• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Will the Manning Hire Be a Success or a failure?

We can look back in 4 years

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You have to define the terms. I do not think Manning will bring Wake Forest back to a top third program in the ACC. There is not enough evidence to suggest whether he knows how to build a program, coach a team, or recruit talent. Everything is conjecture based on his playing career. So everyone is just guessing, really. I would say there are very few coaches that can recruit and coach at a level to be competitive regularly against programs like we have in the ACC. Since Manning doesn't really have much experience as a coach (lead assistant coach, lead recruiter, or head coach), it is an epic leap of faith to believe he will be successful in the ACC.

I vote "gailure" as I think it's unlikely that we are among the top third to half teams in the conference when Manning leaves.

Holy crap, I can't believe this poll is overwhelmingly "success." I'm not being a hater. I would like to hear from some of the "success" voters what leads you to this conclusion, other than hunches. Is it just optimism? Do you think Danny Manning is going to have Wake Forest performing at the level we had for the 20 years prior to [Redacted]? That was 14 trips to the NCAAs, etc., etc.

Back in the day, Manning appeared to be going to NCSU. Then Larry Brown hired his father as an asst. coach, and Danny was heading to Kansas. He knows first hand the nuance of recruiting.

Back in the day, Manning appeared to be going to NCSU. Then Larry Brown hired his father as an asst. coach, and Danny was heading to Kansas. He knows first hand the nuance of recruiting.

Some people have suggested Dean Smith worked that deal with Brown and Ed Manning to keep Danny away from NCSU. Whatever the details, I think it is wise to leave an assistant coach opening just in case...

I think we will be looking for a new coach in 3-4 years, but I think it is because Manning will move on to another position. He'll do well enough to get us back in the tournament by year 3 (hopefully sooner, but the huge junior class is an issue) and someone else will come calling for him not long after. Surprised you didn't make it public, though.

The only place I would ever fear him moving is Kansas. He's not going to go to another ACC school.

The only place I would ever fear him moving is Kansas. He's not going to go to another ACC school.

If he gets hired away by Kansas then we will have just had one of the best runs in Wake Forest basketball history. (And will have a much easier time hiring a new coach...)

Holy crap, I can't believe this poll is overwhelmingly "success." I'm not being a hater. I would like to hear from some of the "success" voters what leads you to this conclusion, other than hunches. Is it just optimism? Do you think Danny Manning is going to have Wake Forest performing at the level we had for the 20 years prior to [name redacted]? That was 14 trips to the NCAAs, etc., etc.

And by failure I mean Wake is looking for a new coach in 3 or 4 years because the team is mired in meh and it's obvious Manning can't coach in the ACC.

MM defined what failure was in post 1. Success would mean better than that.

RJ, and some of you others who were all in for Manning, why no vote?

I just saw the thread. Jesus.

As to "all in", the person Iwas "all in" for was Shaka. After Shaka and Marshall, it came down to Archie and Manning (that's kind of funny).

BSF unlike you, I actually know people who know Howland, who know what was going on here in my backyard.

Holy crap, I can't believe this poll is overwhelmingly "success." I'm not being a hater. I would like to hear from some of the "success" voters what leads you to this conclusion, other than hunches. Is it just optimism? Do you think Danny Manning is going to have Wake Forest performing at the level we had for the 20 years prior to [Redacted]? That was 14 trips to the NCAAs, etc., etc.

I do believe he has as much chance to do that as anyone out there other than Shaka and Marshall.

MM defined what failure was in post 1. Success would mean better than that.

Oops, somehow missed that. I think success should be based on our history prior to Bzelik. I don't see Manning reaching/surpassing that.

Depends on the metric too. His overall win/loss record might not be as good, but since we have only been to one sweet 16 since 96, one nice tourney run would top our tourney success.

Oops, somehow missed that. I think success should be based on our history prior to Bzelik. I don't see Manning reaching/surpassing that.

If he gets hired away by Kansas then we will have just had one of the best runs in Wake Forest basketball history. (And will have a much easier time hiring a new coach...)

This. If Manning is bandied about as a candidate for the mother effing Kansas job in 3-4 years then we will be a group of very, very happy basketball fans.

Fine, but why do you think that? I'm just curious.

I am making an assumption that he's personable enough to recruit. If he is, he's got a great story to tell top players. Combine his life story with Tim, Josh, CP3 and other current NBA players and we have a great shot to get them.

While we can't be 100% sure he's a top HC yet, his ability to be an excellent big man's coach is extremely evident by the guys from KU in the NBA. They were all prepared to play.

This year's Tulsa team won its conference championship after tying for the regular season title. It's not the ACC, but it shows he can win.

His personal story is that of bball lifer. He grew up in the game. He was a superstar. He played for many HOFers and actually listened to them. He was also will to start at the bottom. He did the dirty work. Then rose due to paying his dues.

I originally liked Howland, but then I talked to a lot of people around here. Remember the Wears are from HB. I came to believe he would have destroyed our program. He is radio active right now.

Obviously I wanted Shaka. Marshall was a second guy, but I described why I didn't think he'd even listen.

Marshall is still the Wichita lineman for a reason . Jerk .

since it seems like many want people on the record for this hire, count me in on the side of Danny Manning. Not a HR but there was not a HR to be had at this time and situation for Wake Forest.

Danny Manning will be a good fit at Wake Forest and do well here. A good press conference next week and saying the right things this weekends would really get things rolling.

Back