• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lions Hire Jim Caldwell as Head Coach

I'm a lifetime Lions fan and while a sexy hire would have been really exciting I can honestly say the Lions need a coach with integrity. And before I'm bashed about jumping on a culture change bandwagon I would just like to say the Lions make Dino's Wake teams seem like choir boys. That is a locker room that is completely unfocused. Besides, Caldwell can win in that division. The whole division is a mess. And maybe he can coach Stafford up a little bit.

And more to the point... Schwartz was a complete ass. Only Schwartz could make a guy like Harbaugh seem sort of normal.

And 1

I get all that (and agree that JC is one of the classiest men in the business), but do you think Jim Caldwell is the best reasonably available candidate to lead this current Lions' roster to a Super Bowl?

Having integrity is a necessary condition to be hired as an NFL head coach; it isn't -- or shouldn't -- be a sufficient one.

rumored list of candidates who, while better than jim schwartz, reportedly turned down the lions job:

rjkarl
Steed Lobotzke
Matt Doherty
Titus Young
the guys who throw cinder blocks off bridges at cars in detroit and then steal their shit
a sponge
an empty headset

This actually is what was hired. There just happens to be a skull there.

I get all that (and agree that JC is one of the classiest men in the business), but do you think Jim Caldwell is the best reasonably available candidate to lead this current Lions' roster to a Super Bowl?

Having integrity is a necessary condition to be hired as an NFL head coach; it isn't -- or shouldn't -- be a sufficient one.

I'm sure there are better candidates but I don't think it is a bad hire. A lot of people here are rightly jaded on Caldwell because of his performance here. But the guy is respected in the NFL ranks obviously. We'll see what happens.

hard to get past his infamous time-out against the Jets at the end of that playoff game, That was just a different type of stupid clock decision.

He also cost them a game against the Jags in 2010 by using timeouts in a completely boneheaded way

For you Lions fans- how did you become a fan of the Lions? Are you from Michigan? Family connections? Etc?

sadomasochists. surprising that there isn't more overlap between wake and lions fans.

Wow.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m
Detroit Lions are hiring Jim Caldwell as their head coach, per a league source.
Expand

I haven't ready a single response on this email, but I am reminded of a certain comedians' main punch line - "I don't care you are, now that is funny".

If timeouts are his main issue, then just give that job to the OC/DC. Although I don't know what other issues would emerge.

BeHp3AuCEAAgQOp.jpg

remember that one time when chris leak was going to come play quarterback for wake forest? jim caldwell does.

So are we rethinking the whole Caldwell without Manning thing? The last two Super Bowls suggest it may be the other way around.

Caldwell was Manning's head coach when they lost to the Saints....

Oh, and 55 touchdowns this year.

So to sum it up. No.

The Journal re-ran the pic of caldwell at the Basketball game and included this information in the cutline:

Jim Caldwell, a Clemmons resident, attends the Wake Forest University basketball game against Georgia Tech. Caldwell, a former coach of the Deacons football team, was recently named the head coach for the Detroit Lions. Caldwell and his wife, Cheryl, keep a home in Clemmons and say they plan to retire there.

I had no idea he still had a home here.

Good luck to Coach Caldwell, and would love to see him get his 2nd Super Bowl ring. IMO, he is a major upgrade over Jim Schwartz. Bringing Tressel makes sense as they worked together in Indy. Will be interesting to see how he puts together the staff.

Yes, 3rd.

FWIW, as disadvantaged as WF football has been over the last 10 years in facilities and financial commitment, the situation was far worse when Caldwell coached at WF. You know the locker-rooms that everyone whines about now? Caldwell coached WF before they were even renovated. No Deacon Tower. Much more limited budget to hire a staff. Programs like ECU, funded their football program to a much greater degree than WF in those days as there was no big money ACC football contract, and revenue was largely a function of ticket sales. Really think that it's short-sighted to hold Caldwell's record at WF from 1993 to 1999 against him when evaluating how he will do with the Lions from 2014 on. Apples and oranges.

If Caldwell can convince Stafford to stop throwing the football like it's a hotplate, I like his chances of turning the Lions into a playoff contender.

Interesting Grantland column. A few things to note about the Ravens offense collapse this year: a) Ray Rice aged 30 years in the off-season (I know because he was on my fantasy team; he sucked every week; while the line play declined, Rice had no wiggle and no burst and may retire; he was a shell of the player that he had been); b) losing Anquan Boldin and Dennis Pitta were huge; c) Flacco was hurt for the second half of the season; d) the Ravens o-line was depleted and awful. Not saying that Caldwell had nothing to do with the Ravens struggles, just that there were multiple causes and it is too simplistic to blame it all on the OC.

I'm sure there are better candidates but I don't think it is a bad hire. A lot of people here are rightly jaded on Caldwell because of his performance here. But the guy is respected in the NFL ranks obviously. We'll see what happens.

booooooooooooooooooooo

especially pilchard

boooooooooooooooooooo

Back