• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

#FIRE RON WELLMAN

Regardless of the new coach (unless he pulls an elite coach out of thin air), Wellman needs to go. He's caused way too much damage at Wake Forest and cannot be allowed to continue his reign. He got some nice buildings built, but he also presided over the demise of the flagship sport and allowed the football program to squander any momentum for the ACC Championship. Make a DVD for Ron Wellman's time at Wake and call it "Missed Opportunities: The Life and Work of Ronald Wellman."

+1

Not gonna work. Wellman is here until he wants to go. You can scream and moan all you want, but he isn't going anywhere. Scorched earth works for a coach, it doesn't work for a guy with as much tenure and equity in the BOT as Wellman. Besides, you aren't going to get Wellman fired before he hires this coach, and he is going to retire before he hires the next coach, so your whining isn't going to do anything but put negative energy into the program.

Just forget about Wellman. Don't mention him, don't think about him....it will be better for your sanity, and it will allow you to enjoy what is left of Wake Forest basketball.

Who's whining? The only negative energy surrounding our athletic program has its source in the Athletic Department. Noone is calling for scorched earth. I imagine almost everyone here will give the new coach a chance. That doesn't change the fact that Wellman is incompetent and that Wake fans should withhold their financial support until he is gone. If the BOT wants to wait 2-4 years until he retires that's up to them. Hitting them where it hurts might make that decision a little easier for them.

This thread sucks. I despise Wellman, but nobody is firing him, and acting petulant isn't going to change that. Firing Bz was going to happen, so putting the heat on made a lot of sense. At this point everyone knows Wellman isn't going anywhere, so it is not the best look for a school to have their fans calling for firing the AD in the middle of a search for a basketball coach.

I would love it if our athletic department was as interested in preserving our athletic department's reputation in public as you are on a private message board. Yep, a private message board.

I'm Wellman out. I'm certainly not a plant. I just don't think it makes a difference in Wellmans timetable.

But it should. The emperor has no clothes on, but our entire BOTs doesn't realize it.

To all of those who supported the [Redacted] hire and then supported him in years, 2, 3, and 4 and to all those who blindly followed Ron Wellman's self serving arrogance and delusional support for Bzdelk - look where we are now. Not only have we suffered through four agonizingly miserable seasons, but we have also seen our head coaching job diminshed from a highly sought after position, to one we have to "sell" to get an introverted guy with two years of coaching experience.

Ron Wellman's continued employment is making what became a joke these past four years, a travesty that I never thought could happen to the sport I have loved and supported for so long.

I have seen Virginia Tech bring in a new AD, one with no reputation for arrogance, and one with a clear plan to upgrade Virginia Tech basketball. He moved swiftly and effiectively to bring in a high profile, proven head coach, in spite of a lack of facilites and a lack of tradition. Compare that to the difficulty Ron Wellman is having in hiring a proven, high-profile coach, in spite of the the traditions and facilities that have embodied Wake Forest basketball for so long.

To all of those who supported the [Redacted] hire and then supported him in years, 2, 3, and 4 and to all those who blindly followed Ron Wellman's self serving arrogance and delusional support for Bzdelk - look where we are now. Not only have we suffered through four agonizingly miserable seasons, but we have also seen our head coaching job diminshed from a highly sought after position, to one we have to "sell" to get an introverted guy with two years of coaching experience.

Ron Wellman's continued employment is making what became a joke these past four years, a travesty that I never thought could happen to the sport I have loved and supported for so long.

I have seen Virginia Tech bring in a new AD, one with no reputation for arrogance, and one with a clear plan to upgrade Virginia Tech basketball. He moved swiftly and effiectively to bring in a high profile, proven head coach, in spite of a lack of facilites and a lack of tradition. Compare that to the difficulty Ron Wellman is having in hiring a proven, high-profile coach, in spite of the the traditions and facilities that have embodied Wake Forest basketball for so long.

The truth is that Danny Manning falls well within the range of past head coach hirings at Wake. We were all hoping for Shaka/Marshall but those would have been true home run hires the likes of which we have never witnessed at Wake. Skip is probably are most high profile hire of all time, and he didn't have near the profile that Shaka/Marshall has.

I can go with Wellman Out simply for the disaster that was [Redacted], but Manning shouldn't fall into that category. If MAnning rebuffs our offer it is a different story. At that point we are looking continued gross incompetence. But if Wellman lands Manning, I think he has done his job. He hasn't wowed us, but he has hired a reasonable coach with reasonable upside. He might not be your first choice, but there is a lot to like about Manning.

None of this excuses Wellman, or makes me like him. I just know that he is not going anywhere until he wants to go. I don't care how much money small donors hold back. He is so close to the end of his career that it truly does not matter what we say about him. So I implore the board to stop ruining their Wake Forest Sports Lives scheming to rid themselves of Wellman by hamstringing basketball and football donations. This is a completely different scenario than BzOut. We could effect change with [Redacted], which made the scorched earth worth the pain. There is no such hope with Wellman.

This is so true and so very sad.

The truth is that Danny Manning falls well within the range of past head coach hirings at Wake. We were all hoping for Shaka/Marshall but those would have been true home run hires the likes of which we have never witnessed at Wake. Skip is probably are most high profile hire of all time, and he didn't have near the profile that Shaka/Marshall has.

I can go with Wellman Out simply for the disaster that was [Redacted], but Manning shouldn't fall into that category. If MAnning rebuffs our offer it is a different story. At that point we are looking continued gross incompetence. But if Wellman lands Manning, I think he has done his job. He hasn't wowed us, but he has hired a reasonable coach with reasonable upside. He might not be your first choice, but there is a lot to like about Manning.

None of this excuses Wellman, or makes me like him. I just know that he is not going anywhere until he wants to go. I don't care how much money small donors hold back. He is so close to the end of his career that it truly does not matter what we say about him. So I implore the board to stop ruining their Wake Forest Sports Lives scheming to rid themselves of Wellman by hamstringing basketball and football donations. This is a completely different scenario than BzOut. We could effect change with [Redacted], which made the scorched earth worth the pain. There is no such hope with Wellman.

The short version:

Shut up, kiss the ring, and understand your destiny as a Wake fan. Oh, and embrace sucking.

What have I missed here?

I don't think Wellman has anything to do with our future excellence. He is going to make this hire. There is nothing we can do. He will not make the next hire in football or basketball. Thus after this hire he is effectively neutered. There is no kiss the ring. Wellman absolutely deserves to be fired. But he won't, and whining isn't going to change that. Whining isn't going to change our hire (other than possibly damage momentum when a potential hire comes to see what the general mood of the fans are towards the possibility of their employment).

If you think Manning hasn't had someone check out these boards, or hasn't browsed them himself you are an idiot. Time to #ManUp. A Manning rejection is far more damaging to our brand at this point than anything else. We should be welcoming him with open arms. We should be ignoring Wellman.

I don't think Wellman has anything to do with our future excellence. He is going to make this hire. There is nothing we can do. He will not make the next hire in football or basketball. Thus after this hire he is effectively neutered. There is no kiss the ring. Wellman absolutely deserves to be fired. But he won't, and whining isn't going to change that. Whining isn't going to change our hire (other than possibly damage momentum when a potential hire comes to see what the general mood of the fans are towards the possibility of their employment).

If you think Manning hasn't had someone check out these boards, or hasn't browsed them himself you are an idiot. Time to #ManUp. A Manning rejection is far more damaging to our brand at this point than anything else. We should be welcoming him with open arms. We should be ignoring Wellman.

Oh NO! Good thing Kansas and other big schools don't have a sports board. Can you imagine? Hell, no one would be employed if they did!

A Manning rejection is final confirmation we have one hell of a mess and the assclown we call an AD needs to be fired. This has nothing to do with message boards.

Last edited:
Well I feel the same as I did on April 3, 2014. Not surprised.

Who's whining? The only negative energy surrounding our athletic program has its source in the Athletic Department. Noone is calling for scorched earth. I imagine almost everyone here will give the new coach a chance. That doesn't change the fact that Wellman is incompetent and that Wake fans should withhold their financial support until he is gone. If the BOT wants to wait 2-4 years until he retires that's up to them. Hitting them where it hurts might make that decision a little easier for them.

Here's the thing - nothing is left of the program. Wellman destroyed it and needs to be held accountable. Turning a blind eye is the worst advice in the world and is what led to the decimation of Wake Forest athletics - its (ignoring Wellman's gross incompetencies) the strategy Hatch and the BOT have employed and it has failed miserably

Last edited:
Back