• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Air Banner Message

There is exactly ONE private, elite university consistently playing FCS football at a high level and they have a rich 100+ year football history.

I think you mean "FBS" and you're wrong either way

I said I would never post here but.....

Going after Ron Wellman and complaining about the state of Wake Forest football and the state of the athletic program is insanity. Wake Forest has gone to more bowl games in the last 7 years under Wellman/Grobe than in the history of the university before Wellman. Wake Forest has averaged 6 wins a season since 2000. There were 8 combined 6 win seasons in the previous 40 years.

We are Wake Forest, one of the smallest, most expensive, most elite universities playing FCS football. We have one of, if not the, smallest stadium in FCS. We are not, nor will we ever be a football power. There is exactly ONE private, elite university consistently playing FCS football at a high level and they have a rich 100+ year football history.

Ron Wellman is a man who has dedicated his entire career to Wake Forest University. He could have used Wake Forest as a stepping stone to a bigger higher profile job but he didn't. He made Wake Forest home and he made its programs more than most of us ever imagined possible. His fingerprints are all over this university with the Deacon tower, the record Deacon club membership, the soccer stadium, the tennis complex (complete with a showcase professional tournament), the golf complex and so many more positives. It's an insult to Wake Forest University, its students, its student-athletes and its alumni to denigrate the 2 decades of service Ron Wellman has given this university.

In my opinion, the man has made one mistake in 22 years. He hired Jeff [Redacted]. If he would Fire Jeff [Redacted], that mistake would be rectified. Any target other than Jeff [Redacted] makes us appear to be the spoiled brats the administration has made us out to be all along. It's Jeff [Redacted] with the 11% approval rating, not Ron Wellman!

The administration would like nothing better than have us chase Ron Wellman. He's not going anywhere and we look foolish for the effort. Use a little common sense and remember how this mission began. FIRE JEFF [Redacted]!!!

Ron Wellman has acted like the most smug asshole imaginable since hiring [Redacted]. If he was at all remorseful, then he wouldn't be the target. Sucks for him.

I look forward to your defense of the Randy Casstevens hire. Ron hired a retard ([Redacted]) and a criminal (Casstevens) into our midsts. I'm not sure which is worse.

Yeah we didn't get to this point because Wellman was acting professionally. He hired Buzz and could have fired him, instead he decided to go all in with oh heavens yes, fake attendance numbers, made up donor numbers, basically telling the fan base I am a dictator and go fuck yourself. Well guess what the fan base can tell you to go fuck yourself too Wellman and we will do it in public with a banner.

Going after Ron Wellman and complaining about the state of Wake Forest football and the state of the athletic program is insanity. Wake Forest has gone to more bowl games in the last 7 years under Wellman/Grobe than in the history of the university before Wellman. Wake Forest has averaged 6 wins a season since 2000. There were 8 combined 6 win seasons in the previous 40 years.

We are Wake Forest, one of the smallest, most expensive, most elite universities playing FCS football. We have one of, if not the, smallest stadium in FCS. We are not, nor will we ever be a football power. There is exactly ONE private, elite university consistently playing FCS football at a high level and they have a rich 100+ year football history.

Ron Wellman is a man who has dedicated his entire career to Wake Forest University. He could have used Wake Forest as a stepping stone to a bigger higher profile job but he didn't. He made Wake Forest home and he made its programs more than most of us ever imagined possible. His fingerprints are all over this university with the Deacon tower, the record Deacon club membership, the soccer stadium, the tennis complex (complete with a showcase professional tournament), the golf complex and so many more positives. It's an insult to Wake Forest University, its students, its student-athletes and its alumni to denigrate the 2 decades of service Ron Wellman has given this university.

For the last three years in a row Wake's athletic programs have garnered a last place finish in the Director's Cup. Last year, Wake had the LOWEST finish EVER for an ACC school in the Director's Cup. In fact, we've only finished in the UPPER HALF of the ACC in the Director's Cup competition 3 times in Wellman's 20 year career at Wake. His primary job is to build successful athletic programs. He's had 20 years and he has failed miserably.

In my opinion, the man has made one mistake in 22 years. He hired Jeff [Redacted]. If he would Fire Jeff [Redacted], that mistake would be rectified. Any target other than Jeff [Redacted] makes us appear to be the spoiled brats the administration has made us out to be all along. It's Jeff [Redacted] with the 11% approval rating, not Ron Wellman!

The administration would like nothing better than have us chase Ron Wellman. He's not going anywhere and we look foolish for the effort. Use a little common sense and remember how this mission began. FIRE JEFF [Redacted]!!!

His primary successes have been making excuses and convincing the "big money" that it is OK to be LOWF.

joeyd joined on March 12, 2013. What was going on around March 12th? This board was gearing up for our first newspaper ad.

Methinks we've found a mole.

Completely agree, and that's why the AD has no problem with running the air banner against Wellman. The target should be Buzz not Wellman.

But the thing is it doesn't really look insane. Some media types might include all of this in the coverage (wherever there is going to be coverage in the first place), but mostly it's going to be a talking point that can bring some attention to Wake's frustration with Ron Wellman. This goes well beyond [Redacted] at this point. It was a really bad hire, but the smugness and appearance of intellectual superiority which Wellman has presented ever since is what has really alienated the fan base. He came out and did newspaper and radio interviews defending the hire. He shut down live callers to the weekly radio show and has utilized the media relations department in a Pravda-esque campaign. He has put himself in the spotlight about [Redacted] and he made it about him. He tied himself to [Redacted] and now people are criticizing fans for hanging him with the noose he handed the fanbase? No thank you.

Wellman has done a lot for Wake Forest and when he steps down he will be remembered as such. He improved facilities, he made solid hires (or hired people who made solid hires) for a lot of sports programs, he's served on the NCAA selection committee and is currently the chair. Plenty of people are very good at their job and when the time has passed them by, start to make mistakes. I think Wake fans will certainly appreciate everything Wellman has done for the university a couple years after he leaves. None of this changes the fact that he has to go. None of this changes the fact that currently he is not good for the program. His obstinacy with regards to [Redacted] has crippled the flagship sport and his refusal to make changes with the football program both signal that it is time for him to leave. He no longer has Wake's best interest in mind, he is being stubborn for the sake of being right and proving the fan base wrong.

Wellman was a great AD for Wake Forest and should be remembered as such. This does not mean that it isn't time for him to go.

u gonna get neg-repped so hard for ur post, but it has a lot of truth. RW still should retire though (we have a kind of joe pa/bowden situation here). agree to keep the focus on bz because it's a much easier sell. RW is apparently too well connected, and the media may misrepresent the banner as the work of a few spoiled, over-zealous fans when it's really more of a grassroots idea from a desperate fanbase with a message that is nearly universally supported among WF fans.

Last edited:
Bz took an offer that he didn't deserve and allowed him to be closer to his daughter, who was a student at Wake, and closer to his vacation property. It's hard to blame him for doing so.

He's a lot like Rondale Watson if you think about it. Except I'm guessing Rondale isn't an arrogant ass like Bz has shown to be though.

Obviously it's unscientific, but the two polls about Wellman from a passionate portion of the fan who is still here speak volumes. We're looking at good number of diehard fans who changed their mind about Wellman in under 2 years.

Is there any way to get a Wellman fact sheet to some media types in advance of the banner? Anybody writing about this would have no idea how bad things have been under Wellman.

Also keep in mind, the nation is going to find out how bad this guy is during hoops season.

To those with inside knowledge, how much heat is Wellman feeling from the BOT?

Obviously it's unscientific, but the two polls about Wellman from a passionate portion of the fan who is still here speak volumes. We're looking at good number of diehard fans who changed their mind about Wellman in under 2 years.

Is there any way to get a Wellman fact sheet to some media types in advance of the banner? Anybody writing about this would have no idea how bad things have been under Wellman.

Also keep in mind, the nation is going to find out how bad this guy is during hoops season.

Exactly. Most of us gave him the benefit of the doubt for a while with [Redacted]. because we thought Bz would succeed, but because Wellman had generally shown he could make decent decisions. And, Wake typically has a patient and reasonable fan base.

Since then he has more than doubled down on Bz and insulted pretty much everyone but Don Flow and Braces. And, Bz has proved even worse than we thought. Not a recipe for success.

I second the bold. I agree that it'll be really helpful to complement the banner with a fact sheet.

I second the bold. I agree that it'll be really helpful to complement the banner with a fact sheet.
Didn't dv7 try to hand out BuzzOut fact sheets at a basketball game and was accused of "soliciting?"

Back