• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Air Banner Message

Didn't dv7 try to hand out BuzzOut fact sheets at a basketball game and was accused of "soliciting?"

A proper tipsheet would be emailed to media prior to the game.

It's actually not hard to do - and would help get publicity. On the Thursday before the game, send a short email to the media who you think will cover this (newspaper, TV, blog, website) with the heads up that a banner will be flying and a bulleted list of reasons why Wellman needs to go.

The more prep work you can do for journalists, the more likely it is to get a story published.

I suggest someone volunteer to write up a draft.

Obviously it's unscientific, but the two polls about Wellman from a passionate portion of the fan who is still here speak volumes. We're looking at good number of diehard fans who changed their mind about Wellman in under 2 years.

Is there any way to get a Wellman fact sheet to some media types in advance of the banner? Anybody writing about this would have no idea how bad things have been under Wellman.

Also keep in mind, the nation is going to find out how bad this guy is during hoops season.

god i hope after getting iona'd by kansas the media makes it a point to remind viewers/readers that it was payback for wellman fining self.

joeyd joined on March 12, 2013. What was going on around March 12th? This board was gearing up for our first newspaper ad.

Methinks we've found a mole.

Joey is hardly a mole. He gave $300 to the news paper ad and is an alumni. His opinion may represent those who are a little bit older than most of the twenty and thirty somethings on here.

Everyone but Wellman is behind firing Buzz. He's like the foot soldier, on the front lines without a gun and yet, we still haven't been able to pick him off yet. Wellman is the General in a underground bunker. He may still have supporters with the over 40 alumni. He is going to be tough. I think Joey is just saying that we shouldn't go after Wellman, when we can't even get Buzz.

Others on here would argue that Wellman has to go before anything changes. It's an interesting debate. I am not sure anyone knows which strategy will eventually work.

Last edited:
You have to cut off the head of the snake, not the tail. Or something like that.

What I'm saying is that we need to cut Ron's head off, like he's a Jewish journalist captured by the Taliban.

Wellman has to go. Would anyone here want him to make the hire if Bz was fired????

Someone who is a good writer needs to volunteer to send the fact sheet to the media before the fball game.

It's actually not hard to do - and would help get publicity. On the Thursday before the game, send a short email to the media who you think will cover this (newspaper, TV, blog, website) with the heads up that a banner will be flying and a bulleted list of reasons why Wellman needs to go.

The more prep work you can do for journalists, the more likely it is to get a story published.

I would volunteer but am traveling this weekend and next week. Here's something I put together for the Greensboro paper a few weeks back. Not sure if someone wants to modify it or maybe even destroy it and start over.

AD no Longer Shares Values of Wake Forest University
I received a tweet from WAKE FOREST CAMPUS LIFE last week that read “Up early and ready to go! Orientation starts off at 9am with Wake Forest: A Tradition of Honor and Integrity.”

I hope Ron Wellman attended the orientation because he has certainly forgotten these values.

For the record, I used to be a Wellman supporter. After all, he has done many wonderful things for Wake Forest Athletics. He hired Jim Grobe and Skip Prosser and has done a tremendous job in improving facilities. Unfortunately, over the last few years, Mr Wellman has demonstrated a pattern of misleading supporters and displaying questionable ethics. In my opinion these actions warrant a change.

I think most local sports fans agree that Ron Wellman should have fired Jeff [Redacted] at the end of last season. After all, in three seasons, he had the worst record of any ACC coach in the past 40 years. What most people don’t realize, is how hypocritical and misleading Ron Wellman has been in his justifications for retaining [Redacted]. When he fired Dino Gaudio after 3 seasons, Mr Wellman cited Gaudio’s lack of post season performance. Flash forward 3 seasons. Jeff [Redacted] has yet to have a winning season, yet Wellman refuses to fire [Redacted]. To justify retaining him, Wellman cites how [Redacted] “Is Changing the Culture of the basketball program” and that freshman played 60% of the team’s minutes. It’s ironic how the culture argument didn’t actually come up until [Redacted] began losing badly. Sure, there were issues with some of Gaudio's players, however, if the culture was so bad when Dino was here, why did Wellman retain Dino's assistants? After all, they recruited the bad kids. Also, why did Wellman try so hard to keep Dino's last recruiting class intact if they were such bad apples? It is true that freshman played a majority of the minutes, however, Wellman failed to mention the 9 players that have transferred in 3 seasons. Had just a few stayed, Wake would have had one of the most experienced teams in the ACC last season.

If the misleading excuses for retaining [Redacted] weren’t bad enough, the news that Ron Wellman has employed Randy Casstevens as the Wake Athletic Department Finance Director for over a year now, should really anger Wake alumni/supporters. If Casstevens sounds familiar it is because he was CFO of Krispy Kreme in 2005, when he and two other executives swindled millions from investors. The three conspired to double ship orders at the end of quarters to artificially inflate the stock price to $40 a share. They then sold over $13 million of their own stock. When the SEC got word and investigated, the stock plunged to $5 a share, leaving employees and investors holding the bag. For his role in the scandal, Casstevens was fined $150,000 by the SEC and lost his SEC license. It’s shocking that he wasn’t criminally charged. After all, Martha Stewart did a whole lot less and went to prison. What is more shocking is that Ron Wellman, who used “culture change” as his reason for retaining [Redacted], hires a man who stole millions from his investors. I guess it is not okay for 18 year basketball players to make youthful mistakes but it is perfectly fine for grown men to swindle millions from his employees and investors.

Wake Forest has a strict honor policy for students. Shouldn’t our Athletics Director abide by the same standards? It is definitely time for change.

http://www.firebz.com/FireBz/WellmanOut.html

"Aerials" by SOAD starts playing in my head every time I open this thread.

Yeah Miami and USC have never done anything in football.

miami cheated and had a huge benefactor in order to establish its rep, prior to the 80s they also sucked. it's also MIAMI, the second capital of the sunshine state, on the beach, with beautiful women in bikinis and a great night life in a region already known for competitive football.

USC i can't speak to but mikedeac89s post (only thing he ever wrote i agreed with) pretty much nails the systemic problems wake faces:

The way people around compare us to this group of schools constantly amaze me.

Endowment: Stanford 17 billion (#4 in the US), Duke 5.5 billion (#15), Vanderbilt 3.4 billion (#22), Northwestern 7.1 billion (#10), Notre Dame 6.3 billion (#13)

Wake $900 million

Enrollment: Stanford 7,063, Duke 6,484, Vanderbilt 6,796, Northwestern 8,000, Notre Dame 8,475.

Wake 4,775

Stanford .596 winning%, 1 National Championship, 14 Conf Champ., 24 bowl games

Duke .486 win%, 17 Conf Champ., 9 bowl games

Vanderbilt .498 win%, 14 Conf Champ, 6 bowl games

Northwestern .442 win%, 8 Conf Champ., 11 bowl games

Notre Dame .733 win%, 13 National Championships, 32 bowl games

Wake .411 win%, 2 Conf Champ., 10 bowl games

Where exactly do we compare to these schools? All of our academic standards are difficult. So I guess we should ask why Emory doesn't have a successful football team?

then you also have to think of all the other prestigious schools out there that don't even field a team. not trying to be LOWF, but like take vanderbilt in '98 (http://www.nytimes.com/1998/12/01/us/vanderbilt-u-receives-a-gift-of-300-million.html)... like miami, vandy benefited from a game changing thing. give wfu 300 million and i bet we could win another ship within 10 years, if the damage hasn't been done too badly already that is.

oh, and also, although i no longer believe the risks outweigh the benefits to firing grobe, it's not surprising wake has fallen back to baseline under his tenure. i don't look at the problem as grobes fault so much as the law of averages. to compete better grobe has tried lots of innovative things, and with some favorable bounces he's done an excellent job (maybe not on actual game day or with his staff picks, but grand strategy and preseason/game prep, scoring good recruits, repping the school, etc. he's been excellent). when innovating and experimenting things are usually more likely to go wrong than right...currently this option experiment to reignite the ground game is falling on its face.

Last edited:
Yeah Miami and USC have never done anything in football.

Elite:
Duke 6655, Stanford 7063, Notre Dame 8475, Northwestern 8600, Vanderbilt 6796, Wake Forest 4815

With almost 20,000 students, USC doesn't really meet the criteria of ELITE. It's bigger than UVa or UNC and twice as many as those mentioned above. It also falls into the 100 years of football reputation and has the advantage of the 2nd largest media market in the country.

I wouldn't classify Miami as elite either academically or on the gridiron. Since joining the ACC in 2004, they have one less ACC Championship than Wake Forest.

Notre Dame is the only elite school in the country with a long term successful football program.

oh and as far as the arguments that the playing field is level and wake can now do better is a fair argument that i hope is true. i just think CONTEXT is very important, as wake is basically in a category of its own in facing limitations that no other D1 school faces.

grobe proved success was possible, but whether it can be sustained is a very different question. reputations die hard.

Last edited:
Subject: TIPSHEET: Aerial banner to call for firing of Wake Forest AD Ron Wellman

Body: On Saturday, if those in attendance at the Wake Forest/NC State game look up, they will see an aerial banner calling for the firing of WF Athletic Director Ron Wellman flying above Groves Stadium. Paid for by Wake Forest alumni and fans, the banner will read "Demand Accountability. Fire Ron Wellman." These fans, tired of historically bad athletic results, questionable hires, and dismissed concerns, have written letters, cut donations, and even rented out a billboard with their message. The aerial banner is the next public show of dissatisfaction.

While under the direction of Ron Wellman, Wake Forest athletics has:

-Finished in last place among ACC teams of the Director's Cup in 20xx, a measure of overall athletic success
-Gone xx-xx (.xxx) in men's basketball over the last 3 years, finishing in xx, xx, and xx place in the ACC.
-Started the 2013 football season at (x-x), including a loss to the University of Louisiana at Monroe
-Consistently dismissed fan concerns and feedback, including banning live calls from the Coaches' Shows.
-Employed a man, who was fined over $100,000 by the SEC for violating accounting laws and fraud, to manage the finances of the Athletic department.
-
-
-

You guys get the idea

Subject: TIPSHEET: Aerial banner to call for firing of Wake Forest AD Ron Wellman

Body: On Saturday, if those in attendance at the Wake Forest/NC State game look up, they will see an aerial banner calling for the firing of WF Athletic Director Ron Wellman flying above Groves Stadium. Paid for by Wake Forest alumni and fans, the banner will read "Demand Accountability. Fire Ron Wellman." These fans, tired of historically bad athletic results, questionable hires, and dismissed concerns, have written letters, cut donations, and even rented out a billboard with their message. The aerial banner is the next public show of dissatisfaction.

-Finished in last place among ACC teams of the Director's Cup in 20xx, a measure of overall athletic success
-Gone xx-xx (.xxx) in men's basketball over the last 3 years, finishing in xx, xx, and xx place in the ACC.
-Started the 2013 football season at (x-x), including a loss to the University of Louisiana at Monroe
-Consistently dismissed fan concerns and feedback, including banning live calls from the Coaches' Shows.
-Employed a man, who was fined over $100,000 by the SEC for violating accounting laws and fraud, to manage the finances of the Athletic department.
-
-
-

You guys get the idea

"Employed a man, who was fined over $100,000 by the SEC for violating accounting laws and fraud, to manage the finances of the Athletic department."

Need to mention Casstevens by name and Company KKD (Krispy Kreme) Will be easier to substantiate...

-
-
-

You guys get the idea

Might want to change that participial phrase so that it doesn't read like Wellman's flying over the stadium :) Otherwise, solid!

-
-
-

You guys get the idea

It would be great if it were true and meaningful. It's not.

Director's Cup measures results in 20 sports: 10 men, 10 women. Wake Forest only fields 16 varsity sports. It would be pretty much impossible not to finish near the bottom without a standout program. We'd be at the bottom every year if not for the back to back field hockey NCs.

La-Monroe beat SEC opponent Arkansas and took Auburn to OT last year. Both losses this season are to top 20 opponents. They will end up probably 8-4. The football team is not historically bad. In fact I believe every player under Coach Grobe has gone to a bowl during his career. That was unheard of prior to Ron Wellman's tenure. Football, if anything, is at a historic high. Historically bad is getting mashed by your 1AA little brother to the west 3 or 4 times in a row like we did in the late 80s, early 90s.

It's actually not that hard to get a $100,000 SEC fine. That also has nothing to do with onfield performance. It's like saying he had an ugly girlfriend in 6th grade. The hire is overqualified for the position he holds.

All the negative feedback he cut off was basketball related. All the issues stem from one single issue, Jeff [Redacted].

Of course he's put on a full court press defending him. He's the Athletic Director! Until the scheduling of the press conference to dismiss [Redacted] it's Wellman's job to defend his coach and his program and give it positive spin. I want [Redacted] gone more than perhaps any one on the planet and have been screaming for his head at MTOW since the Saturday morning after the Stetson loss.

But the last thing on the planet I want to see is an AD who says something to the effect of "Yeah, we suck, but the guy's got x years on his contract so we're stuck with him." I wouldn't want to work for that guy. I wouldn't want to play for his program. I wouldn't want to be associated with his school.

You guys are barking up the wrong tree and you're going to look foolish doing so. Keep your eyes on the prize. The prize, lest you forget, is bringing our basketball program back to the national status it has been for the last 2 decades. The correction to restore order is FIRE [Redacted]!!! Nothing more is necessary, nothing less will work.

Feel free to recalculate the Directors Cup in only the sports we play. We still finish near the bottom.

joey, you're about six months behind the rest of the board. Bz is not the only problem with our athletic department.

Last edited:
Back