• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

McCreary Indoor Practice Center - Collegiate Arms Race Thread

We went to the NC State Fair last week and parked out by cow college's new indoor football facility and it's impressive. Hope ours will be as well. :thumbsup:

I kind of want to steal that Bronco tbh

There must be a shortage of Virginia bricks given the snails pace of progress on this thing. 14 months is it now ?

There must be a shortage of Virginia bricks given the snails pace of progress on this thing. 14 months is it now ?

Took much longer to build the foundation than expected after we demolished the excellent field that was in its place. The first contractor was fired after digging the hole way deeper than needed and an inexperienced contractor was brought in to dig us out of the hole.

Baseball donors step up again:

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/111815aaa.html

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – Wake Forest Athletics began work on Monday on the first phase of a planned $14 million player development center. Construction of the $9.5 million initial phase was made possible by the gifts of a number of generous donors.

When complete, the state-of-the-art, 41,000 square foot facility will include a team locker room, team lounge, training room, equipment room, video conference room, team meeting room, a full kitchen, coaches offices, professional players locker space, a Wake Forest baseball heritage area and an indoor batting facility. Plans for the project also include renovation and relocation of the home dugout and bullpen and construction of a pitching laboratory, complete with 18 high-speed cameras designed to analyze the biomechanics of each player.

The player development center will be located along the third-base line at Wake Forest Baseball Park. The Demon Deacons’ home dugout will be relocated to the third-base side of the stadium, and the pitching lab will be built adjacent to the renovated bullpen. Construction of the initial phase is expected to be complete in January 2017.

Fundraising efforts are still underway for future phases of construction and renovations to Wake Forest Baseball Park, including the 100’x100’ indoor batting facility, which will be adjacent to the player development center and will be constructed without interior supporting posts, giving the Wake Forest coaching and training staffs maximum flexibility in their use of the space. Above the facility, plans call for renovations to the concessions stands and restrooms as well as a concourse-level viewing area that could be utilized for both Wake Forest baseball and football games and for other special events.

“As college coaches we are in the business of developing men of character, giving them a meaningful degree and helping them reach their maximum potential as a baseball player,” said head baseball coach Tom Walter. “This facility will set the bar nationally in all three of those areas.”

“The player development center is going to have a significant impact on the training of our student-athletes and overall excellence of our baseball program, and we are grateful to all of the generous donors who helped us get to this point.” said Director of Athletics Ron Wellman.

A ceremonial groundbreaking event is being planned for early 2016. More details will follow.

11497072.jpeg

11497075.jpeg

11497078.jpeg

11497064.jpeg

Deserving of its own thread, I think. Huge stuff for the baseball program.

Deserving of its own thread, I think. Huge stuff for the baseball program.

Noted. Can't wait for that thread to devolve into discussions about academic aid to baseball, jucos, and george greer. I'll give it 9.5 posts as the o/u.

Please, some new pictures. Live out of state and can't see the progress.

That Reynolds addition has made a lot of progress recently. Looks really good.

Once again Bob, thanks for the photos !

Looking back on your photos earlier this Fall, it's odd how little progress has been made. Granted, your picture taking vantage point is from Miller, but in every pic you've posted I've not seen more than 6 or 7 workers on the job. By comparison, Deacon Tower, a much larger and more complex project, moved along at a brisk pace and always seemed to have a beehive of worker activity daily. The same was so as we watched the massive 6-story video board go up. I know someone said the original contractor screwed-up and was replaced but honestly, this is a glorified airplane hanger and should be much further along if not finished by now. I suspect this thing is over budget by now.

Once again Bob, thanks for the photos !

Looking back on your photos earlier this Fall, it's odd how little progress has been made. Granted, your picture taking vantage point is from Miller, but in every pic you've posted I've not seen more than 6 or 7 workers on the job. By comparison, Deacon Tower, a much larger and more complex project, moved along at a brisk pace and always seemed to have a beehive of worker activity daily. The same was so as we watched the massive 6-story video board go up. I know someone said the original contractor screwed-up and was replaced but honestly, this is a glorified airplane hanger and should be much further along if not finished by now. I suspect this thing is over budget by now.

Might be explained by Wake having at least 5 major construction projects going on this fall: HES building attached to the law school, new dorm, Reynolds addition, Indoor Practice Center, and a new Golf Clubhouse. Not sure how many of those Long is doing.

So the Sports Performance Center is a completely separate project from what's already being built? Has that been funded yet. Apologies if there is a thread for this already.

Yes DG. Totally different project. It's not funded completely yet, but I think we are getting closer. The SPC is the project that Ben Sutton and Bob McCreary offered matching funds. Basically, if the Deacon Club could come up with $10M, they would each put in $5M. Something like that. I think the entire project is $32M.

Back