• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Will the Manning Hire Be a Success or a failure?

We can look back in 4 years

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No one can feel really good about Manning at this point. We just loss 7 straight. Unlike [Redacted] who I felt we should have never hired, I understood the logic behind hiring Manning, and thought he was a good hire based on our circumstances. Time will tell whether the hire pays off. He wasn't a slam dunk hire by any means. Two years of head coaching experience means you are taking some risk. I still feel long term the Manning hire will have been a good one for Wake, and I do think we need to give him a full 5 years to develop his brand. There are positive and negative signs at this point. Hopefully we start to turn it around soon.

The template for these things is relatively clear.

The first year is usually the so-called rebuilding year. There's a reason a change was made and the initial season often is a loser or at best .500. The first REAL recruiting class ( '16 ) has to be very good - not great but very good. So far, Manning's first class looks good - not very good.

The second year has to show obvious progress with maybe an NIT bid. The second recruiting class ( '17 ) MUST - at a minimum - be very good again OR preferably excellent - not outstanding but preferably excellent. This season was BEYOND expectations thru 12-13 games but has suddenly collapsed. Manning's second recruiting class falls far below very good and nowhere near excellent.

So IMO, Manning is behind the curve right now. He might somehow salvage this season but the 2017 recruiting class is booked.

So just to clarify is post season still the measure for this team? I'm not saying it ever should have been but just pointing out how ridiculous people on this board are. Now it is wait a little longer and see. Later it will be its not working out but there were reasons to believe it would. Truth is this was a long shot hire necessitated by terrible leadership. Lulz at the 87%.

No one can feel really good about Manning at this point. We just loss 7 straight. Unlike [name redacted] who I felt we should have never hired, I understood the logic behind hiring Manning, and thought he was a good hire based on our circumstances. Time will tell whether the hire pays off. He wasn't a slam dunk hire by any means. Two years of head coaching experience means you are taking some risk. I still feel long term the Manning hire will have been a good one for Wake, and I do think we need to give him a full 5 years to develop his brand. There are positive and negative signs at this point. Hopefully we start to turn it around soon.

Whoa, this is no place for rational, reasonable posts.

Really think this staff needs an experienced assistant with prior HC experience. Danny is a young, inexperienced coach, and so is his entire staff.

Really think this staff needs an experienced assistant with prior HC experience. Danny is a young, inexperienced coach, and so is his entire staff.

Odom might be available. Just get him to coach the games and the others can do the recruiting and stuff.

I've heard that the players don't have/show a lot of respect for any coach other than Manning.

So that's fun.

The staff also needs an assistant who is a really good recruiter. And somebody who is good at teaching fundamentals. So...

I'd rather just have an experienced, successful HC.

Odom might be available. Just get him to coach the games and the others can do the recruiting and stuff.

Yes! And do everyone a favor by getting him off TV!

Although he's all-world in comparison to Cremins.

Back