• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Redskins Name Change Thread

i'm trying to decide if i would feel comfortable walking up to a native american friend and saying "what's up redskin."

Didn't we establish that other folks are allowed to be offended by the name?

Yes, but there is also something to be said for objective standards when it comes to being "offended." If somebody chooses to be subjectively, vicariously offended about something that 90% of the people who are the supposed to be offended are not actually offended by, we may want to examine how much Tyranny of the Butthurt we're going to collectively suffer. I'm trying to think of a more
Millenial crusade than an internet hissy fit over a proper noun, but I can't. Six billion people on the planet, guys. We can't stop axial rotation every time BBD* or Deacfreke07 is late for an appointment with the Feelings Doctor. It doesn't change anything for me if they change the name (I'd prefer they prioritize their attention on pass blocking), but it's equally important that you guys understand that it doesn't actually change anything if they do, either. At some point it will occur to you guys that issues like these are your version of flag burning.

In light of the fact that a supermajority of Native Americans DGAS about this name (and some actually want to keep it), I'd politely direct the generosity of your attention towards problems that impact Native Americans to ones that actually do. Maybe even some problems that involve verbs, this time.

* Who I've gathered has Dare County ties, which now makes me wonder if he is a graduate of Manteo High School. Home of....

Last edited:
Yes, but there is also something to be said for objective standards when it comes to being "offended." If somebody chooses to be subjectively, vicariously offended about something that 90% of the people who are the supposed to be offended are not actually offended by, we may want to examine how much Tyranny of the Butthurt we're going to collectively suffer.

In light of the fact that a supermajority of Native Americans DGAS about this name (and some actually want to keep it), I'd politely direct the generosity of your attention towards problems that impact Native Americans to ones that actually do.

What might those be and, given your political beliefs, how can we remedy these problems?

I'd go as far to say that for a population that is, for all intents and purposes invisible, saturating the media with nothing but caricatures does very little to further your noble pursuit for social justice.

What might those be and, given your political beliefs, how can we remedy these problems?

I'd go as far to say that for a population that is, for all intents and purposes invisible, saturating the media with nothing but caricatures does very little to further your noble pursuit for social justice.

My what? I'm for the only sustainable form of actual social justice, which is individual liberty. The problem with so many of the contemporary crusades about so-called "social justice" is that they invariably result in big, dumb, nonfunctional government programs (much like this noun crusade: feels great, does nothing) that make and keep people poor. If you think the solution to problems facing Native Americans (and for that matter, any person or people in similar situations) is a bunch of guilty people on the other side of the prosperity fence ginning up a big government solution that will pretend to solve all of the problems, wants and needs for a people, I'd challenge you to find a better (read: worse) example of that the way our government has treated Native Americans for the last 150 years. Or as Henry Ford once said,

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."

I'm known to occasionally touch on these topics on the Politics Board. I'm pretty sure it's come up.

eta: But since I can't resist, my first substantive policy proposal would be a Pay-Per-View event where a 28 year old Wake graduate saunters onto the reservation and conducts a town hall event where he hastens to reassure the attendees that "Don't worry, remain calm, I'm here in the name of the United States Government to solve all of your problems for you." A hefty percentage of the proceeds would fund scholarship programs and substance abuse counseling services for Native Americans, after deductions for your medical expenses, naturally.

Last edited:
straw-man.jpg

Says who? As Riley pointed out in his column the vast majority of teams that use the mascot "Redskins" are schools in heavily American Indian populated areas and they are not offended by it. Again, this is white people saying that the term redskins should not be in the lexicon...not American Indians.

So you can imagine my dismay when I saw my name and words used to defend the racist Washington Redskins name. My son-in-law, ESPN’s Rick Reilly, completely misunderstood the conversation we had, quoting me as saying “the whole issue is so silly. The name just doesn't bother me much. It's an issue that shouldn't be an issue, not with all the problems we've got in this country."

But that’s not what I said.

What I actually said is that “it’s silly in this day and age that this should even be a battle — if the name offends someone, change it.” He failed to include my comments that the term “redskins” demeans Indians, and historically is insulting and offensive, and that I firmly believe the Washington Redskins should change their name.

When Rick’s article came out, it upset me to be portrayed as an “Uncle Tom” in support of this racial slur. I asked him to correct the record. He has not, so I must do it myself.

http://deadspin.com/rick-reillys-american-indian-father-in-law-says-reilly-1443599450

Oh, and even though I've posted this link like five times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/10/s...finished-business.html?hp&pagewanted=all&_r=0

DEFINITELY just white people

Seriously, anybody who thinks that the name isn't a big deal, just read this fucking article. Guess what. IT WAS NOT WRITTEN BY A WHITE PERSON SUFFERING FROM LIBERAL GUILT

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwo...ly-misquoted-him-wants-redskins-banned-151696

Chief Heavy Runner had sent all the able-bodied men out to hunt for food. The soldiers attacked the wrong camp. But when it was pointed out to him that these were friendly Indians, and when the people pleaded for mercy for the children, Col. Baker said “nits breed lice.” He likely called them “dirty redskins.” That is how we perceive the use of the word “redskins.”

I grew up seeing store signs in the nearby town of Cutbank that read “No dogs or Indians allowed.” Our Indian families who live on reservations continue to feel the sting of racism. I could never support the term “redskins” because we know first-hand what racism and ignorance has done to the Blackfeet people. Our people grew up hearing terms like nits, dirty redskins, prairie nigger, savages, heathens, lazy Indians and drunks -- all derogatory terms used to label us. It is better today, but the underlying mentality is still there or obviously people would change the name.

“Redskins” is part of that mentality from colonial times when our people were hunted by soldiers and mercenaries who were paid for the scalps of our men, women and children. How can anyone claim this is a proud tradition to come from? The labels, racism and hatred that Indian people continue to experience are directly tied to those racial slurs.

by the logic of this thread, wake fans that have sick family members, shitty work situations, debt problems, leaking roofs, cars that might not make it through the winter, drug and alcohol addiction, etc. shouldn't waste their time worrying about the coach of a basketball team.

No, it isn't. Please, show me evidence that the name will change. There is no debate as to whether the name will change, the debate is over whether it's use is right or wrong. The man who owns the team, who happens to be the one that would change the name (if you haven't figured this out in your studious research) is entrenched in his stand to not change the name. You, I, politicians, Native American tribes, or the media aren't changing his mind. Snyder is a billionaire. Billionaires do whatever the fuck they want and he has made that clear. What WILL change his mind is money. And, in case you haven't noticed this either, the Redskins have fucking sucked for 20 years (until last year) and are still one of the top 5 most profitable and valuable teams in the NFL. The money is talking and it's in the form of a 5+ year waiting list for season tickets and the most popular jersey in the league.

We can continue the debate over whether the name is offensive and if it should change, but you're being completely dense if you think it will change. The billionaire owner, who is very set in his stance, has spoken and there's nothing us peons can do about it.

This is like something from The Onion.
Yet, Caucasians have proved to be remarkably resistant to offense. Quite the opposite, many agree with the e-mailer who saw the new team name as an honor to white Americans, who apparently don't get enough credit for their many contributions to history.

"Help me out here," asked one e-mail to the Greeley Tribune, "why am I supposed to be offended?"

Within days the newspaper, the college and Little Owl's office had received so many requests for team T-shirts that the Fightin' Whities now sell their own line of sportswear at their own Web site with all proceeds going to the Fighting Whites Scholarship Fund Inc.

Back