• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Redskins Name Change Thread

So, the resolution would read:

Whereas white people showed up and murdered thousands upon thousands of your people; and
Whereas white people stole all of your land and marched you onto shitty reservations; and
Whereas white people treated you like second-class citizens for hundreds of years; and

Therefore be it Resolved that we are going to change the mascot of a football team.

Do work D.C. City Council.

DC Council is hard-pressed to wipe their own ass. And a non-binding resolution is exactly that, no matter what color crayon they use to write it.

Rename the Washington Redskins - Grantland

For most Native Americans, there's no more offensive name in English. That non-Native folks think they get to measure or decide what offends us is adding insult to injury.

You say the name isn't offensive. I think it's time to prove it. Let's let the tailgate drop and the bullshit stop. Instead of proclaiming how "respectful" the name "redskin" is in a region with an indigenous population of just 0.6 percent, I am inviting you to take a road trip with me. I am asking you to step out of your gated community and roll with me Midnight Run–style to a bar on the Pine Ridge reservation among the Black Hills in the great state of South Dakota. Once there, you will walk proudly through the door, stand tall in a beautiful burgundy-and-gold Starter jacket and your famous Redskins belt buckle, and sing our shared fight song, "Hail to the Redskins." Explain the rich history of the team to all present. Tell them about how it's really a tribute, as your former vice-president Karl Swanson said, "derived from the Native American tradition for warriors to daub their bodies with red clay before battle." Make it plain that you mean no disrespect, and then let's roll the cameras and make YouTube magic.

I fear you'll find out the hard way that if your team name only exists because there happened to have been a genocide, then it might be time to think up a new name. I'm also afraid that when our experiment is done, you may need a trip to the dentist. It shouldn't be too bad. After all, you can use caps.

lawl at Pine Ridge reservation, they're just looking for an excuse to kill white people. Not the best example. I seriously doubt the author has gone there to bring the topic up. How about go and hang out with some Indians in some place Indian-y but less likely to kill FBI agents, like Oklahoma, and ask if they give a shit. You will find some who do and some who don't.

There's a place called White Settlement here in North Texas, so named because white settlers started up the town years ago near where some Indians were settled. The name may be a bit archaic these days, but they squashed a name change proposal a few years back by an overwhelming margin. Point being that people invested in a name aren't going to budge unless forced to or unless run by a bunch of dufus academics (hello, Syracuse Orange, I'm looking at you).

I think people need to realize that sports teams are not in the habit of naming themselves pejoratives. This is why I think the "what if" scenarios that contemplate the Redskins being named the N-word or Darkies or some other nasty euphemism for black people fall short. There are/were a whole host of teams named after various tribes (Fighting Sioux, Seminoles, Blackhawks), positions (Chiefs, Braves), and generalities (Redskins, Orangemen), and all are intended to indicate a fierceness common for a sports name. I mean, they beat the everloving shit out of newer franchise names like the Heat, Thunder, Magic, Marlins, and Pelicans.

May the PC crowd feel free to give me grief now for calling Native Americans Indians.

I kind of think Redtails would be awesome.

So do I. Don't know what it means, but I think it would be awesome.

Oh, wait. That's a hawk. Shit, I was thinking of more imaginative conceptions than that.

Last edited:
Why are we still debating this? It's not changing. Now or as long as Dan Snyder is the owner, which will probably be forever.

BBD...I have been curious since you have been so outspoken about this. What is you opinion of the Atlanta Braves doing the mock war chant and tomahawk chop during games? Would that be akin to a team being named the Atlanta African-Americans (a less offensive name) but handing out fried chicken and watermelon during critical points of the game?

BBD...I have been curious since you have been so outspoken about this. What is you opinion of the Atlanta Braves doing the mock war chant and tomahawk chop during games? Would that be akin to a team being named the Atlanta African-Americans (a less offensive name) but handing out fried chicken and watermelon during critical points of the game?

I go back and forth about the tomahawk chop. It's not an easy question. There is no way it's on the same level as fried chicken and watermelon, but at the same time, it kind of perpetuates the image of Native Americans as violent savages. But I don't think it's as cut and dried as other things in the sports world. For example, I was against the "Screaming Indian" logo that they thought about bringing back for BP caps this year. I also don't like the Cleveland Indians caricature logo.

I go back and forth about the tomahawk chop. It's not an easy question. There is no way it's on the same level as fried chicken and watermelon, but at the same time, it kind of perpetuates the image of Native Americans as violent savages. But I don't think it's as cut and dried as other things in the sports world. For example, I was against the "Screaming Indian" logo that they thought about bringing back for BP caps this year. I also don't like the Cleveland Indians caricature logo.

You sound like a Redskin name defender. Either it's offensive or its not...right?

The NFL will make Danny change the name in less than 10 years. Fact.

Fact? Evidence? I've got $10,000 that says they won't. If it changes (which it won't,) it will be because Snyder breaks and decides to do it himself. But Synder ain't breaking for the PC Police. As he's repeatedly shown, he doesn't give a shit what anyone thinks.

Last edited:
Back