• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Spurs Game Thread

A truly amazing part of that is the Spurs players and coaches have been willing to change styles as needed. This doesn't happen very often. It happens even less with all time great coaches and Hall of Fame Players. This is one of the great legacies of the Spurs.

Have we talked about the Spurs defense on here?

Anyone who says the NBA doesn't play defense has never watched the Spurs play obviously.

The Spurs play great defense!

When you think about it, Duncan is playing at a higher level at 38 than Jordan did (he was retired), and even when he came back he wasn't playing for a contender. Jordan had flash and commercials, but you could definitely make the case for a Duncan > Jordan, at least as a playoff player.

As a playoff player post-prime? Yes. Entire career? No.

Anyone who says the NBA doesn't play defense has never watched the Spurs play obviously.

I think BKF was talking about how impressed he's been with the sound fundamentals and excellent defense showcased in the NBA playoffs.

but you could definitely make the case for a Duncan > Jordan, at least as a playoff player.

At age 38 when Jordan wasn't playing? Sure. For a career? It's not even close. Jordan was absolutely dominate in the playoffs.

At age 38 when Jordan wasn't playing? Sure. For a career? It's not even close. Jordan was absolutely dominate in the playoffs.

Jordan didn't even make the playoffs with the Wizards. Two years of losing basketball.

Jordan didn't even make the playoffs with the Wizards. Two years of losing basketball.

PLus Jordan was a very "me first" player whereas Duncan is all about the Spurs and doing things the right way and defense and rebounds.

So, to clarify, you're only comparing Duncan now to Jordan at the Wizards? In that case, fine, Duncan is the better playoffs player. :rock:

Jordan also struggled at the beginning of his career. That unbeaten Finals record only happened because he couldn't get through the Pistons until they became old and broken. Timmy, on the other hand, showed up to the NBA and started winning titles right away

Jordan also struggled at the beginning of his career. That unbeaten Finals record only happened because he couldn't get through the Pistons until they became old and broken. Timmy, on the other hand, showed up to the NBA and started winning titles right away

673999bbc8793fc22e11ce0229115dd1-tim-duncan-deal-with-it.gif

One down, three to go. I do believe the Spurs have the Thunder's undivided attention.

Tim still has it. Simply abused the backups OKC had to throw at him. If the Spurs weren't so balanced, he could have scored 45. I am guessing they just completely overlooked the Mavs (only way to explain that going 7 games), but they are all business now.

SPURS have won 10 straight opening games in the playoffs now, best since the run the 96-98 Bulls had but I personally think this team has more fundamentals and so I like them better.

When you think about it, Duncan is playing at a higher level at 38 than Jordan did (he was retired), and even when he came back he wasn't playing for a contender. Jordan had flash and commercials, but you could definitely make the case for a Duncan > Jordan, at least as a playoff player.

A truly amazing part of that is the Spurs players and coaches have been willing to change styles as needed. This doesn't happen very often. It happens even less with all time great coaches and Hall of Fame Players. This is one of the great legacies of the Spurs.

Fellas, fellas, fellas, HELL of a win last night! Even though the officials were robbing Duncan at every turn we found a way to put the pedal to the metal in the fourth quarter for the win. Did you see the look on Duncan's face when they called those fouls on him? I was watching the game with Deac83 and I yelled at the TV, I can't believe it either!

It's good to be surrounded by such fans like I've encountered on this board. Heck, I even got positive reputation points (whatever that means LOL) from a poster who I haven't even seen post. Deacfreke2 or something like that. Anyhoo, it's good to see that even the lurkers on this board know a thing or two about basketball.

I think Brooks needs to go back to the big lineup and hope Duncan doesn't go off like it did in the 1st half. I think that's a better bet than hoping the Spurs bench is just flat playing small ball.

They have to more out of their bigs to do any damage this series.

If you take into account EVERYTHING, playoffs Duncan is clearly > playoffs Jordan. Flu game you might say? He was hungover (which also shows you what kind of guy MJ was off the court). He doesn't get extra credit for that. Duncan never had anyone as good as prime Pippen on any of his teams. David Robinson was a great player and outstanding Christian man but Tim caught him at the end of his career.

And Tim's lack of rampant gambling, womanizing, and bullying team mates has to count for something... although most regular hip hop NBA fans probably like Jordan even more for those things.

EVERYTHING includes the context that Jordan was a scumbag (that still counts for something in my book) in a MUCH weaker NBA that had the help of a prime Scottie Pippen who would by far be the 3rd best player in the NBA today.

What is it you guys post on here? #donksity?

prime Tony and prime Manu and possibly prime Leonard are all roughly as good as Pippen. Even if you argue they aren't, there have always been more of them. Jordan won with this guy:

perdue.jpg

and this guy:

bill-wennington-celebrate.jpg

Everyone is in love with Paul George right? Take Paul George and improve everything and you have Scottie Pippen in his prime.

So, the argument is that Jordan had Pippen which made it easier to win games? Despite Pippen, who could also score and take some of the load, Jordan STILL dominated in the playoffs. He was a playoffs machine.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/05/lebron-james-michael-jordan-playoffs-stats
In total, LeBron has scored at least 45 points in the playoffs on seven different occasions. He joins Michael Jordan, Wilt Chamberlain and Allen Iverson as the only NBA players to score 45+ points in the postseason at least seven times.

mj.gif

Jordan played in 179 playoff games, the most of anyone on this list. Chamberlain played in 160 playoff games, Iverson played in 71 playoff games and James has played in 146 playoff games.

LeBron is playing in his ninth postseason. Jordan, who ultimately played in 13 playoffs, had seven 45-point games by his fifth postseason. This just puts into perspective how dominant Jordan was when it came playoff time.

Last edited:
Back