• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2014-15 Charlotte Hornets Thread

We need to start preparing for Stephenson. I'd be shocked if it didn't happen at this point.

GUYS GUYS

HENDO + MKG + #9 pick for KEVIN LOVE

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ohyj46r

MARK IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HE'S BEST FRIENDS WITH BIG AL ALREADY!!!
nba_g_love_jefferson_288v.jpg

@WojYahooNBA
Multiple teams considering Randle in and out of draft lottery have his medical info and expect him to have surgery on foot. It is an issue.

We need to start preparing for Stephenson. I'd be shocked if it didn't happen at this point.

I'm getting a sinking feeling we're going to see Stephenson on the Hornets next year. Rumors have Cho feeling out the Clippers as an offloading spot for Henderson -- taking back Dudley perhaps? -- and grabbing McBuckets at 9, Hairston at 24, and a point guard at 45. Then they resign McBob for slightly more, and bring back both traded guys -- Sessions and Adrien -- as bench cheap vets. That gives you this look with one cut to make (or making a Euro-stash draft pick instead):

Kemba/Sessions/(2nd round PG)
Stephenson/Neal/Hairston
MKG/McBuckets/Dudley/Taylor
McBob/Zeller/Adrien
Jefferson/Biyombo/Haywood

I have to say, as much as I fear giving Stephenson big money and license to shoot, a starting five of Kemba-Stephenson-MKG-McRoberts-Jefferson is damn solid in the East, and a bench unit of Sessions-Neal-McDermott-Zeller-Biyombo -- with Taylor, Adrien, Dudley, Hairston, and a rookie PG as spare parts -- isn't bad either. They could also draft a Euro with the second-rounder and stash him, or do the same with the 24th pick instead of Hairston (or, conceivably, with drafting Saric at 9 instead of McBuckets, but I think they need that impact deep shooter on next year's team).

Honestly, with Clifford coaching, that's a top-four team in the East, IMO. Assuming, you know, Stephenson isn't a total lunatic who implodes under the weight of a big deal.

Thoughts?

I think Sessions sucks balls. That guy blows more point-blank layups than anyone I've ever seen. I would rather roll with a rookie backup PG.

As to the overall picture, I just don't like that PF rotation at all with MKG in the starting lineup. The opposition basically doesn't have to guard both 3/4 positions other than the occasional lucky McBob 3. If either one of McDermott or Zeller becomes a legit NBA offensive player then you can adjust to alleviate that problem, but that's a lot of faith in white guys. Because of MKG's horrific shooting, this team needs a scoring 4 such that it can use McBob off the bench like the Spurs use Diaw.

I think Sessions sucks balls. That guy blows more point-blank layups than anyone I've ever seen. I would rather roll with a rookie backup PG.

As to the overall picture, I just don't like that PF rotation at all with MKG in the starting lineup. The opposition basically doesn't have to guard both 3/4 positions other than the occasional lucky McBob 3. If either one of McDermott or Zeller becomes a legit NBA offensive player then you can adjust to alleviate that problem, but that's a lot of faith in white guys. Because of MKG's horrific shooting, this team needs a scoring 4 such that it can use McBob off the bench like the Spurs use Diaw.

McBob is a pretty solid floor-spacer right now, and I don't think there's much question about McDermott's ability to score the ball from deep as a "legit NBA offensive player." I think you're underselling the ability of McRoberts, Zeller, and McBuckets to make baskets (Zeller had zero plays called for him all year for some reason, yet still got to a pretty nice place by the end of the season). And if MKG improves his own shooting...

I guess I just don't share that set of concerns. Mine are much more related to defense with this projected team. That said, Clifford has been great on that end. Could he actual deal with a personality like Stephenson, though?

It is an issue that I'd definitely be willing to take a risk on.
Hell yes. If he falls to 6th or 7th, would you package 9 and 24 to try to move up for him? Or just hope he falls to 9? If he's healthy, he'd be a BIG TIME pickup. We'd still have no shooting, but our frontcourt would be nasty.

Really think Randle is a top 5 talent that you'll know what to expect from. However, he's a little bit too much like Big Al and wouldn't really stretch the defense to get Al space in my opinion.

That being said, if he's there at 9 it'd be really tough to pass on.

Really think Randle is a top 5 talent that you'll know what to expect from. However, he's a little bit too much like Big Al and wouldn't really stretch the defense to get Al space in my opinion.

That being said, if he's there at 9 it'd be really tough to pass on.

TITCR

Rod Higgins stepping down. Strange timing, especially with an announcement just after midnight.

That should be a positive. The team obviously has been much better since Cho got there, and it was never really clear what Higgins' role was other than to try to get Corey Higgins on the floor.

McBob is a pretty solid floor-spacer right now, and I don't think there's much question about McDermott's ability to score the ball from deep as a "legit NBA offensive player." I think you're underselling the ability of McRoberts, Zeller, and McBuckets to make baskets (Zeller had zero plays called for him all year for some reason, yet still got to a pretty nice place by the end of the season). And if MKG improves his own shooting...

I guess I just don't share that set of concerns. Mine are much more related to defense with this projected team. That said, Clifford has been great on that end. Could he actual deal with a personality like Stephenson, though?

I don't think it is realistic to expect MKG to improve his shot. It has been horrific since he was a kid and it isn't like he hasn't had coaches trying to make it better; it is like trying to get Tebow to change his throwing motion. If it is that screwed up it isn't going to change, and I don't think it will ever get more than marginally better.

I'm just too wary of counting on McDermott given the Morrison precedent. How many mid-major white guys have had success over the past 10 or 15 years? Maybe Gordon Hayward and to a lesser extent Kyle Korver as strictly a spot-up shooter? That's really it (off the top of my head, though I am happy to be proven wrong). Even Van Horn was a journeyman, and he had more talent than McDermott IMO. At least we know Stauskas played against some legit competition.

I agree the jury is out on Zeller. I like his skill set and he plays hard, so we'll see. That said, is there any possibility at all that Kevin Love is in the picture?

TJ Warren and Douglas McBuckets are both working out for the Hornets tomorrow.

14a6C7.Em.138.jpeg

“Skilled, smart, really good basketball IQ and high, high character,” Clifford said when asked about McDermott, who stayed four years at Creighton.

At 6-foot-8, McDermott shot 45 percent from the college 3-point line. There’s been some talk of McDermott playing power forward, but Clifford says “his size will dictate that he’s a small forward.”
McDermott will be challenged at the NBA level to guard shorter, quicker players at small forward. He appreciates the difference in athleticism between opponents in college and what he might see in the NBA. But he’s not deterred.

“I think I’ll be fine. It will be an adjustment, but in the NBA it’s team defense – you have a lot of great defenders on the floor” to help, McDermott said. “I’m ready to prove I can do it.”

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...dermott-and-tj-warren-same.html#storylink=cpy

Rick Bonnell ‏@rick_bonnell
Observer source: Hornets forward Josh McRoberts has opted out of his contract and will be an unrestricted free agent in July.

Rick Bonnell ‏@rick_bonnell
Observer source: Hornets forward Josh McRoberts has opted out of his contract and will be an unrestricted free agent in July.

Completely reasonable move for McRoberts. He needs to get out of the east so Lebron doesn't decide to kick his ass one night too.

Back