amazing ad work from the Stratt brothers and Mr. Bason. I think the wisest idea would be to keep it up, and the agreed upon next logical step is a billboard.

Now, here's the thing: Even if we started fundraising right now, it's not like we're going to get a billboard up in the next couple of days, or even the next couple of weeks. So, that being said, if we're looking at a month or longer of lag time, I don't see the harm in starting fundraising right now. The magic of Crowdtilt is such that we can get pledges without any actual donations, and so it'd be a solid way to get the ball rolling and get a feel for enthusiasm behind the project.

Some information behind the project: We originally were quoted at $4700 for 4 weeks of a billboard on Business 40 in downtown W-S. I'm not sure if that quote would still stand, but we can safely set an estimate of $4500 for now and see where that lands later on. Obviously there would be some flexibility here in terms of location, but IIRC we agreed that Business 40 in downtown W-S would make the biggest impact for the buck.

In terms of design, obviously we'd all want VT to design the ad if he were up to it. If so, he'd have complete control over content.

Here's the link to the Crowdtilit. You can donate $1, $5, $10, $100, $500... whatever you feel comfortable contributing. But with such a big goal, we're going to need help.

As I said yesterday, I'm willing to put up 2 grand for said project as long as it also involves Wellman's name on the billboard. Do you think "Ron Wellman is an arrogant prick who ruined WF basketball" is possible? Also, I think we need to aim for longer than a month, more like 6..from May to the beginning of basketball season.

As I said yesterday, I'm willing to put up 2 grand for said project as long as it also involves Wellman's name on the billboard. Do you think "Ron Wellman is an arrogant prick who ruined WF basketball" is possible? Also, I think we need to aim for longer than a month, more like 6..from May to the beginning of basketball season.

quad swinging big dick

How about Cruise and Hoffman side by side with Wellman and Buzz with the phrase "We're not in Vegas"

Since vt has alluded to Sundays Greensboro ad being directed at Wellman, maybe for the sake of consistency we could use that for the billboard.

Unless you're going to be stuck in traffic wherever the billboard is, that's not such a great idea.

quad swinging big dick

Didn't MAC just say he was willing to front the costs for the whole thing?

Sounds like he just needs reassurance that there's enough interest to (at least partially, depending on what he's willing to contribute) reimburse him over time.

I've not kept up with the billboard stuff, so i'll try to catch up. I agree that now's the time to think ahead. Once official word comes down assuming its not in our favor, we've got a very (very) brief window where most of us still care.

Pledge it on Crowdtilt, and you have my guarantee. I'll edit the project description to include that guarantee the second you do.

''Fire [Redacted]. Fire Ron Wellman.
firebz.com''

That is my recommendation. Simple. To the point. Both wellman and Buzz included. If we can gauge the interest and people will start putting money on the table, I'd drop it on my card Monday.

At this point there's gotta be a fire Wellman reference in there. Time to cut the head off the snake.

I'm in for $100. Friend who is an Ohio St fan and doesn't care anything about the ACC will also chip in $100.

At this point, yes, the message must absolutely shift to Bzout/wellmanout.

I will wait to give until after its officially official.

Back