• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Would you trade Wake's FBS football status for a guaranteed annual NCAA Tourney bid?

Would you trade NCAA bid annually for FCS status?

• Total voters
To everyone who answered yes:
qa4sok8

Given that we'll never win a national title in football, and that our absolute best, most awesome accomplishment would be an ACC title (and trip to the Orange Bowl that no one besides us will ever remember), which in the entire 100+ year history of our program has happened twice, I'd actually be cool with dropping to a level where we could compete regularly in a postseason football tournament and perhaps win a national championship, especially if it meant basketball was competing for a national championship every year.

We've only won the ACC in basketball four times, not like its that big of a difference. And the only two since 1962 came courtesy of one of the best basketball players of the last 20 years.

And there's a lot more to both than winning national titles -- particularly so in football's case

Last edited:
We've only won the ACC in basketball four times, not like its that big of a difference. And the only two since 1962 came courtesy of one of the best basketball players of the last 20 years

Does that cut in favor of basketball guaranteed tournament bids or keeping FBS football?

I voted for annual NCAA Tournament bid, but it really shouldn't have to come to that. Our basketball job is a pretty damn good one and it sucks to see it being held hostage by a couple of stooges.

I don't want anyone to get me wrong, I love Wake football. 2006 was a memory I will never forget. I just love college basketball so much more that I would trade football success, or even competitiveness, for annual basketball success.

I voted for the annual NCAA tourney bid, but then realized that we'd have to leave the ACC to make the plan happen. Which means we'd be the Butler or Gonzaga of the south. Or perhaps Memphis. Winning 20+ games a years, but playing blah teams and never really getting a ton of credit.

I change my vote. Being in the ACC pretty much trumps every other consideration for Wake sports.

I voted for the annual NCAA tourney bid, but then realized that we'd have to leave the ACC to make the plan happen. Which means we'd be the Butler or Gonzaga of the south. Or perhaps Memphis. Winning 20+ games a years, but playing blah teams and never really getting a ton of credit.

I change my vote. Being in the ACC pretty much trumps every other consideration for Wake sports.

Memphis plays in the AAC.

Obviously this is a false choice, but yeah basketball is definitely more important to me. If we're making the tournament year in and year out then likely the star are aligning every 3-5 years so that we are a legit national contender. My first season of Wake basketball was that way, and it was a hell of a ride (despite being blown out by a non-Butler Horizon League team in the tourney, but anyway...).

Our current football facilities are probably, best case, midpack of the ACC, but they would be the class of the FCS. The smaller number of scholarships would also help us and frankly would make the team stand out a bit less among the greater student body (I realize I'm dangerously close to the slippery slope of culture change). I think we could realistically be a legitimate contender there as well, which I just don't think will ever be true of the FBS program.

Our nonrevs would probably suffer though since we'd have to be in a lesser conference (probably the A10 or Big East for non-football sports).

I would not do it simply because we'd have to leave the ACC. I'd much rather lose in football, and have non-guaranteed success in basketball while in the ACC rather than being "good" in a midmajor conference (SoCon, etc). It's the ACC thats more important to me than FBS overall.

In the hypothetical I was thinking he was saying we'd be ACC for everything except football. Like Notre Dame except for opposite reasons.

Yeah for the purposes of this question we stay in the ACC in everything else:

"In exchange though, the team moves to the FCS level - we'll say the SoCon - for football. Basketball remains in the ACC."

Yes, the ACC will cut us the same deal as ND just to keep us affiliated. *chortle*

DAMN DUDE. You mean this isn't an actual offer from the ACC? Shit man we should delete this thread then. I really thought I had negotiated us up with my boy Swofford. Total bummer dude...shit sucks.

Why would *anyone* assume that Wake could stay in the ACC as an FCS football school? It automatically disqualifies you from the ACC and to assume otherwise doesn't even make sense in the context of your poll. That's just one reason I voted "I don't care", because the terms of the poll are rather pedestrian for the questionable purpose you intended.

Bump.

After today, I'm convinced that we'd be a mediocre FCS team this year. We weren't even South Carolina State out there.

ALERT: A POST WITH SAGARIN STATISTICS IS FORTHCOMING STOP READING NOW IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE IT.

Wake is 104th in Sagarin, one spot behind Maine, after yesterday's game. We're currently behind the following FCS schools in the rankings: North Dakota State (29th), Northern Iowa (51st), Towson (66th), Eastern Illinois (68th), Eastern Washington (84th), William & Mary (91st), Sam Houston State (92nd), Villanova (93rd), McNeese State (95th), Montana (97th), and Maine (103rd)

I think we're gonna get kicked out of FBS post Grobe anyways, so I'm gonna vote yes.

Back