• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Would you trade Wake's FBS football status for a guaranteed annual NCAA Tourney bid?

Would you trade NCAA bid annually for FCS status?

• Total voters
Before 2006 I didn't care at all if Wake football was good or not, I just liked going to the games.

Me, too. I was into Wake football long before 2006. We sucked and that's just kind of how it was. Even when we were decent, the prevailing feeling among most die hard Wake fans I knew was that we were a glorified FCS team, anyway. There are plenty on here that have shown me that this was kind of a stupid sentiment, but that's where most townies/natives/etc. were at when I was growing up.

The games were fun because I loved the Deacs and Groves, but I'm not going to lie - I probably enjoyed hanging out with friends than I did the product on the field. Things changed when I went to college in 2005, and we were competitive with just about everybody culminating with the Meineke Car Care Bowl or whatever, but that's not how things were (or, TBH, are)...

I wonder how many non-die hards were in to football prior to coming to Wake, and even among those who went to Wake prior to 2006, if any of them were super into the non-tailgating aspect of football before 2006.

I started at Wake in 2008 and prior to going to college I had missed a total of four home games in my life. My dad has missed only a handful of home games since 1970 when he started law school at Wake. I didn't even think Wake would ever be competitive and I don't think I really cared at all if I remember correctly. I'll have to talk to my dad about what he thought of Wake football before the Grobe era. I would imagine he just enjoyed the Saturdays, the tailgates, and the nice fall weather.

This thread amazes me. WF has played in 4 bowls the last 7 years. It has won an ACC title, and come within a game of making the ACCCG twice more since then. Reading this thread, you would think that WF just finished a 20 year run of 0 and 1 win seasons. Stanford, NW and Vandy (yes Vandy) came close to either winning their BCS conference or making their championship games last year. There is no question that WF has and can compete on a high level at football. Why would WF give up football to make the NCAAs every year, when a decently run basketball program at WF would make the NCAAs essentially every year (see WF basketball 1994 to 2011)? The idea that WF can't be a solid football program in the ACC and be a top 25 basketball program is totally wrong.

As lame as the WF athletic department has been over the last couple of years, the fan base is worse. We are worse than the French.

This thread amazes me. WF has played in 4 bowls the last 7 years. It has won an ACC title, and come within a game of making the ACCCG twice more since then. Reading this thread, you would think that WF just finished a 20 year run of 0 and 1 win seasons. Stanford, NW and Vandy (yes Vandy) came close to either winning their BCS conference or making their championship games last year. There is no question that WF has and can compete on a high level at football. Why would WF give up football to make the NCAAs every year, when a decently run basketball program at WF would make the NCAAs essentially every year (see WF basketball 1994 to 2011)? The idea that WF can't be a solid football program in the ACC and be a top 25 basketball program is totally wrong.

As lame as the WF athletic department has been over the last couple of years, the fan base is worse. We are worse than the French.

That's not really why I asked the question. It has nothing to do with the fact that we can be good at both, I was just gauging the fanbase's interest in the proposition of dropping to FCS in football if it meant guaranteed success in basketball.

ETA: Vandy and Northwestern both finished two games out of the conference championship game in an 8 game season. That's not exactly "close" to winning the conference at all.

Also I'll just put it out there that I don't think I suck as a fan. I'm posting on a Wake message board devoted to Wake sports. I don't think any of us qualify as sucking as fans.

This also presents another interesting poll question: which is worse the athletic department's incompetence and censorship or the fanbase's anger and apathy.

Last edited:
There is no question that WF has and can compete on a high level at football. .... The idea that WF can't be a solid football program in the ACC and be a top 25 basketball program is totally wrong.

Then, why are we no longer competing at a high level in football? Why aren't we a solid football program in the ACC, or top-25 in basketball?

My initial post was that this trade makes sense because half of the fanbase is happy to just field a team in football (i.e. "OUR ENDOWMENT IS TOO SMALL! WE CAN'T RECRUIT WITH THE BIG BOYS! HISTORICAL COMPETITIVENESS! .500 = EXPECTATIONS!), and the leadership in place isn't willing to make personnel moves that would allow us to maximize the potential we do have.

Given this situation, it's an enticing offer. I agree with you that parts of our fanbase suck, but I'm guessing that we have very different ideas about who the problems are...

Are we talking in the future or this year? Wake is better than every single SoCon team right now by at least a touchdown on a neutral field except for Georgia Southern (according to Sagarin through 4 weeks, which will admittedly get more accurate as the season moves on)

:insert Rainman gif here:

And I can't get energized by FCS football. It's minor leagues. It would suck even more having experienced FBS football as well

:insert Rainman gif here:

And I can't get energized by FCS football. It's minor leagues. It would suck even more having experienced FBS football as well

You can get energized by the team that we've thrown on the field the past couple of years?

My girlfriend's parents are lifelong USC fans. They think my Wake football obsession is somewhere between cute, insane, and masochistic. They're there sitting and watching their team on a big HD TV and I'm scowling at my computer screen. (It does amuse me, though, that Haden has a quasi-[Redacted]-esque situation on his hands with the Kiffins.)

I'll take the NCAA tourney bid every year in a heartbeat.

Think I'd go with the NCAA tourney bid as well, and let Wake try to dominate FCS. Having legit playoffs every year to play for would be fun.

We beat unc last year, and I was doing backflips. If we went to the FCS, 'hole fans wouldn't have to even acknowledge our presence, let alone admit our victory. This thread sounds like a Wellman trial balloon.

We beat unc last year, and I was doing backflips.

How did the rest of last year go for you? Unless one can do back flips into cheap bourbon, I didn't really share your experience for 95% of our season...

And f**k 'hole fans. Who cares what they think, admit, or acknowledge? We'll be back to kicking their asses on the court again one of these days. I'm looking forward to that one.

Absolutely not. But I grew up going to FSU games and lived and died with CFB.

How did the rest of last year go for you? Unless one can do back flips into cheap bourbon, I didn't really share your experience for 95% of our season...

And f**k 'hole fans. Who cares what they think, admit, or acknowledge? We'll be back to kicking their asses on the court again one of these days. I'm looking forward to that one.

The single best thing about getting out of North Carolina was getting away from idiotic bandwagon unc fans. Any you see up here at least either went there or have family who did

Without a moments hesitation. Would even disband our football program for that prize.

So essentially we become Georgetown without the basketball history? I realize that's DIII, but if you're willing to go DII, I'm not sure why you would have huge reservations about going DIII. Unless you're really excited about the few D1 games at the beginning of the season. The worst D1 team in a major conference usually gets far more pub than the best DII team. I think I'd pass.

Last edited:
We'd make the tournament every year and lose the first game. The genie is just screwing with you.

So essentially we become Georgetown without the basketball history? I realize that's DIII, but if you're willing to go DII, I'm not sure why you would have huge reservations about going DIII. Unless you're really excited about the few D1 games at the beginning of the season. The worst D1 team in a major conference usually gets far more pub than the best DII team. I think I'd pass.

We'd be dropping down to FCS, not D-3. Huge difference. A much better comparison would be Villanova.

This is the most LOWF thread I've ever seen.

Given that we'll never win a national title in football, and that our absolute best, most awesome accomplishment would be an ACC title (and trip to the Orange Bowl that no one besides us will ever remember), which in the entire 100+ year history of our program has happened twice, I'd actually be cool with dropping to a level where we could compete regularly in a postseason football tournament and perhaps win a national championship, especially if it meant basketball was competing for a national championship every year.

Back