• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACA Running Thread

So CH and others have brought up one of the problems of the ACA people making >400% of the FPL because the tax credits abruptly stop at that level. While a relatively small percentage of people getting plans on the market overall, it's definitely a real problem (and one of the things they SHOULD be trying to fix instead of this charade in the Senate right now). Here's an analysis of extending the credits people >400% of FPL using RAND's model. Take home is it would cost ~$6 billion, reduce the uninsured rate by 1.2 million people, and improve the risk pool, decreasing premiums for all.

http://www.commonwealthfund.org/pub...ion?omnicid=EALERT1247883&mid=eibner@rand.org

This. Now, it doesn't fix the issue of why its so expensive but it will help a lot of people. The 400% FPL market is very sick, based solely on economics.

Last edited:
Don't know the number, but costs would go up pretty dramatically if it were changed to 5 to 1, as nearly all the projected new tax credits go to people aged 50-64 in their analysis.

Yeah, but if we keep the current subsidy structure it mitigates this esp if we extend APTC above 400%. A lot of the analysis factored in the new subsidy structure, essentially a flat $ amount regardless of income. Thats hurtful.

I do, do you know where people get their health insurance from?

2016_total_coverage_pie_chart.jpg

cue jhmd reporting that the democrats/liberals made those people too lazy to sign up for something they were eligible for, by making them eligible in the first place.

Why aren't Joel Osteen and other good Christians who are flush with tithe money not going out and helping the people who are eligible but just too 'lazy' to sign up get signed up? Or just buying them a plan? I'm sure Jesus would bring that up when they got to heaven, don;t you?

This. Now, it doesn't fix the issue of why its so expensive but it will help a lot of people. The 400% FPL market is very sick, based solely on economics.

Man if people are freaked out about the 400% FPL market, they would damn near feint if they ever tried to run a business.

This is amazing. Holy shit I can't even

This is amazing. Holy shit I can't even

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

So what does everyone think will happen? Seems like they'll vote it forward, it will go to conference where no one will come up with anything better, and the House will pass the bill as is while the senators complain about the process.

Isn't the 400% FPL market just the unsubsidized market, which is what every employer has to pay?

No. The ACA rates are ~2.5x higher than the experienced rated group market, less what they ask their employees to contribute. So if ACA rate is ~1,000, employers pay $400 and then charge employees ~20% (on average) dropping their rates to ~$320. Discount this another 25% for taxes to get it to $260 (ind premiums aren't deductible)? Plus employers get lift from their employees contributions through 125 plans. SO maybe they end up paying $250.

Lol, and a nice little GFY back from Murkowski. It's all just sad though.

Murkowski and Collins have most of the balls in the Senate GOP.

No. The ACA rates are ~2.5x higher than the experienced rated group market, less what they ask their employees to contribute. So if ACA rate is ~1,000, employers pay $400 and then charge employees ~20% (on average) dropping their rates to ~$320. Discount this another 25% for taxes to get it to $260 (ind premiums aren't deductible)? Plus employers get lift from their employees contributions through 125 plans. SO maybe they end up paying $250.

Do you have data on this? On my group a 26 year old is paying roughly $400/mo, you're telling me if they bought through the ACA it'd be $1k/mo? Sounds like a disaster.

Do you have data on this? On my group a 26 year old is paying roughly $400/mo, you're telling me if they bought through the ACA it'd be $1k/mo? Sounds like a disaster.

Im using our plan averages here and rounded to 1000 to help make the math easier. But all the other ratios I used are correct. Thus the reason I argue a person making 401% of the FPL who buys their own insurance gets screwed.

Im using our plan averages here and rounded to 1000 to help make the math easier. But all the other ratios I used are correct. Thus the reason I argue a person making 401% of the FPL who buys their own insurance gets screwed.

Not sure I am understanding what you're saying here. A 26 year old has to pay $1,000/month roughly (The employer pays about $400 for a PPO) if he was at 401% of the FPL? ($400*2.5=$1,000).

Paul Ryan's statement seems pretty wishy washy. Will Lindsey Graham vote for the bill he just excoriated on camera without a strong statement from the House? Find out after the next commercial break.

Also, I used this calculator here and it spit out $282 for a Silver plan. Think your math is really really off. Otherwise it would only cost us roughly $100 for a silver plan. It does not.

http://www.kff.org/interactive/subs...s[0][tobacco]=0&child-count=0&child-tobacco=0

Paul Ryan's statement seems pretty wishy washy. Will Lindsey Graham vote for the bill he just excoriated on camera without a strong statement from the House? Find out after the next commercial break.

If they pass it, he won't change a word. He's a scumbag.

Also fairly absurd to state we need federal subsidies to help people who make at least $50k a year

As of 9:44PM EDT the GOP has not shown a bill to the Dems. Not a single person knows what they are voting on tonight.

Back