• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2014-15 Charlotte Hornets Thread

Marc Spears of Yahoo released his mock draft based on rumblings he's hearing from different scouts. He also has us taking McBuckets, then Jordan Adams at 24.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/2014-nba-mock-draft--take-2-052236989.html

I hope WE start transitioning away from the profile logo. The friendly shot is the best, but it seems like the sharp angled profile is the most prominent so far.

charlotte-hornets-logo-31.jpg

Also funny to imagine (if this draft were to play out) the social media reaction from fans when Charlotte took Adams instead of Hairston - who Spears has going the very next pick. It would be a Tar Heel meltdown the likes of which has never been seen.

Given how ticket sales exploded in the immediate period after the Ray Felton-Sean May draft I think it's safe to say UNC fans don't give a shit about the Charlotte NBA team.

Given how ticket sales exploded in the immediate period after the Ray Felton-Sean May draft I think it's safe to say UNC fans don't give a shit about the Charlotte NBA team.
Haha, true. I just love how they've been all over the Hornets Facebook and Twitter accounts hyping up Hairston like he's the next face of the NBA. I mean, I don't even know where this is coming from. Hairston? Really?

I mean Hairston is pretty perfect for the Hornets. I'm not taking him near 9 but at 24 I would. Dude would be a good fit and contribute immediately.

If Jordan consented to Cho drafting Hairston, it would be the first UNC player he's ever drafted in his NBA management career, barring the Brandan Wright draft-day trade, where the Bobcats were picking for Golden State in a prearranged deal.

That said, I'd draft Hairston at 24 without thinking twice. He showed he's pro ready in the D-League, and is the type of deep shooter the Hornets need. The character stuff I'm not as worried about, since it was primarily NCCAA-violation type things. Late first round? Yes, please.

If Jordan consented to Cho drafting Hairston, it would be the first UNC player he's ever drafted in his NBA management career, barring the Brandan Wright draft-day trade, where the Bobcats were picking for Golden State in a prearranged deal.

That said, I'd draft Hairston at 24 without thinking twice. He showed he's pro ready in the D-League, and is the type of deep shooter the Hornets need. The character stuff I'm not as worried about, since it was primarily NCCAA-violation type things. Late first round? Yes, please.

Hairston has 2 (related) problems: 1) he is a fatboy; and.2) he likes the weed. He could easily eat himself out of the league. But at 24, it's a crapshoot anyways.

Hairston has 2 (related) problems: 1) he is a fatboy; and.2) he likes the weed. He could easily eat himself out of the league. But at 24, it's a crapshoot anyways.

1) He's still athletic
2) An NBA player smoking weed is hardly shocking

I just watched Dario Saric highlights. DONOTWANT

Really? Admittedly I know very little about Saric but Chad Ford has been gushing about him lately.

9 seems down to McBuckets, Stauskis, or Gary Harris though.

Also saw a rumored trade of #9 and Henderson for Afflalo and Jameer Nelson. Not sure if I would like that even though Afflalo just came off of a great year and would fill a lot of needs. We'd also have a really good backup PG.

Really? Admittedly I know very little about Saric but Chad Ford has been gushing about him lately.

9 seems down to McBuckets, Stauskis, or Gary Harris though.

Also saw a rumored trade of #9 and Henderson for Afflalo and Jameer Nelson. Not sure if I would like that even though Afflalo just came off of a great year and would fill a lot of needs. We'd also have a really good backup PG.

Yeah, he looks like he has no lift or athleticism. And not "he's not an elite athlete," more like you can find a handful of people playing pick up ball at any YMCA who are more athletic than he is. He's 6'10" and most of his shots at the rim were layups. I know that really shouldn't matter and he's being compared to Dirk but Dirk looks more athletic than him RIGHT NOW. He also doesn't really have speed or quickness that jumps out at you.

I don't want Afflalo. He is the prototypical guy who puts up points on an absolute garbage team because somebody has to. In my mind, Henderson could have hit Afflalo's scoring numbers on that Orlando team, I don't see that as much as an upgrade other than exchanging mid-range shooting for deep shooting. But the ultimate result is about the same. And I wouldn't trade the #9 for Nelson at this point in his career with the potential available at #9. Hopefully they won't make that trade.

Afflalo is much much better than Hendo imo

I don't want Afflalo. He is the prototypical guy who puts up points on an absolute garbage team because somebody has to. In my mind, Henderson could have hit Afflalo's scoring numbers on that Orlando team, I don't see that as much as an upgrade other than exchanging mid-range shooting for deep shooting. But the ultimate result is about the same. And I wouldn't trade the #9 for Nelson at this point in his career with the potential available at #9. Hopefully they won't make that trade.

He averaged 15 ppg on 47/40/80 for a playoff team in 11-12. Numbers like that would translate very well to Charlotte.

The 'happy' Hornet is only the logo for Hugo and his appearances and brand. It won't have anything to do with the actual team.

The C shaped profile of the angry Hornet is the secondary logo, while the straight on logo with Charlotte Hornets is the primary.

Hornets-Logo-Pyramid-Layout.png

Henderson hasn't put up those kind of numbers when on similarly bad teams.

Watching that game last night, I remember going to the Bobcats Draft Party at the arena in 2011 with some friends. We were sitting around a pretty big group of others, and the general consensus among everyone was Kawhi Leonard at #7 and Kemba at #9. Stern comes up on the jumbotron and announced Bismack and you could feel the energy completely sucked out of that entire place. Every time Kawhi has a big game, I try to think about Bismack's great moments with the team and get considerably saddened.

Usually because he is hurt. I guess my point is that to seriously win in the NBA you need stars, and most stars are acquired through the draft. The teams that went deep in the playoffs all have high draft picks as their centerpieces. Afflalo is a complimentary player, just like Henderson is. If it is a straight Henderson for Afflalo trade then fine, to me that is pretty even and doesn't improve or hurt the team much either way. But throwing in that #9 pick in this year's draft with the talent available just kills it for me, because you lose the chance to maybe get that star.

Usually because he is hurt. I guess my point is that to seriously win in the NBA you need stars, and most stars are acquired through the draft. The teams that went deep in the playoffs all have high draft picks as their centerpieces. Afflalo is a complimentary player, just like Henderson is. If it is a straight Henderson for Afflalo trade then fine, to me that is pretty even and doesn't improve or hurt the team much either way. But throwing in that #9 pick in this year's draft with the talent available just kills it for me, because you lose the chance to maybe get that star.

Maybe, but I'd throw back at you that the top of the draft is as risky as it usually is. I personally love most of these guys, but here's some devils advocate: uber-talented KU wing with a weird motor, potential-laden big with serious injury issues, "is he an NBA PG?"-types, sweet shooting white hope combo forwards, etc.

Worst case, Afflalo is a top-10 SG ina league without many great SGs and a guy who would be a very good fit alongside if MKG.

Maybe, but I'd throw back at you that the top of the draft is as risky as it usually is. I personally love most of these guys, but here's some devils advocate: uber-talented KU wing with a weird motor, potential-laden big with serious injury issues, "is he an NBA PG?"-types, sweet shooting white hope combo forwards, etc.

Worst case, Afflalo is a top-10 SG ina league without many great SGs and a guy who would be a very good fit alongside if MKG.

Okay, but are you getting past the 2nd round of the playoffs with an Afflalo - MKG 2-3? Not unless you've got a really good 4 to go along with Big Al and Kemba. They have that problem anyway with Henderson-MKG, but at least they've got the draft pick. That's why I don't mind Afflalo if you can keep the pick, but I wouldn't include that pick in the deal. My preference would be to do whatever necessary to get Aaron Gordon with that pick (including maybe trying to move up a spot or two). Ideally, I'd be working the phones with the Bucks to try to give them the #9, Zeller, and maybe a first round pick next year for the #2 to get Parker, because I think he is exactly what they need. But obviously the Bucks would need to play ball with that, which they likely wouldn't.

Back