• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

McCreary Indoor Practice Center - Collegiate Arms Race Thread

I hope everyone against a move like this is contributing to the annual fund so we don't need the cash!

It's not a LOWF move if you are bringing in 3x what you normally make at BB&T Field. It's just a good business decision.

That's a valid point, but you're giving up good exposure of our stadium. Our home game vs. ND was a prime time ABC split coverage game. I was at the game, but DVR'ed the broadcast and there were blimp shots of our stadium that looked great. Not saying that's worth as much as the money you're talking about, but it was very good exposure for us to host a game like that.

Another $15 million gift to WF Athletics: http://www.wakeforestsports.com/genrel/110116aac.html

$30 million to WF Athletics in the last two weeks? Wow. Kudos to Ben Sutton.

The facility and money excuse no longer exists. The fact is that WF will be equal to if not have an edge on most Power V schools.

:squint:

I'm not sure this is true. I think we are making up some huge ground, but certainly not pulling into any sort of lead.

Like any good arms race, whatever lead or edge gained here is gonna be gone pretty quickly. We're just getting up to ACC levels. Still nowhere near the top of the SEC/B1G.

I would need to have some serious FU money to even imagine giving $30 million to Wake to spend on sports.

:squint:

I'm not sure this is true. I think we are making up some huge ground, but certainly not pulling into any sort of lead.

Getting $30 million in two gifts for athletic facility improvements in such a short period of time is unusual for any school. Agree that Bama and Ohio State will always have more money and better resources, but don't forget that Power V conferences also include Purdue, Illinois, Rutgers, Washington State, Iowa State, Utah, Pitt and bunch of other schools that lack state of the art facilities. The larger point is that the "we don't have the facilities" excuse does not exist with the current investments being made by WF.

Getting $30 million in two gifts for athletic facility improvements in such a short period of time is unusual for any school. Agree that Bama and Ohio State will always have more money and better resources, but don't forget that Power V conferences also include Purdue, Illinois, Rutgers, Washington State, Iowa State, Utah, Pitt and bunch of other schools that lack state of the art facilities. The larger point is that the "we don't have the facilities" excuse does not exist with the current investments being made by WF.

Endowments of the schools you mentioned:

Pittsburgh: $3.589 BN
Illinois: $3.3 BN
Purdue: $2.398 BN
Wake Forest: $1.167 BN
Utah: $1.023 BN
Rutgers: $1.009 BN
WSU: $868 MM
ISU: $786 MM

Endowments aren't the same as athletic dept budgets or campus facilities, but as a proxy, they're decent enough for measuring our capital investment opportunity. Truth is, we're middle to bottom of the pack compared to most P5 schools in terms of our ability to pay for the athletic program's growth. These 8 figure donations are incredible. I question how sustainable they are, and reiterate that they're bringing us to the present not really setting us up for being a leader by any means.

Back