• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lions Hire Jim Caldwell as Head Coach

Good luck to Coach Caldwell, and would love to see him get his 2nd Super Bowl ring. IMO, he is a major upgrade over Jim Schwartz. Bringing Tressel makes sense as they worked together in Indy. Will be interesting to see how he puts together the staff.

You mean 3rd. He has one from Indy (associate head coach/QB coach) and one from Baltimore (OC).

I think Caldwell may get some "If he could drag Flacco to a Super Bowl, imagine what he could do with Stafford" love.

Truth. There's no Peyton Manning asterisk next to the Ravens Super Bowl season and it should tip the scales of public opinion of whether Caldwell is actually a really good coach. But whether you think he's a good coach, there is no question that he is a good man who reflects positively on Wake Forest and we should applaud, instead of mock, this decision.

:golfclap: This.

Agreed. Anyone remember him making disparaging comments about Wake when he was fired? I don't.

Truth. There's no Peyton Manning asterisk next to the Ravens Super Bowl season and it should tip the scales of public opinion of whether Caldwell is actually a really good coach. But whether you think he's a good coach, there is no question that he is a good man who reflects positively on Wake Forest and we should applaud, instead of mock, this decision.

I'm a Colts fan. Not a good coach.

I am so very sorry, Lions fans.

i don't know why i expected anything better

paraphrasing the old joke, but when i die, i want someone from the lions front office and the tigers bullpen to be pallbearers at my funeral so they can let me down one last time

fuck-this-and-this.gif

Last edited:
things are looking up for the Ravens....

Not so fast my friend. They've already kept Castillo. Let's see who they hire to be OC - whether they hire someone from outside the organization or promote from within. Sounding like there is an internal disconnect.

According to ESPN's Adam Caplan, if Jim Caldwell gets the Lions head coaching job, he could add Jim Tressel to his offensive staff.

Saw where he's likely to take the Ravens former RB & OL coaches (Montgomery & Moeller) and their current DB coach. I know there are mixed feelings here but I hope he does well there and wish him the best. If he stays away from play calling and brings in good coordinators, I think he has a shot.

You mean 3rd. He has one from Indy (associate head coach/QB coach) and one from Baltimore (OC).

I think Caldwell may get some "If he could drag Flacco to a Super Bowl, imagine what he could do with Stafford" love.

Yes, 3rd.

FWIW, as disadvantaged as WF football has been over the last 10 years in facilities and financial commitment, the situation was far worse when Caldwell coached at WF. You know the locker-rooms that everyone whines about now? Caldwell coached WF before they were even renovated. No Deacon Tower. Much more limited budget to hire a staff. Programs like ECU, funded their football program to a much greater degree than WF in those days as there was no big money ACC football contract, and revenue was largely a function of ticket sales. Really think that it's short-sighted to hold Caldwell's record at WF from 1993 to 1999 against him when evaluating how he will do with the Lions from 2014 on. Apples and oranges.

paraphrasing the old joke, but when i die, i want someone from the lions front office and the tigers bullpen to be pallbearers at my funeral so they can let me down one last time

Yeah, Jim Caldwell will be the reason the Lions don't win a Super Bowl. Got nothing to do with the fact that Detroit has a QB that makes Cutler look good...

All the Caldwell haters will be here in a year chiming in about how they called it when the Lions don't win the NFC... or make the playoffs... or whatever the ridiculous threshold will be.

If Caldwell can convince Stafford to stop throwing the football like it's a hotplate, I like his chances of turning the Lions into a playoff contender.

An excerpt from Bill Barnwell's Grantland column from this morning (pre-hire, but still relevant):

The jilted Lions, meanwhile, have reportedly set their sights on Ravens offensive coordinator Jim Caldwell and, in the way that jilted partners often find their way to exes, former Titans head coach Mike Munchak. Neither coach seems like a particularly exciting option. Munchak’s relatively anonymous tenure in Tennessee was built around clichés and platitudes with little backing when Munchak actually needed his team to act like those talking points. Caldwell is a better candidate in some ways, but his career seems to offer little suggestion that he’s a viable head coach.

Caldwell has received glowing endorsements from former Colts colleagues Tony Dungy and Peyton Manning, but he was their handpicked choice to take over for Dungy in 2009, and while the Colts went 14-2 and made it to the Super Bowl during his first year at the helm, things fell apart quickly. Caldwell was a horrific in-game coach, infamously taking a timeout in the following year’s playoff loss to the Jets that beggared belief. The next year, with Manning injured, the Colts fell to 2-14 behind a dismal season from Curtis Painter, leading to Caldwell’s firing after the season. He took over as Baltimore’s offensive coordinator late in the 2012 season and helped lead it to a shocking Super Bowl victory, with the offense — notably, Joe Flacco — taking a huge step forward in the process.

In his first full year at the helm for the Ravens, Caldwell’s offense fell apart; the Ravens were 25th in points scored, 30th in DVOA, and nearly became one of the few teams since the merger to average fewer than 3.0 yards per carry. Flacco, who had put together an astounding 11-touchdown, zero-interception Super Bowl run, threw 22 interceptions in his worst season as a pro. The basis for hiring Caldwell comes down to his two seasons as a head coach with the greatest quarterback in the history of football under center. In a way, he’s not that much different from Whisenhunt, who looked great with Warner and exhibited little else without him. Sure seems like the path to a great head coach travels through finding a great quarterback first.

Easy with the Tigers, that window is still open. I am expecting a couple of titles out of them but before I am let down. For the record, I want the Jerry Jones family to be my pallbearers as they will still be letting Cowboy fans down when I'm 90 (49 now).

Yeah, Jim Caldwell will be the reason the Lions don't win a Super Bowl. Got nothing to do with the fact that Detroit has a QB that makes Cutler look good...

All the Caldwell haters will be here in a year chiming in about how they called it when the Lions don't win the NFC... or make the playoffs... or whatever the ridiculous threshold will be.

so much stupid here

it won't be exclusively his fault, no

i think by all accounts caldwell is a great dude

i don't want him as the head coach of the team i support

i really wanted a slam dunk hire, for once, in the history of the fucking organization, and i got gentleman jim caldwell

again, no idea why i expected anything better; in the lions long history, with 26 head coaches overall, they have had 7 with winning records, so why hire a winner now? the most successful lions coaching tenure since 1972 was interim coach gary moeller going 7-4 to close the 2000 season. everyone else has been below .500.

but i should be counting my blessings as a lions fan

FUCK. THIS. SHIT.

The real question is how quickly Wellman can take credit for finding "a diamond in the rough".

Interesting Grantland column. A few things to note about the Ravens offense collapse this year: a) Ray Rice aged 30 years in the off-season (I know because he was on my fantasy team; he sucked every week; while the line play declined, Rice had no wiggle and no burst and may retire; he was a shell of the player that he had been); b) losing Anquan Boldin and Dennis Pitta were huge; c) Flacco was hurt for the second half of the season; d) the Ravens o-line was depleted and awful. Not saying that Caldwell had nothing to do with the Ravens struggles, just that there were multiple causes and it is too simplistic to blame it all on the OC.

rumored list of candidates who, while better than jim schwartz, reportedly turned down the lions job:

rjkarl
Steed Lobotzke
Matt Doherty
Titus Young
the guys who throw cinder blocks off bridges at cars in detroit and then steal their shit
a sponge
an empty headset

Back