• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2014-15 Charlotte Hornets Thread

realistically... could see my hornets getting deng or stephenson

What is the opinion on MKG in the future starting lineup? Can you surround him with shooters, or is he too big of a liability and needs to come off the bench?

I think what's most concerning is that his shooting form seems to be getting worse

This year will tell a lot about MKG. He had a decent series against Miami...if he can build on that, attack the basket more (since his jumpshot is lolbad), he could be a solid player. Otherwise, Dougie McBuckets will be taking that starting spot.

What is the opinion on MKG in the future starting lineup? Can you surround him with shooters, or is he too big of a liability and needs to come off the bench?

It's tough to surround him with shooters when he occupies a prime shooting position on the floor. When he is in the lineup it forces you to have both a scoring 4 and 5, which very few teams have, and are obviously much tougher to find than a scoring 3. If you got Kevin Love, then yeah MKG makes sense. But he doesn't make sense with McBob or (at least at this point) Zeller.

Zach Lowe with a long article on Lance and his possible suitors. I don't really agree with his take on the fit though, he says Hendo can't shoot from deep but neither can Lance:

The Best Possibilities

Charlotte Hornets: Michael Jordan is talking big, and the Bobcats have money to spend. Gerald Henderson and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist are nice players, but MKG is in the midst of a full-blown shot reconstruction, and Henderson can’t reliably shoot from deep or create off the bounce.

Stephenson would provide some juice for an offense that needs it, as well as ensure that Kemba Walker isn’t overburdened. He just spent four years learning a defensive system that isn’t much different from what Steve Clifford runs. Charlotte got a taste of winning, and they’re hungry for more.

Without looking at stats, I would think Henderson is as good or better 3pt shooter than Stephenson. That said, I think a rotation of Stephenson, MKG, and Henderson would be a strong 2-3 rotation, especially defensively. I think you'd still need somebody like Novak or Bonner to shoot from the 4 spot.

Is Lance Stephenson really the marque free agent that you want to build your team around? Does he do anything to make the Hornets ceiling higher than a 6 seed in the horrible, horrible East?

It's tough to surround him with shooters when he occupies a prime shooting position on the floor. When he is in the lineup it forces you to have both a scoring 4 and 5, which very few teams have, and are obviously much tougher to find than a scoring 3. If you got Kevin Love, then yeah MKG makes sense. But he doesn't make sense with McBob or (at least at this point) Zeller.

He and Zeller dont fit well together on the court, but doesnt that mean that the Hornets will eventually have to pick one of the two?

Rick Bonnell @rick_bonnell · 1h
Hornets assistant Mark Price at workout. He's reportedly headed to Cleveland to interview with Cavs.

Is Lance Stephenson really the marque free agent that you want to build your team around? Does he do anything to make the Hornets ceiling higher than a 6 seed in the horrible, horrible East?

He's not a max guy but with a good draft (lol) + Stephenson, I could see the Hornets potentially snagging a 3 or 4 seed.

Is Henderson the worst shooting two guard in the league? I guess he can sort of play the 2/3 position that melds together, but he's horrible at shooting.

Is Henderson the worst shooting two guard in the league? I guess he can sort of play the 2/3 position that melds together, but he's horrible at shooting.

He's not as horrible about 8" inside the 3 point line. He's just an offensive black hole though.

He's not as horrible about 8" inside the 3 point line. He's just an offensive black hole though.

Yeah I was primarily thinking three point percentage has to be horrible. He's not bad at all on the mid-range jumpers.

If we can add Lance and have a decent draft I agree that this team is a 3-5 seed in the East next year.

He and Zeller dont fit well together on the court, but doesnt that mean that the Hornets will eventually have to pick one of the two?

At this point, if both of them are starters then the team probably sucks. So we're more than likely looking at one starter and one backup, so their compatability I don't think ever becomes a huge issue.

At this point, if both of them are starters then the team probably sucks. So we're more than likely looking at one starter and one backup, so their compatability I don't think ever becomes a huge issue.

Yep, you don't have a 2, 3, or 4 worth making decisions around. Get good players that fit the system and shuffle your legacy players as needed.

Marc Spears of Yahoo released his mock draft based on rumblings he's hearing from different scouts. He also has us taking McBuckets, then Jordan Adams at 24.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/2014-nba-mock-draft--take-2-052236989.html

Also funny to imagine (if this draft were to play out) the social media reaction from fans when Charlotte took Adams instead of Hairston - who Spears has going the very next pick. It would be a Tar Heel meltdown the likes of which has never been seen.

Back