• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2014-15 Charlotte Hornets Thread

Not at 9 doe... we might get him at 24 but again he can't shoot so he's like a MKG copy.

Nah, he's late 1st. Semaj Christon at 45 for the Hornets. Backup PG.

OR patric young!

Patric+Young+Florida+v+Arkansas+GyvSVtcknszl.jpg

Yeah but who do you take at 9 if we keep the pick? if no one drops, it's gotta be McDermott, Stauskas, Harris, or ... that's it really.

Payton? (But he can't shoot.) LaVine? (Won't be ready for like 5 years, if ever). Young? (A scout described him as JR Smith 2.0, which is, uh, not good). Payne? (He's freaking 24). Jusuf Nurkic? (I mean, please). Saric? (Get your Turkish powerhouse Anadolu Efes jerseys!)

Unless we slide around in the draft, you're looking at one of those three shooters at 9. And honestly, I can be talked into any of the three. If you can't get into those guys, then you better push for a trade back, trade up, or a veteran acquisition, otherwise we'll be taking a major reach.

yeah maybe out of all those guys i'd take stauskus i guess

And I'd LOVE to get Smart, personally. I'm not sold on Kemba as a longterm answer, not until he shoots better than 39%. Next season they could play Smart alongside Kemba to close out games, then have a bit of leverage/insurance when extension talks begin. They need a backup PG anyway, so nabbing Smart if he falls seems obvious to me. Get the shooter later with the 24th pick.

Get Smart. The campaign writes itself.

YES

marcus smart to my HORNETS

let's do this

I don't think the Hornets worked out Marcus Smart. Maybe they don't think they have a chance at him. He isn't below 8 in a half dozen mock drafts I've seen except for Jalen and Bill Simmons' podcast mock.

Why are you all so scared of Dougie McBuckets? Adam Morrison-trauma?

Why are you all so scared of Dougie McBuckets? Adam Morrison-trauma?

This plus I don't want to watch him get abused by literally every SF in the league. If the Hornets were a small ball team he'd be a great four but I do not think he's a starting three in the NBA. I'd much rather take Stauskas or Harris or trade the pick for Afflallo.

Clifford mentioned several times that the lesson other teams can draw from this season’s playoffs is size counts for plenty in terms of who advances and ultimately wins the title.

“With (NBA champion) San Antonio, one of the reasons they got back to the top is they knew they needed more size along the perimeter. So they went out and got (6-foot-7 small forward) Kawhi Leonard,” Clifford said recently.

“At the end of the day, (the NBA) is still a matchup league. It’s different from college, which is more five-man basketball. In the playoffs, you’re going to go at matchups. You’ve got to have guys (big enough to) get their own shots and guys to make it hard on those guys.”

This is not a new approach, so much as an amplification of what Clifford said before training camp last fall. At a media luncheon during September, Clifford was asked if he’d go small in his lineup much. He joked in reply that going small in the NBA is fine “unless you want to win.”

“The going-small thing will win you a game here or there, but you’re going nowhere,” Clifford said this spring. “If you’re trying to build a team game for the playoffs, why do it?”

From Michigan’s Nik Stauskas to North Carolina’s P.J. Hairston to Syracuse’s Jerami Grant, Clifford made a habit of praising “true NBA size” as a factor in these draft decisions. Grant is a good example: He’s 6-8 and will have a challenge transitioning from college power forward to NBA small forward. But he has a wingspan in excess of 7 feet, which caught Clifford’s attention.

“It shows up on defense in helping with your wingspan,” Clifford said. “You get to (late rounds of the playoffs) and they’re taking away your plays. That’s when size becomes critical – size and quickness.”

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/06/23/4999517/hornets-coach-steve-cliffords.html#storylink=cpy

Rumors on Twitter today saying Miami and Chicago both talking to Sacramento about acquiring the #8 pick to take McDermott. So he might not even be there for us at 9.

Rumors on Twitter today saying Miami and Chicago both talking to Sacramento about acquiring the #8 pick to take McDermott. So he might not even be there for us at 9.

BUT HE'S WHITE.

I was sure the Hornets were the only team that would have taken him in the top 20.

What does Miami have that's worth the #8 pick?

BUT HE'S WHITE.

I was sure the Hornets were the only team that would have taken him in the top 20.

This says two things though:

1) Other teams like McBuckets
2) The Hornets front office are morons for advertising their decision (assuming McBuckets is the target at #9)

Back