• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Will the Manning Hire Be a Success or a failure?

We can look back in 4 years

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
given this is the first time Gable, caturday and I have ever been on the same page, I hereby declare a TRUCE.

waving-white-flag.gif

henceforth, all future cocaine, deer, toupee and bald tags are the property of BigEastDeac.

I know that hope springs eternal for Wake fans (otherwise they would have left long ago) but Manning does have a good many things going for him.

Marshall is still the Wichita lineman for a reason . Jerk .

I think Wake paying that jerk $2+ million to coach here would've been a much wiser investment. But hey, 90% of the board thinks Manning will be a success here. You can't expect more agreement than that.

I certainly think we make the NCAA Tournament in two years, and will be on the bubble next year.

Not really anything to do with Manning in particular, but just because of the breakdown of our team.

The biggest indicator will be what we are like in year three.

There gets to be a point to where you sound like a fucking idiot....

They better bring their checkbook. I think this likelihood is low without some sort of whopper success that would attract possible elite program attention.

I see what you did here. If he has some sort of whopper success maybe he will be a big king. Hope he dosn't turn out to be a whopper jr.

Good to see that Philly took time from burying decapitated male prostitutes under his floorboards to cast a vote.

I am making an assumption that he's personable enough to recruit. If he is, he's got a great story to tell top players. Combine his life story with Tim, Josh, CP3 and other current NBA players and we have a great shot to get them.

While we can't be 100% sure he's a top HC yet, his ability to be an excellent big man's coach is extremely evident by the guys from KU in the NBA. They were all prepared to play.

This year's Tulsa team won its conference championship after tying for the regular season title. It's not the ACC, but it shows he can win.

His personal story is that of bball lifer. He grew up in the game. He was a superstar. He played for many HOFers and actually listened to them. He was also will to start at the bottom. He did the dirty work. Then rose due to paying his dues.

I originally liked Howland, but then I talked to a lot of people around here. Remember the Wears are from HB. I came to believe he would have destroyed our program. He is radio active right now.

Obviously I wanted Shaka. Marshall was a second guy, but I described why I didn't think he'd even listen.
This.

I think Wake paying that jerk $2+ million to coach here would've been a much wiser investment. But hey, 90% of the board thinks Manning will be a success here. You can't expect more agreement than that.

Every part of this. So Gregg Marshall is a jerk for not accepting the Wake job he was not offered? That's a level of ignorance even jaybone wouldn't attempt to articulate.

I certainly think we make the NCAA Tournament in two years, and will be on the bubble next year.

Not really anything to do with Manning in particular, but just because of the breakdown of our team.

The biggest indicator will be what we are like in year three.

Barring signing a dead-eye three point shooter or a tough big 5th year guy, thinking we can be on the bubble is asking a lot for next year.

Marshall is still the Wichita lineman for a reason . Jerk .

Marshall is making close to $2M at Wichita and owns the city. He's got a job for life if he doesn't screw up royally. We would have had to pay him over $3M to consider Wake. Plus he has less experience in recruiting top talent than Manning does.

Marshall is a really game coach on his level and was my second choice. however, his success wasn't guaranteed. Unlike Shaka, Archie and Manning, Marshall has never been involved with a BCS conference program.

This poll shows just how awful [Redacted] was. We just hired a coach with two year head coaching experience at Tulsa with rather average results. His biggest upside is that he might be a good recruiter but there's not evidence that he will be. If he does recruit well there's no evidence he can hold the team together and in game coach....which is what everyone blasts Dino for. But 90% of the boards believes Danny Manning will be succesful. Apparently [Redacted] was the worst coach in college basketball history as it doesnt take much to appease the "fanatics" on this board.

Holy crap, I can't believe this poll is overwhelmingly "success." I'm not being a hater. I would like to hear from some of the "success" voters what leads you to this conclusion, other than hunches. Is it just optimism? Do you think Danny Manning is going to have Wake Forest performing at the level we had for the 20 years prior to [Redacted]? That was 14 trips to the NCAAs, etc., etc.

The Wake Forest fan experience is about emotional devastation. If we start out realistic, we don't have as far to fall.

His results at Tulsa weren't average. He was predicted at the bottom of CUSA in year 1 and by year 2 was the conference champion.

Limited, but certainly not average.

The Wake Forest fan experience is about emotional devastation. If we start out realistic, we don't have as far to fall.

No, I don't think it's that. It's partly the lack of poll options and partly good reason for optimism. Do I think Danny is more likely than not to be successful here? Yes. Was he as good a hire on paper as Buzz Williams was for VT? No. Was he as good a hire as Smart, Marshall and Miller would have been? Most likely not.

But his name and pedigree lend him a quality that other up and coming coaches don't have - instant name recognition and buzz. Look at it this way. Dude is rich and doesn't need to do this for a living. He could have most any fluff job he wants or he could still be sitting on Self's bench helping out there. So why take the chance at his age that he could fail at something for probably the 1st time in his life? It must be because he still wants more, and he still has those competitive juices running through his veins. And he already easily won the negotiating battle with Ron. So give him a couple of good recruiting assistants, and I think he has a good shot at bringing us back to where we should be - in the top third of the conference. I'm not wildly optimistic like some folks here and on TOB appear to be and think that we're going to overtake Dick and UNC on a regular basis. And I still think Ron effed up the hiring process in multiple ways and probably could have gotten a Marshall or Miller had he played it better. But yes, I think there is easily better than a 50/50 shot that Danny is a success here.

I am not sure why my comment was taken seriously. I don't think we intentionally try to set ourselves up for failure or emotional instability. We do it, but it isn't intentional.

I recognize the risk here, but I am excited to see if Manning can bring in top level talent and be the one.

Back