• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"Why I support women's access to safe, legal abortion"

BeachBumDeac

Cheap Date
Reaction score
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jul/03/rob-delaney-access-safe-legal-abortion

I support a woman's right to safe, legal abortion because centuries of history shows us that women are going to get abortions whether they're safe and legal or not. And when they're not safe and legal, these women will often die terribly or be damaged irreparably. In my fantasy utopia, there would be no abortion. There'd be contraception readily available and there'd be education geared toward preventing unwanted pregnancies. Adoption would be easier.

We don't live in a utopia, however. We live in a country where scoundrels are certain and nuance is vilified. I opened up my own thought process above to demonstrate that it isn't neat. But it's all taking place unified in one man's skull. And I'm not unique in having a complex thought relationship with abortion. I'm like a lot of people. Most people.

Sorry. People still steal, people still murder. People do all sorts of things I think are morally reprehensible and bad for society. I don't condone acts against humanity simply because the people involved may be injured unless I allow for a safe way for them to commit those acts. That is poor logic.

You can't lump abortion in with crimes. It is legal in the US.

I wonder where Wrangor, jhmd, and 2&2 stand on this issue.

You can't lump abortion in with crimes. It is legal in the US.

LOL. In that case, you can't ever discuss limiting gun ownership since it's currently legal in the US as well.

Last edited:
LOL. In that case, you can't ever discuss limiting gun ownership since it's currently legal in the US as well.

Oopsie...

Come on, rj was knocking down Wrangor's straw man, and now you're setting up another one. No one was saying you can't discuss abortion because it's legal. Wrangor wasn't saying he can't discuss it because it's immoral either.

Is the NC General Assembly talking about restricting gun ownership to one room in the whole state?

Is the NC General Assembly talking about restricting gun ownership to one room in the whole state?

Not that I know of. Just pointing out the absurdity of RJ's argument that says you can compare something that you may believe should be illegal to other things that are illegal simply because said thing is not illegal right now.

Wrangor's entire point is that he thinks abortion should be a crime, like the others he listed.

Come on, rj was knocking down Wrangor's straw man, and now you're setting up another one. No one was saying you can't discuss abortion because it's legal. Wrangor wasn't saying he can't discuss it because it's immoral either.

I am confused as to where the straw man resides in my first post. I am against stealing and would be against it even if the person stealing could potentially be hurt. I am against abortion and would be against it even if the person aborting a child could get hurt. In both cases I feel the act is morally reprehensible and bad for society. Does everyone feel like me? ... of course not....clearly the OP doesn't. But to claim this line of logic as factual evidence as to why even people who are against abortion should somehow condone it is false. It is a false logic. It does not hold up to scrutiny. We all know where people stand on abortion on these boards. I addressed this line of thinking because it is a false narrative.

Stealing is illegal. Abortion isn't. That's the difference.

Stealing is illegal. Abortion isn't. That's the difference.

Read what Wrangor wrote. He thinks stealing and abortion are both wrong. It is readily apparent that he believes they are wrong (and should be illegal) regardless of their present legality. His argument is in line with the thread topic, which presents an opinion about whether abortion should be legal. Wrangor is entitled to his opinion on its legality as you are entitled to yours. But, your argument that abortion actually is legal is circular and completely misses the point of the thread. Give it a rest.

That said, I agree with WakeandBake: so great to see another thread on this topic.

Last edited:
I wonder if we will hit a point where all the recent focus on abortion will backfire on both parties. For all the attention given to the extremes, it seems like the bulk of people are somewhere in the middle – either because they think abortions should be legal for victims of rape or incest, or because they hate abortion but don’t think it is the government’s role ban it, or because they think abortion should be legal but are OK with limiting the time period in which women have access, or whatever else. At what point do all those people get tired of hearing it from both sides?

(And yes, "years ago" is an acceptable response.)

I think you assume you are a part of a silent majority. You are not. The majority in this case is the extremes.

I think you assume you are a part of a silent majority. You are not. The majority in this case is the extremes.

b1tknbxezu-afxekhpvmta.gif

Pretty evenly split between extreme / not extreme. Which makes the middle twice the size of either extreme by itself.

Back